So, I am about to buy a house... Need help

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So, I decided to buy a home. Will close in about a month if everything goes smoothly. I am going to have to buy new everything like washer/dryer/fridge/etc. I am needing recommendations on best brands to buy for those? Best store to buy from? I like the top loading washers best because I know the front loading ones are prone to mildew if you don't keep the seal dry plus my body prefers not having to bend down to get laundry out of the washer. LOL.

My mom and brother uses a Speed Queen, which they both love. I am kinda leaning that way for washer part of things, but am wanting some recommendations.

Also, any recommendations for contractors around the Huntsville area? Hoping to refloor and paint before I move in.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
And I realized I put this in the wrong forum. Sorry. Please move to the non-political board :eek2:

while it's still here I'll answer

go with scratch and dent stuff

in Atlanta and elsewhere we have a chain called Appliancesmart it's all scratch and dent or you can order new to match something scratch and dent you bought. Did my entire kitchen there. $4000 oven for 1800 and it has a dent the size of a golf ball in one visible corner. The fridge I bought and the dishwasher had small dents in spots that would be hidden by cabinets and other stuff I bought new to match. Saved thousands

Bottom line your fridge will die in a few years no matter what you get so find a deal and don't get wrapped up in features. Don't spend a lot there as it is the first thing you will replace anyway. Dishwasher will likely go next, go with cheapest/quietest that has the aesthetics you want for your kitchen. Ovens, cooktops (gas) and hoods last forever ok to spend here but still scratch and dents are great options. I am sure Huntsville has places like this

Washer and Drier I've had LG Frontloaders for years. Going strong for 12 years. Leave the washer open always when not running and have never had mold

good luck and congrats

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Jessica --

Jon has given some excellent advice on the scratch-and-dent appliances. I think there's a place in Birmingham that does that. Even if you have to rent a truck and go to Atlanta to pick it all up at the place he suggests, he's right...it'll save you a ton of money.

Go to Consumer Reports for ratings on quality & durability. Again, given the money you're going to be spending, it's well worth the $35 or so cost if you're not already a member.

You didn't ask this, but I'm going to offer some financial advice: Pay off your mortgage as soon as you can.

I speak from experience. Mrs. Basket Case and I financed our first house in 1990 at 9.25%, on a 30-year note. Believe it or not, that was a pretty good rate at the time. Two years later, rates had declined significantly, and we refinanced at 6.125% -- and this is important -- this time, on a 15 year note. The way the math works is really interesting here. Because of the decline in rates, our monthly payment actually went down by $13 even though we cut the amortization in half.

So that was 1992. We promised ourselves that, 15 years from then, we'd have our house paid for. We might trade up or move for whatever reason, but by 2007, we'd be mortgage free. And we did that. Moved a couple of times, and each time traded up. We moved in 1994, and paid that mortgage on a 13-year schedule. We moved again in 1996, and paid that one on an 11-year schedule. Always set to have $0 debt on the house by 2007.

I cannot express how liberating that is. You may or may not have GTH money, but having a GTH debt position is the next best thing. It was a huge mental buoy when we both went through some extreme dissatisfaction with jobs. Worst case, we could tell The Man where to stuff it, walk out, and not worry about cracking that nut on the first of the next month. Even though we both worked through the issues, just knowing the escape hatch was there was incredibly calming.

DO NOT FALL FOR THE LINE MORTGAGE LENDERS ARE PUTTING OUT.

They will tell you, "Borrow at 4% (or whatever the current rate is), keep it on the longest schedule you can, keep your payment as low as possible, invest the rest of your disposable income and earn 8-9% over the long haul. At the end of 15 years, you'll have enough in your investments to pay off the mortgage. Why would you not use 4% money to earn 8-9%?"

Here's why not:

A. There's a huge conflict of interest there in that they make their money keeping you in debt. They also make more money when the terms are longer, if for no other reason than the balance is higher. As much as they want you to think they're your friend, they're not. The cold hard truth is that buyers have no friends in the house-buying process. Everybody's smiling and patting you on the back....all the while with their fingers in your wallet. You're the cash cow, and they're all feeding off of you. No matter how much they love on you, never forget that.

