Possible Playoff Scenarios - with Bama

smokies1

1st Team
Jul 10, 2005
Rooting for auburn this weekend, Bama wins out and that would be a top 10 win on the road to end the season.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Rooting for auburn this weekend, Bama wins out and that would be a top 10 win on the road to end the season.
I'll be pulling for Auburn, but this is really a win-win situation.

If Auburn wins, that helps our SoS.
If Auburn loses...well, Auburn loses.

See? Win-win. :p

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
No way I believe Minnesota will win out, not beating Wisconsin and no way in heck they beat Ohio State, in my opinion. Baylor and OU likely will play twice, unless Baylor just completely collapses between now and the Big 12 title game. Might help if we root for a split. A one-loss Baylor doesn't jump a one-loss Alabama, I don't think, because of the perception of the Big 12 being a weaker conference. A two-loss OU, even with a Big 12 title (as in, they lose to Baylor Saturday, then beat them in the title game) doesn't jump Alabama, either.

A one-loss Oregon COULD get in over us, but again, I'd argue an 11-1 Bama means we beat AU at Jordan-Haire, and they couldn't beat 'em in Arlington.
I agree with everything you say, but I'm not worried about Oklahoma, even if they win out. I think our loss is so much "better" than their loss that we should have the edge. Plus with probably four SEC teams in the Committee's final top 10 and probably only one Big 12 team, it would be easier to justify having two SEC teams in the playoff than putting in the winner of the Big 12 over the second-best SEC team when that SEC team has a better resume.

Whether we would beat out a one-loss PAC 12 champ is a closer call, but if the Committee isn't looking for reasons to keep us out we should have the edge there too.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
IMO, we are better to hope LSU wins out, that be our only loss and hope our "opening" comes from losses elsewhere.
I completely agree. If LSU loses, we are done (unless they completely flop and drop both the Ole Miss and TAM games, in which case we are all the way back in it. But that is a fantasy -- no way they choke like that).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So all 6 pages of developing playoff scenarios just assumes we beat auburn at JHS. Hmm
That's the difference in most of us and you. But I don't think we are "assuming" it but we expect we can and will be able to do that because, simply, we are more optimistic and you are not. No harm or foul. People are different.

Also, to even discuss a possible CFP scenario, you have to "assume" (predict we win against the Barn) or else it's a senseless discussion because we're out with 2 losses.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Of all the factors discussed, two are under-discussed - Tua's injury and the "eye test." If everyone takes care of business - LSU beats UGA and we win out, I think we're in. UGA's loss was, well, "UGly" - to a team we beat by 24. We beat AU and they beat Oregon. Utah doesn't pass the "eye test." OU's loss was to a far inferior team. Tonight will be interesting...

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I completely agree. If LSU loses, we are done (unless they completely flop and drop both the Ole Miss and TAM games, in which case we are all the way back in it. But that is a fantasy -- no way they choke like that).
Only way LSU loses before the SECCG weekend is if Burrow goes down and misses the remainder of the season. Ultimately, I hope they demolish everyone including Georgia, get the #1 seed. And we sneak in and get the #4 seed...I don't want to watch Oregon or Utah in the playoff.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Of all the factors discussed, two are under-discussed - Tua's injury and the "eye test." If everyone takes care of business - LSU beats UGA and we win out, I think we're in. UGA's loss was, well, "UGly" - to a team we beat by 24. We beat AU and they beat Oregon. Utah doesn't pass the "eye test." OU's loss was to a far inferior team. Tonight will be interesting...
precisely...in a strange world of college football these days, our best argument is a quality loss against a team we almost beat with a QB on one leg that didn't get the offense going into the middle of the 3rd quarter that overcame a 20 point halftime deficit.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
If LSU beats UGA, their ugly loss to USCe doesn't matter. They drop out of contention with 2 losses.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That's the difference in most of us and you. But I don't think we are "assuming" it but we expect we can and will be able to do that because, simply, we are more optimistic and you are not. No harm or foul. People are different.

Also, to even discuss a possible CFP scenario, you have to "assume" (predict we win against the Barn) or else it's a senseless discussion because we're out with 2 losses.
Would expect nothing less from Gray. Some have decided to give up hope and be pessimistic.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Of all the factors discussed, two are under-discussed - Tua's injury and the "eye test."
The committee is pretty cryptic sometime, we will indeed know a lot after tonight. If Alabama isn't fourth and I don't hear something about Tua's injury I'll be pretty nervous though. This is a chance for them to give Alabama a well deserved benefit of a doubt, but I remember what they did after the Auburn loss (admittedly an ugly performance). They dropped Alabama from first, to fifth, putting them behind one 2 loss team (it was after all a loss to their new #2 team) but also behind two other one loss teams (Oklahoma and Clemson).

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
The committee is pretty cryptic sometime, we will indeed know a lot after tonight. If Alabama isn't fourth and I don't hear something about Tua's injury I'll be pretty nervous though. This is a chance for them to give Alabama a well deserved benefit of a doubt, but I remember what they did after the Auburn loss (admittedly an ugly performance). They dropped Alabama from first, to fifth, putting them behind one 2 loss team (it was after all a loss to their new #2 team) but also behind two other one loss teams (Oklahoma and Clemson).
Tim Brando is already whining about the eye test and Bama privilege.........what a crybaby

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

If we beat Auburn, barring anything beyond our control, we are in at #4.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Only way LSU loses before the SECCG weekend is if Burrow goes down and misses the remainder of the season. Ultimately, I hope they demolish everyone including Georgia, get the #1 seed. And we sneak in and get the #4 seed...I don't want to watch Oregon or Utah in the playoff.
You say that, and I recognize that this is a different LSU team than other years, but LSU just has that ability to lose inexplicably. They are usually good for one of those a year. I definitely thought it would have come by now, but with Ole Miss and A&M left, I don't trust them to win out. They won't lose two, but they could very well drop one between now and the SECCG. If there is one thing Orgeron is bad at as a coach, it's keeping his players focused, especially against inferior competition.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.