Possible Playoff Scenarios - with Bama

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Best thing is none of the teams in contention for the #4 spot will have a better loss than us. Most teams won't have a better win as long as we beat AU.

Really, if Utah and Oregon both drop a game between now and the end of the year I think we're a shoe in. That's not really that far fetched. We've made it in as a non-SEC champion needing a lot more help than we do now with 4 weeks of the season to go..
I think this will be strong with the committee. However, we need someone in the Top 4 to lose a game... :cool2

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
We have the best loss of any of the ‘one loss’ teams. As long as it stays that way—and we win out—then I think we have a chance to get in.
I agree. We'll see what precedent the committee sets tomorrow night. I can't believe they'd follow Brando's stupid path and drop us big. I would be shocked (which means nothing, I guess) if they drop us farther than fifth. We don't give up that last touchdown, and Smith's late-game TD is the game-winner, even after all of our mistakes.

Do we deserve to get in? Well, does Oregon? Who have they beat? Who has Utah beat? I'll grant Georgia the Notre Dame win, but look at their loss! What about Oklahoma's loss? How good does that Texas win look now for OU?

I agree with you guys that say we need LSU (no question) and Ohio State to win out. I think Clemson's going to, regardless. That would leave one spot. I don't know that we trump a Pac-12 champion, and I'm pretty sure we don't trump an undefeated Baylor-Big 12 champ. But I don't believe Baylor will go undefeated. I'm counting on folks wanting to see more Alabama-LSU, with a healthy Tua, to give us the upper hand in a tiebreaker situation with Oregon or Utah.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
I think this will be strong with the committee. However, we need someone in the Top 4 to lose a game... :cool2
I think it's possible WE are number four. It's not the be-all, end-all, but tomorrow night will tell a tale. Doesn't mean someone can't jump us later, though.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Rex Ryan Quote --

Former NFL head coach Rex Ryan, who now works the desk at ESPN, obliterated the Big Ten this week when asked who he'd put in the final four following Alabama's loss to LSU and Penn State's setback at Minnesota.

“100 percent Alabama should be in it,” Ryan said during Monday’s appearance on Get Up!. “LSU, Clemson and Alabama are the three best teams. Don’t ever put Penn State ahead of Clemson, for the love of God. And the guys from Minnesota, row your boat down there to Clemson and get beat by 40. Stop it already.

"Put Ohio State in there and they’ll get beat by 37 like they did last time they played Clemson. The three best teams, let’s not ruin it.”

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would be shocked (which means nothing, I guess) if they drop us farther than fifth.
If they put Alabama 5th, that's already a major problem because it's a team that has to lose for Alabama to get in. Right now at least Alabama can cling to hope that they get in over a one loss Oklahoma or Oregon, but if they're already ahead of Alabama that's a big problem. About the only team that won't matter much with would be Georgia, but even then it's just about respect. We need the committee to show respect for Alabama because if they don't, Alabama is in trouble. There's going to be some other one loss teams no matter what, that's fairly certain so the committee needs to like Alabama.

One thing to listen for is if any mention of Tua's injury is made. Yes, a conference champion is part of their criteria, but so are injuries! I hate both those things, but in this case two wrongs could make a right. If they factor in Tua not being 100% that opens the door a little wider for Alabama.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they put Alabama 5th, that's already a major problem because it's a team that has to lose for Alabama to get in..
If Alabama is 5th, any team that they might put at #4 would be in line to play another team in the top 4, so not a problem. GA, PSU, MN - all have dates with destiny.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
No way I believe Minnesota will win out, not beating Wisconsin and no way in heck they beat Ohio State, in my opinion. Baylor and OU likely will play twice, unless Baylor just completely collapses between now and the Big 12 title game. Might help if we root for a split. A one-loss Baylor doesn't jump a one-loss Alabama, I don't think, because of the perception of the Big 12 being a weaker conference. A two-loss OU, even with a Big 12 title (as in, they lose to Baylor Saturday, then beat them in the title game) doesn't jump Alabama, either.

