What is the status of Tua's ankle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He was limping pretty badly at the end of the game.
Well, for reference, he's said that it was May before he felt normal after the last surgery and subsequent games. I'm sure that the game churned up the inflammation pretty well. I wouldn't mind playing Mac the next two games, with Tua ready to come in off the bench if needed...

RTRinBR

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA USA
I agree 100%. Don't think we need Tua for the next two and he needs to resting that ankle. Just worry about him getting a little "rusty" with his timing.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I don't know the status but the oddmakers have him listed a questionable. Personally I'd save him for Auburn. We can win the next two with Mac.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't know the status but the oddmakers have him listed a questionable. Personally I'd save him for Auburn. We can win the next two with Mac.
The only problem I see sitting him for an extended period of time is rustiness. There was NO DOUBT the entire first half was Tua adjusting to not playing for 21 days. The double edge of that sword would be him being inserted after sitting for two games then laying a complete egg in the Iron Bowl because of lack of reps. There was no doubt he had knocked the rust off in the second half of this weekend's game when he was throwing lasers all over the field. Compared to fumbling, bumbling and throwing an ill advised pick in the first half.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
If Tua's able to play, I'd start him in both games. But I'd pull him as soon as the games are in hand. That keeps him from getting too rusty, keeps the rhythm of the offense in place, but also gives Mac some meaningful reps going into the Iron Bowl.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If Tua's able to play, I'd start him in both games. But I'd pull him as soon as the games are in hand. That keeps him from getting too rusty, keeps the rhythm of the offense in place, but also gives Mac some meaningful reps going into the Iron Bowl.
I like this plan. Stay sharp, bench him at the half, build depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, for reference, he's said that it was May before he felt normal after the last surgery and subsequent games. I'm sure that the game churned up the inflammation pretty well. I wouldn't mind playing Mac the next two games, with Tua ready to come in off the bench if needed...
That would be a good plan. I watched the entire second half and didn't really notice any problems with Tua until the end when they showed him on the sideline. After seeing the limp I was wondering how he kept going late in the second half. Even saw Mac warming up at one point. Let Tua sit unless he's absolutely needed, so he's much stronger for the Barn.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agreed that he needs to play unless, of course, the medical staff says he shouldn't. I imagine at the end of the game that thing stiffened up on him and once the adrenaline was gone it was painful.

The first half was basically 3 things: LSU was lit and did everything right, Tua/offense was tight and rusty and we compounded things with stupid mental errors.

If he's able, let him play to stay sharp...get a huge lead and then let him rest. I think that's the best plan moving forward IMO FWIW.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Saban said at the presser today that Tua did not have any setback from the game. His ankle was sore and he plans to give him a day off from practice. Sounds as if the plan is to play him against MSU though if the ankle feels better later in the week.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
He was limping pretty badly at the end of the game.
I agree. I was watching him at the end of the game limping. He did NOT limp like that after the injury in the 10RC game. He was walking normally leaving the field after that injury. Was he just sucking it up so fans would not think he had been injured?

If, if's and but's were candy and nuts and we had recovered that onside kick with about 1 minute and 20 seconds left with 2 timeouts. Wow! What could have happened with that accurate arm and those WR's? Hmmmmm. Hopefully, we'll get a 2nd chance to face LSU.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Saban said at the presser today that Tua did not have any setback from the game. His ankle was sore and he plans to give him a day off from practice. Sounds as if the plan is to play him against MSU though if the ankle feels better later in the week.
I really, really hope the plan is to get the ball out of his hands as soon as possible next game. Don't leave him in the pocket one fraction of a second longer than necessary, even if it's mainly handing the ball off.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I really, really hope the plan is to get the ball out of his hands as soon as possible next game. Don't leave him in the pocket one fraction of a second longer than necessary, even if it's mainly handing the ball off.
We can win our next 2 games without throwing the ball past 10 yards. I would hope our strategy would be to do just that

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He still looks gimpy to me. I would not even think of playing him until the Auburn game, and I’d only play him postseason if we are in the playoffs. Of course, that would ruin a Tua/Jalen showdown in the Sugar Bowl, which Oklahoma fans(and Jalen I assure you) want very badly....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He still looks gimpy to me. I would not even think of playing him until the Auburn game, and I’d only play him postseason if we are in the playoffs. Of course, that would ruin a Tua/Jalen showdown in the Sugar Bowl, which Oklahoma fans(and Jalen I assure you) want very badly....
You don't want him rusty for Auburn, and you need to win by large margins thru the end of the season. He needs to play unless he can't play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Did you not hear CNS last week. The DRs cleared him and Tua wants to play. So you'd sit him against his will?

The whole reason the offense looked so inept in the 1st half was he was rusty from not playing for 3 weeks IMO. Don't play him for the next 2 games and you think he'll magically be in "game sync" against Auburn's D?

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
There are great points on both sides of this discussion. I can see the rust factor but I do think it was due to him playing with an ankle that just was a couple weeks out of surgery. I would think to err on the side of caution because if MSU gets to him and rolls his ankle again that close to his surgery we won’t see him for the rest of the season. I think he was critical to the LSU game he won’t be critical again until the Auburn game. Practice time can help knock off some rust. But IMHO I would set him out until then.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You don't want him rusty for Auburn, and you need to win by large margins thru the end of the season. He needs to play unless he can't play.
While I thoink Alabama should be super cautious with him, yes I do think he has to play. I'd be happy with Alabama just running all over a team with a pass here or there thrown in, but knowing Tua he's going to find a couple wide open guys for TDs anyway.

He needs to be healthy and playing well for Auburn though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.