Just my opinion re: the loss & Bama’s team

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Here's something that kind of irks me:

there is a sort of "reputation" out there that if Alabama can't bully you and knock you flat out, they quit. The entire "evidence" for this is us getting blown out by Clemson last year. Go back and look at some recent tough ones.....and how we have literally not given up until the final bell.

1) 2018 SECCG
Trailed UGA by 14 TWICE - lost the starting QB - and won.

2) 2018 CFPNCG
Trailed UGA by 13 TWICE, had a freshman QB on a 2nd and 26 - and won.

3) 2016 Ole Miss
We trailed by 21 points just a few minutes before halftime - and won the damn game.

4) 2015 Ole Miss
We trailed by 20 points and closed it to six.
We then trailed by 19 points and closed it to six AND had the ball with a chance to win.

5) 2014 Ohio State
We trailed by 13 and then later by 14.
Down by 14 with 2 minutes left and hit Amari to cut it to 7.
Forced a punt and got the ball back with 1:25 left.

Sims threw a bomb to the end zone that if we catch ties the game (well, assuming our kicker makes it but WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK HE WOULD NOT!!!???)

6) 2014 LSU
This - we were absolutely dead to rights and out of the playoff.........and then wow!

7) 2012 Texas A/M
Yes, we lost.

But we were down, 20-0, early to a team that averaged over 50 ppg that year.
We cut it to five and if it had not been for the worst playcalling I've ever seen, we win that one, too.

8) 2012 LSU
Couldn't do squat - 91 seconds left - let's drive and win.

The reality is that we never quit even when punched hard and all but out.

I don't even think we quit in the Clemson game last year, but they did break our spirit in that game.

Great post and reminders of the toughness and tenacity. There was that tenacity in the 2nd half of the LSU game. I think some are still recovering from seeing the team look so out of sorts and down vs Clemson.....and then seeing it again in the biggest game this season in the first half.

I'm guessing its a mix of coaching turnover, injuries, departures, youth and not being pushed in a game often enough....they played so tight in the first half and just had an avalanche of mistakes all over the place. That's really why I was so pleased with the second half, mostly....I didn't want to see them fold it up like in the Clemson game....there was fight there. And with a few plays, like pushing a running back out of bounds, that our offense has the ball vs a tired defense with a chance to go up 41-40....after being down 33-13.

Clean up the first half....don't have the poor plays on the drive when we were down 19-13, don't fumble on the first drive, don't throw the interception and have the personal foul.....well....the game may have been tied or Bama up and then winning by multiple scores in the second half.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
the old saying of "You can't win the game in the first qtr but you can lose the game in the first qtr by making mistakes" rings tru in this one. the offense should not have many toes left with all the times they shot themselves in the foot. the defense...what 25 missed tackles? Get back to basics, wrap up and drive through. tired of all this shoulder tackling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.