B. The math they're referencing can be accurate, but only if a bunch of things happen:
1. You have to invest the difference between the 30 year payment and, say, a 15 year payment, every single month. No exceptions. Not ever. No, "I really need this vacation." No, "It's just this once." No, "My car crapped out, and I'll get back on track next year." No, "It's Christmas and I have to buy presents." Very few people have the discipline to do that for 15 straight years.

2. The stock market needs to be normal in the 2-3 years leading up to the payoff date. Trouble is, it goes up and down. Definite sawtooth up, and that's what makes it the best vehicle for building wealth. But if you happen to have a 20% - 30% correction (which isn't at all unusual) going on when you expected to be paying off your mortgage, the value might not be there.

3. Meanwhile, you're still shelling out the 30-year payment. In other words, it's still a lot of cash out and you have that nut to crack for an additional 15 years. Accounting intricacies notwithstanding, freeing up the cash that used to go to mortgage opens up tons of new investment opportunities.

So here's what I'd suggest:
-- Have your mortgage note at 25 - 30 years. But you can pay more than the required payment, and they're bound by law to apply the extra to principal.
-- Figure the 15-year payment, and pay that. I know it looks like a more than you were anticipating, but I promise that after a few months, it just gets baked into your lifestyle. Plus, that extra is what they're telling you to invest anyway -- If you don't invest it somewhere, all that stuff they're telling you doesn't work at all.
-- An added benefit is that, if you do have a true no-foolin' emergency -- medical issue, loss of job, loss of income -- you have a fallback position that's a little less expensive than what you're used to.

Example:
$150,000 mortgage, 4% APR, 30 year term, has monthly debt service (not counting PMI, tax & insurance escrows....just debt service) of $716.12. If you cut it to 15 years, it's $1,109.53 -- about $400 difference.

Here's the magic: If you make 360 easy monthly payments of $716.12, you'll shell out just shy of $258K over the life of the mortgage. But if you make 180 payments of $1,109.53, you pay a total of just under $200K -- saving about $58K in cash flow. Mortgage lender didn't mention that, did he?

Adjust those numbers for your personal situation, but the concept holds no matter your actual numbers.

Suze Orman has a great line, "Debt is bondage." She's right. And when you're no longer in bondage, you'll be amazed at how good it feels, how much you just don't worry about, and how many options (both personal and financial) are open to you.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
1. Stay away from Best Buy
2. I've had pretty good luck with Home Depot and Sears. You can often haggle for a better price at Sears.
3. LG washers & dryers are pretty good.
4. Stay away from Whirlpool.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've been hoping to run into you in downtown Decatur, sounds like I missed my chance.

I can help with painters if you are still here, but Hunstsville is a little out of their range.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Good advice in this thread.

Keep in mind that the more special features that get packed into the appliances, the more opportunities there are for something to go wrong. And many of the special features are more marketing than substance.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
+1 on Sears. They have a good selection, and run a lot of sales. They also have sales people that can help.

The scratch and dent, or seconds, is a good way to go also.

You can spend as much as you want on appliances, but figure out what you really need. Extra dollars for gadgets are a waste of money imo.

There is/was some discussion on the Strip about clothes washers, and it seems the consensus is to get a top loader rather than side loader.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
https://www.fredericksons.com

Wholesale place in Sheffield AL, but they also have scratch and dent. If you have a friend that has a truck, you can actually have them deliver to a warehouse here in town and avoid the 9% hsv sales tax. Could also rent a box truck, but by the time you do that you rent, you've likely eaten into your savings.

The wife and I outfitted out kitchen from here. Very happy with the results.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
I've had really good luck with buying clearance appliances from Lowe's.

I've made really low-ball offers on returned appliances at more than one Lowe's location over the past few years and they've always accepted the offers. Just make sure you are dealing with someone who has the authority to accept the offer.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
What about homeowner insurance? I have auto through Progressive. I got a quote from them for around $950 for the year. I don't know all what I need to make sure I have covered. Any help with that will be great as well.