A one-loss Oregon COULD get in over us, but again, I'd argue an 11-1 Bama means we beat AU at Jordan-Haire, and they couldn't beat 'em in Arlington.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If Alabama is 5th, any team that they might put at #4 would be in line to play another team in the top 4, so not a problem. GA, PSU, MN - all have dates with destiny.
While that's true in terms of just looking at the standings in a more traditional sense, as you know the committee can move teams around whenever they want for what ever reason they want.

The lower Alabama is ranked, the more the committee is signaling that they don't think much of them. Even then, there's a lot of complicated stuff that can go on. For instance what if Minnesota is undefeated going into their conference championship game. What if Penn State beats Ohio State? Alabama needs all the cushion they can get, heh.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
While that's true in terms of just looking at the standings in a more traditional sense, as you know the committee can move teams around whenever they want for what ever reason they want.

The lower Alabama is ranked, the more the committee is signaling that they don't think much of them. Even then, there's a lot of complicated stuff that can go on. For instance what if Minnesota is undefeated going into their conference championship game. What if Penn State beats Ohio State? Alabama needs all the cushion they can get, heh.
We also need to see who is play who during Western Carolina week -- as if other teams are playing rivals, and we are playing a cupcake, that's where we can lose ground

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We also need to see who is play who during Western Carolina week -- as if other teams are playing rivals, and we are playing a cupcake, that's where we can lose ground
You will only go backward during championship weekend, if it happens at all. Everyone will notice another dominating win - even over a cupcake. It will show the voters that Alabama is still Alabama.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You will only go backward during championship weekend, if it happens at all. Everyone will notice another dominating win - even over a cupcake. It will show the voters that Alabama is still Alabama.
All in all, I feel pretty good considering......

I think the step out/step in TD that LSU got, coupled with the Tua fumble/bad ankle, and the fact that LSU looked like the second best team after half-time....all will play into the minds of the committee......

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...all-playoff-debate/1aedxno7wuqh5140haqe5chuhq

To that end: Are there four teams better than the Crimson Tide?

LSU, Ohio State (9-0) and Clemson (9-0) can say yes. Georgia (7-1) can make it four by winning the SEC championship against LSU and closing the Crimson Tide out. The rest of the teams have to beat the elephant in the room with talk of a healthy Tagovailoa, among other challenges.

Minnesota (9-0) and Penn State (8-1) have to go through Ohio State, and we don't see those teams beating the Buckeyes. We're not sure the Gophers can get through Iowa (6-3) and Wisconsin (7-2) without that first loss.

That leaves the Pac-12 tandem of Oregon (8-1) and Utah (8-1) and the Big 12 tandem of Baylor (9-0) and Oklahoma (7-1). Would you take a one-loss champion from either conference ahead of Alabama? That might become the final question.

Utah and a one-loss Baylor would be in trouble, considering they don't have the pedigree of Alabama. Oregon and Oklahoma would be fascinating tests: How do you size up the Ducks' loss to Auburn if Alabama blows the Tigers out at Jordan-Hare Stadium in the Iron Bowl? Oklahoma needed a comeback to make it look respectable, but they were thoroughly dominated for much of the game against Kansas State. Imagine if the last Playoff spot comes down to Tagovailoa vs. Jalen Hurts. Well, don't imagine, because that could very well happen if Oregon loses another game.

All Alabama has to do is be the best one-loss team when the season is over.

It doesn't matter if an Alabama-LSU rematch is worth it. If enough teams leave the door open wide enough, Alabama will burst in.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Short of something really whacky happening, like Minnesota or Baylor winning out, it is probably going to come down to us vs. either Oregon or Utah, assuming all win out apart from the loser of the PAC 12 championship. On paper we should look better than whichever of them wins the PAC 12, with a better loss, a tougher schedule, and in Oregon's case, a better outcome against a common opponent. If Auburn beats UGA and/or we beat Auburn convincingly, that helps too. But this isn't accounting for Bama fatigue. If the Committee decides that they want to take any credible excuse to keep us out, then we are out unless there is an insane string of upsets that leaves them no choice but to take us.

Overall I'd give us about a 25 per cent chance. I do think if we get in we'll be playing with house money and our hair on fire.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.