I think some of us need to back up and think...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I try to understand that most people don't really understand the personnel issues. When you don't, it's easy to throw out posts like most of these in these threads. One of the other mods PMed me a couple of days before it became public and told me about Moses' knee. He said he'd thrown his iPhone across the room (only cracked the screen) and said "We're screwed." We lost the other ILB who had experience, also to injury and one very talented guy turned out to be a head case and disappeared. We started as many as six pure freshman at one point. We're not only thin; we're young and inexperienced in a couple of crucial areas. The job done by the coaches this year on defense is little short of miraculous, given the the circumstances. It makes it very hard to read a lot of the uninformed posts blaming the coaches (and everyone under the sun) in these threads...
I fully believe this 100 percent. That is why I stayed away from the board until today to digest what happened and had to remind myself that we are young.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
No one is perfect. He's just far better than most and his record shows it. He's really the object of envy of other coaches...
As much as you've tried to explain it, people just don't get it. I mean we win and they expect it every season. Where were they during the DuBose, Fran, & Shula era?

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Some were probably in elementary school.
I remember being in the stadium for that UCF debacle under DuBose when the last kickoff....wasn't our fullback, McClintoc, laying on a UCF player and punching him?

And then DuBose apologized in his post game press conference?

Oh those were the days.

And then "hold the rope."

And then "its rollin baby."

And then Shula, and then "we've gotta stop that inside trap."

My family had TidePride tickets during the worst time of Alabama football.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
As much as you've tried to explain it, people just don't get it. I mean we win and they expect it every season. Where were they during the DuBose, Fran, & Shula era?
I'll tell you where I was: watching Alabama football and apparently "staring down the barrel of a gun." Thank God those days are over!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I remember being in the stadium for that UCF debacle under DuBose when the last kickoff....wasn't our fullback, McClintoc, laying on a UCF player and punching him?

And then DuBose apologized in his post game press conference?

Oh those were the days.

And then "hold the rope."

And then "its rollin baby."

And then Shula, and then "we've gotta stop that inside trap."

My family had TidePride tickets during the worst time of Alabama football.
didn't we have a player(s) do something similar at the end of the 2006 barn game. i was there and remember some stupid crap happening at the end. i also remember thanking the barners who were taunting us as we walked out of the stadium for getting shula fired.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
With all the back and forth about what can and should be done, how to fix it, blaming coaches, blaming players, and on and on what is the answer? After having some time to reflect on the outcome and Bama's defense overall the past couple of years there is only one answer. You have to hit on big time defensive line recruits. That is the beginning and end. You need 4 to 5 guys that can put their hand in the dirt and go disrupt the offense all alone. They have to regularly penetrate into the backfield. The best way to disrupt an offense isn't the edge guys it's the guys lining up over the guards and center. Pushing the pocket back into the QB's face is the best thing you can do to throw off a passing play. This also disrupts the timing of running plays.

Even doing the things talked about previously there are still players like Watson out there that on a given day will get you anyway. On the defensive side of the ball no player is more important than the big man that can attack and get into the backfield in modern college football. College football has changed to the point that the "mush rush" philosophy is dead. You have to get into the backfield immediately, and hope it's enough.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
SIAP - Here's a list of defensive players the coaching staff had hoped or expected to be back this season:

- Mack Wilson
- Deionte Thompson
- Eyabi Anoma

And then a list of guys they expected to have available for this season

- Dylan Moses
- LaBryan Ray
- Josh McMillon

Looking at this it's pretty clear to see why we're struggling defensively and Saban's comment about how we can't just crap out another 5*. Imagine our defense with all those guys on the field or available. I bet we hold LSU to around 20 points instead of 40+..

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
SIAP - Here's a list of defensive players the coaching staff had hoped or expected to be back this season:

- Mack Wilson
- Deionte Thompson
- Eyabi Anoma

- Dylan Moses
- LaBryan Ray
- Josh McMillon

Looking at this it's pretty clear to see why we're struggling defensively and Saban's comment about how we can't just crap out another 5*. Imagine our defense with all those guys on the field or available. I bet we hold LSU to around 20 points instead of 40+..
Best post of the day!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

- Mack Wilson
- Deionte Thompson
- Eyabi Anoma

- Dylan Moses
- LaBryan Ray
- Josh McMillon

Mack mentally moved on to the NFL after the 2017 championship. He was taking up space last year, and playing poorly while doing so. I know that you guys support your players, and you should, but Mack needed to go.

But this is a great post that demonstrates the losses not completely obvious to those who do not follow the program closely.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Mack mentally moved on to the NFL after the 2017 championship. He was taking up space last year, and playing poorly while doing so. I know that you guys support your players, and you should, but Mack needed to go.

But this is a great post that demonstrates the losses not completely obvious to those who do not follow the program closely.
And that's not even discussing the role Alfano was supposed to play as a true frosh

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

- Mack Wilson
- Deionte Thompson
- Eyabi Anoma

- Dylan Moses
- LaBryan Ray
- Josh McMillon

What a sobering post. Man that says it all.

As an aside, I read this morning that Moses requested to dress out for the game (because he's from Baton Rouge) in order to help motivate the team. I REALLY hope they get another crack at those clowns for his sake. No doubt it helped during the second half comeback. We just didn't quite have enough.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What a sobering post. Man that says it all.

As an aside, I read this morning that Moses requested to dress out for the game (because he's from Baton Rouge) in order to help motivate the team. I REALLY hope they get another crack at those clowns for his sake. No doubt it helped during the second half comeback. We just didn't quite have enough.
I'm afraid what the committee (indeed, the general public) will remember is the first half, when LSU appeared dominating, and not the comeback...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

- Mack Wilson
- Deionte Thompson
- Eyabi Anoma

- Dylan Moses
- LaBryan Ray
- Josh McMillon

You illustrated the point of my thread better than I did... :D

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I thought Saban was supposed to be a master evaluator of talent. If so, how on earth could this be true?
Because the recruiting services rank a player as Bama's top D recruit in no way indicates that that is how Saban and staff have them ranked.

And one thing is for certain - Saban is a great evaluator of talent. The recruiting services and other programs watch Bama's evaluations carefully, very carefully.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.