On the appliances, there are a couple places in Birmingham I might go look at for scratch and dent stuff. I don't want fancy stuff. Just something that does its job.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
What about homeowner insurance? I have auto through Progressive. I got a quote from them for around $950 for the year. I don't know all what I need to make sure I have covered. Any help with that will be great as well.

On the appliances, there are a couple places in Birmingham I might go look at for scratch and dent stuff. I don't want fancy stuff. Just something that does its job.
Regarding homeowner’s insurance, be sure you have two things:
1. Coverage for the full replacement value of the house, not just the amount of the mortgage. The lender requires only enough to pay themselves off if it is destroyed. If you don’t have full replacement, and something nasty like a tornado or fire happens, you lose your equity.

2. Be sure you have enough on covered contents. It’s dang expensive to replace furniture, china, clothing, electronics, all the stuff you touch every day. Your agent should be able to help there.

Don’t cheap out on the extent of your coverage. If it costs too much to get what you need, take a look at pricing with higher deductibles.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Having trouble with obtaining quotes for insurance through the online means. They say based on what I told them they can't quote me online. Wonder what that's about?

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
https://www.fredericksons.com

Wholesale place in Sheffield AL, but they also have scratch and dent. If you have a friend that has a truck, you can actually have them deliver to a warehouse here in town and avoid the 9% hsv sales tax. Could also rent a box truck, but by the time you do that you rent, you've likely eaten into your savings.

The wife and I outfitted out kitchen from here. Very happy with the results.
We had a fridge from Frederickson's last 25 years before the compressor gave out. It was a GE. That model was the last year they made a decent compressor.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
This is good advice. You will be amazed at how much your rate will change with a 5,000 dollar deductible. You don't want to make a claim on every little thing that goes wrong. If you do your rate will go through the roof.
Regarding homeowner’s insurance, be sure you have two things:
1. Coverage for the full replacement value of the house, not just the amount of the mortgage. The lender requires only enough to pay themselves off if it is destroyed. If you don’t have full replacement, and something nasty like a tornado or fire happens, you lose your equity.

2. Be sure you have enough on covered contents. It’s dang expensive to replace furniture, china, clothing, electronics, all the stuff you touch every day. Your agent should be able to help there.

Don’t cheap out on the extent of your coverage. If it costs too much to get what you need, take a look at pricing with higher deductibles.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Can someone explain this to me about the dwelling coverage I am seeing on home insurance quotes?

One company has my dwelling at $247,000 and it states under the settlement option of the quote "replacement cost." This is around $1,100 for the year.

The other company has my dwelling at $191,000 but also a 150% dwelling replacement cost listed. This is around $950 for the year.

What does each mean?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Can someone explain this to me about the dwelling coverage I am seeing on home insurance quotes?

One company has my dwelling at $247,000 and it states under the settlement option of the quote "replacement cost." This is around $1,100 for the year.

The other company has my dwelling at $191,000 but also a 150% dwelling replacement cost listed. This is around $950 for the year.

What does each mean?
Companies have different ways of valuing the house, so its hard to say what is driving the difference in price. Would have to read the whole policy, but each likely means:

Replacement cost = they will pay to replace the house, even if it exceeds the quoted amount. Typically it's called Guaranteed Replacement Cost. This is useful as property values rise. As it becomes more expensive to rebuild a like kind house, they will cover the costs. People tend to not review their coverage and can be underinsured on their dwelling value after a number of years.

150% dwelling replacement = they will pay to replace your home up to $191k + 50% (total of $286k). This is also meant to be a hedge against rising replacement costs, but either your insurance company needs to have an annual COL / COR adjustment factor that raises your dwelling coverage or you need to be diligent about reviewing the coverage with your agent. Chances are, if you are in the house for any length of time and never adjust your coverage, you may find that the actual cost to replace is more expensive that what your insurance policy covers.

But don't take an internet forums word on all this. Check with your insurance agent and have them describe in detail and in plain English what each policy covers and at what level. And, regardless of who you choose, review all your coverages annually (home, auto, life, etc).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.