Possible Playoff Scenarios - with Bama

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I assume that if the committee thought Utah/OK were better than Bama they would have them ranked above us already
I may be wrong but I'm beginning to think that Alabama is in if they win barring a Ohio State over Wisconsin type beatdown from Utah or Oklahoma.

It was funny though to hear the ESPN guys try to hype up Minnesota, like really? Everybody and their momma knows their path (if they beat Wisconsin) goes through Ohio State and Ohio State will mop the floor with the Gophers.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I may be wrong but I'm beginning to think that Alabama is in if they win barring a Ohio State over Wisconsin type beatdown from Utah or Oklahoma.

It was funny though to hear the ESPN guys try to hype up Minnesota, like really? Everybody and their momma knows their path (if they beat Wisconsin) goes through Ohio State and Ohio State will mop the floor with the Gophers.
I can still see them jumping Bama with a 1 loss conference champion. Especially if the boys barely beat Auburn. Just have a feeling they are looking for any combination of excuses to rearrange things in that final ranking.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I can still see them jumping Bama with a 1 loss conference champion. Especially if the boys barely beat Auburn. Just have a feeling they are looking for any combination of excuses to rearrange things in that final ranking.
How many iron bowls in the last ten years have been decided by 7 or less points? Let’s be realistic, a W by 7-14 is a thrashing in this game.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
They have both played weaker schedules, with weaker wins and losses to bad teams.
The more I look at this, Bama needs to treat the Auburn game almost like a first round game in an eight team playoff. A win Saturday and you advance to the semis.

IF*** the goal is to identify “the best four teams” then how do you keep Bama out over a one loss Utah (loss to USC) or one loss Oklahoma (loss to KSU and “bullet dodging” with Baylor, ISU & TCU), even if they are conference champs? The Bama loss being to #1 or #2 ranked team (depending on which poll) by five points?

*** Unless the goal is to find the best four teams NOT named Alabama......

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The more I look at this, Bama needs to treat the Auburn game almost like a first round game in an eight team playoff. A win Saturday and you advance to the semis.

IF*** the goal is to identify “the best four teams” then how do you keep Bama out over a one loss Utah (loss to USC) or one loss Oklahoma (loss to KSU and “bullet dodging” with Baylor, ISU & TCU), even if they are conference champs? The Bama loss being to #1 or #2 ranked team (depending on which poll) by five points?

*** Unless the goal is to find the best four teams NOT named Alabama......
Bama has been in EVERY playoff because it was one of the 4 best. They’ve held true to their original goal and mission IMO so far. Until otherwise proven I’ll trust they’ll keep doing the same.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The good news is that we haven’t struggled against any team we were supposed to beat. Outside of tOSU, who can say that?

That bodes well for us. We have had one bad half.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I assume that if the committee thought Utah/OK were better than Bama they would have them ranked above us already
My understanding is that the committee does not project out but ranks teams based on what has taken place up to the time of the rankings. If a team just below Bama gathers a quality win while Bama does not, that team has a chance to move up the next week.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
So Oklahoma is probably our biggest concern. We probably need them to lose to Oklahoma State.

Utah is no longer a concern to me. If they beat Oregon it will be the same as us beating Auburn. As long as the scoring margins are similar we shouldn't have to worry about Utah as long as we beat Auburn.

Obviously, we also need LSU to beat Georgia. And as long as they don't choke they should.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Beat Auburn and we have a chance. Think I saw that Alabama has a 47% chance of making the CFP and a 65% chance if they can beat Auburn.

Outside of that, after seeing not one of our players was selected as a finalist for anything.....not one thing....just have this feeling if Utah or Oklahoma don't lose again that Bama won't make #4 even with LSU beating Georgia. I think they are looking for any reason to not move Bama up.

We are favored by 4 at Auburn....really the only question going in is how does Mac respond to the environment and DL pressure. If he handles it well and settles in....we win by 2 scores. If he starts expecting the pressure we are in trouble, he won't go through his progressions. How does he respond if he throws a pick?

