What is the status of Tua's ankle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
If Tua's able to play, I'd start him in both games. But I'd pull him as soon as the games are in hand. That keeps him from getting too rusty, keeps the rhythm of the offense in place, but also gives Mac some meaningful reps going into the Iron Bowl.
That's kind of normally what we do. And I think it's a great idea. RTR.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think rust was a big problem with Tua's bad first half v. LSU. He got better passing as his limp got worse...which seems paradoxical but it was not his plant foot so it adds up a bit. I do think it is important that he continue to practice and play so he can get back into good shape by Auburn.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
We could also sit him against MSU and play him a quarter and a half against WCU. That way he gets rest and also some reps.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The only problem I see sitting him for an extended period of time is rustiness. There was NO DOUBT the entire first half was Tua adjusting to not playing for 21 days. The double edge of that sword would be him being inserted after sitting for two games then laying a complete egg in the Iron Bowl because of lack of reps. There was no doubt he had knocked the rust off in the second half of this weekend's game when he was throwing lasers all over the field. Compared to fumbling, bumbling and throwing an ill advised pick in the first half.
The 1st half of the LSU game was the picture of RUST.
Tua's timing was off, our receivers were out of rhythm because Tua didn't pass to them.
Tua missed a couple of weeks of receiving the ball from the center.
Tua tried to force some passes to make up for his fumble. Made things worse.
LSU intercepted the ball...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Might be that Tua has too much juice in big games on the account of his rough starts v. Clemson and LSU. He also had a boneheaded INT early in his play time each game against UGA.

Perhaps the staff should call more stuff like what they did with Mac Jones v. Arkansas to ease him into the game.

Last edited:

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Sounds like tua needs to get better at handling the pressure of a big game,like a surgeon,or a pilot or snake stabler. Don't know if you can learn that trait or not maybe you have it or you don't. Coach Bryant called them intangibles.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
The only problem I see sitting him for an extended period of time is rustiness. There was NO DOUBT the entire first half was Tua adjusting to not playing for 21 days. The double edge of that sword would be him being inserted after sitting for two games then laying a complete egg in the Iron Bowl because of lack of reps. There was no doubt he had knocked the rust off in the second half of this weekend's game when he was throwing lasers all over the field. Compared to fumbling, bumbling and throwing an ill advised pick in the first half.
Yep if people think he was rusty against LSU lets just sit him for two more games and then throw him in against one of the best defenses he'll face on the road and we'll be a-ok!:rolleye2:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Sounds like tua needs to get better at handling the pressure of a big game,like a surgeon,or a pilot or snake stabler. Don't know if you can learn that trait or not maybe you have it or you don't. Coach Bryant called them intangibles.

Yea Lord knows he doesn't show up to the "big games":rolleye2: My my how people forget him against UGA...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Might be that Tua has too much juice in big games on the account of his rough starts v. Clemson and LSU. He also had a boneheaded INT early in his play time each game against UGA.

Perhaps the staff should call more stuff like what they did with Mac Jones v. Arkansas to ease him into the game.
He had 4 tds to 1 int and it was only his 3rd of the year!!!

It's not like he crumbles. Great QBs still throw INT. I haven't checked it lately, but last time I did the best QBs in the NFL have a 4 to 1 TD/INT ratio.

The NFL career leader is Aaron Rogers who's percentage is 4.33 (355 TDs to 82 INTs)

On the year Tua is 10.33 (31 TDs to 3 INTs)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yea Lord knows he doesn't show up to the "big games":rolleye2: My my how people forget him against UGA...
I think Tua shows up to big games just fine, but he doesn't always adjust his play to his physical limitations and the abilities of the opposition. 7 of his 11 career interceptions came against top 4 teams. I'm not going to do the math, but obviously his turnover ratio skyrockets and that's why he has a relatively mortal 150ish quarterback rating in those games (yes, including the UGA comeback). He can make throws, even on one leg but sometimes the question is should he.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Tua shows up to big games just fine, but he doesn't always adjust his play to his physical limitations and the abilities of the opposition. 7 of his 11 career interceptions came against top 4 teams. I'm not going to do the math, but obviously his turnover ratio skyrockets and that's why he has a relatively mortal 150ish quarterback rating in those games (yes, including the UGA comeback). He can make throws, even on one leg but sometimes the question is should he.
It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that QBs throw more INTs against good defenses than bad. Sometimes you have to give credit to the defense.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that QBs throw more INTs against good defenses than bad. Sometimes you have to give credit to the defense.
It's a factor, but for instance Coker had a 175 rating and 0 INTs in his three games against top 4 teams. Your response would probably be something like yeah, Coker didn't throw as much and we both be on the same page in terms of what I think the solution is. Remember, even counting the Georgia comeback game, Tua is 4-2 in top 4 matchups. Had he not been knocked out of the second Georgia game, he would have been 3-3. That's really not great.

There is an issue there when you have someone as talented as Tua. Some people here claimed he'd never lose, and he probably wouldn't if he played with more restraint when the situation calls for it.

Edit: Some of that is on the OC.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It's a factor, but for instance Coker had a 175 rating and 0 INTs in his three games against top 4 teams. Your response would probably be something like yeah, Coker didn't throw as much and we both be on the same page in terms of what I think the solution is. Remember, even counting the Georgia comeback game, Tua is 4-2 in top 4 matchups. Had he not been knocked out of the second Georgia game, he would have been 3-3. That's really not great.

There is an issue there when you have someone as talented as Tua. Some people here claimed he'd never lose, and he probably wouldn't if he played with more restraint when the situation calls for it.

And how many of those games was he healthy?

Geez guys!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It's always the nitpicking after a loss...
I know....

We all cope differently. I've tried to hide from it ;) -- but it keeps finding me......

I think that we play better after a loss. We'd all like to relive 2009 and go undefeated -- but we've won 4 since without that happening. And in 2009, basically we should have lost UT game -- (so that was our "loss" for all practical purposes).....

Looking back at it. I really felt like at the start of the 4th quarter, we were going to win. To me, the RB hurt us more than Burrow did. We stop him, we win.... but LSU had the benefit of a mobile QB, we did not. That was the difference in the game and what we could run on offense.

It's not Tua's fault. I think Mac Jones would have been over his head.... we needed a gunslinger in that game.

I think the young man did an amazing job. The fumble was a fluky thing that happens to us in games when we lose. The punt debacle. The missed XP. The missing a first down by centimeters. The in/out/in pass that LSU got -- was a HUGE turnaround.

We had everything go against us -- yet still were right there.

And one final thing --

We never have a "rebuilding" year -- despite losing two dozen players over the past two years -- and what, 13 coaches? We STILL are "right there" -- yet again....

And yet, people critique Saban to find any nitpicky little flaw.... we criticize Tua? Jeudy? Two TRUE freshmen LBs?

(heavy sigh!) -- okay, I'm better now :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Wait - so the losses are on Tua? The loss to LSU is absolutely not on Tua. If not for Tua, you lose by 40. The loss to Clemson was not on Tua. You guys were out-coached in every possible way in that game. Those are the only 2 losses with Tua at QB.

You are looking for answers in all the wrong places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.