Ultimately, yes how the OL handles their DL is a big part of the game, but LINE PLAY is always a big part of EVERY game....but how Mac does is how we go. Hate that all the pressure is on him like that, but that's what you come to Bama for, moments like this in a big game.....rise up and you become a legend.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Two things are possible (this is assuming we beat Auburn and the 3 unbeaten hold serve this week and championship week):

1. Either the committee thinks Bama is currently the best 1 loss team not named Georgia and that's why we've stayed at #5 since our loss to LSU.

2. OR, the committee is playing games with these rankings and they are wanting to please the masses in the last poll and suddenly jump another 1 loss team over us for the bang of it.

#2 "could" be true, but I don't think so. Win and we are in cause it's #1.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
So Oklahoma is probably our biggest concern.
I’m thinking this too. This is especially true after I saw where they dropped Baylor. Personally I’m not seeing them as a top 10 school at all but the Big 12 needs help this year. A lot of help. They say they don’t project... whatever! I’m thinking OU is the backup for Bama should Bama lose. I don’t care what they say they do not want Utah versus anybody in that playoff!!!!

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Two things are possible (this is assuming we beat Auburn and the 3 unbeaten hold serve this week and championship week):

1. Either the committee thinks Bama is currently the best 1 loss team not named Georgia and that's why we've stayed at #5 since our loss to LSU.

2. OR, the committee is playing games with these rankings and they are wanting to please the masses in the last poll and suddenly jump another 1 loss team over us for the bang of it.

#2 "could" be true, but I don't think so. Win and we are in cause it's #1.
I'm concerned that #2 might actually play out simply due to Bama fatigue. This could be the year that the committee reverts back to hanging its proverbial hat on conference champions and jumps Oklahoma or Utah in ahead of us because of that argument.

Honestly, I think the only way we get in is (a) beat Auburn, and (b) another loss by both Utah and Oklahoma. Assuming LSU, Ohio State and Clemson all win out, the committee would have absolutely no choice but to include us in that scenario.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I think some thought will be given to the absence of Tua i.e. is Bama one of the 4 best teams without Tua

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think some thought will be given to the absence of Tua i.e. is Bama one of the 4 best teams without Tua
If you beat Auburn, the answer will be a clear yes. None of the other teams trying to land that spot could beat Auburn in their house.

If you lose, the answer will also be a clear one.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
The fact that Baylor jumped to #9 is huge for OU. Assuming we win out ( a big assumption ) it would add a top 10 win to our list of top 25 wins. We would be a one loss conf. champion. Auburn would be the Tide's only top 25 win and they will still not be conf. champs. If Utah beats Oregon ( not a cinch ) that gives them only one top 25 win. For the Tide to get in, in my opinion, OU needs to lose to the Pokes and then beat Baylor in the CCG & Oregon needs to beat Utah. Obviously, the Tide must beat Auburn.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The fact that Baylor jumped to #9 is huge for OU. Assuming we win out ( a big assumption ) it would add a top 10 win to our list of top 25 wins. We would be a one loss conf. champion. Auburn would be the Tide's only top 25 win and they will still not be conf. champs. If Utah beats Oregon ( not a cinch ) that gives them only one top 25 win. For the Tide to get in, in my opinion, OU needs to lose to the Pokes and then beat Baylor in the CCG & Oregon needs to beat Utah. Obviously, the Tide must beat Auburn.
Agreed. The only caveat I'd make is if we blow the doors of Auburn it makes the argument more interesting. Right now Oklahoma has the clearest path to the playoff outside of the top 3 and Georgia.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
People look at numbers and assume that the gap between 4-5 is the same as between 5-6. Or 4-6 is equal to 6-8.....and that's just not the case......

Baylor played two ranked teams? And lost one? So, how can OU beating them again gain them anything more than they've already gotten out of the first win? If the committee respected the victory over Baylor, you'd have already gotten the boost....beating them again, won't do much for you

Can OU even beat them again?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.