Moses and McMillon Eligibility

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Moses will likely turn pro. McMillon is a senior but I'm sure he won't be a first round pick so I would assume he takes a redshirt and returns.
Yes it is likely, but it depends on how his re-hab is going and how he projects after the injury. Sure would like him back but that is probably wishful thinking.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Back in August, didn't Saban say McMillon had a chance to return at the end of this season? I didn't think it was listed as a torn ACL, only a "knee injury". But maybe I missed it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Back in August, didn't Saban say McMillon had a chance to return at the end of this season? I didn't think it was listed as a torn ACL, only a "knee injury". But maybe I missed it.
At some point I'm going to have to try to get some info on some of these injuries, because typically out for the season means regular season. If Alabama is in the playoff, they could be playing a game nearly a month and a half after the end of the regular season. That coupled with the redshirt rule could make things interested if someone has had a really good rehab.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
It would be nice to have both back, as they can both make a difference on defense. I would expect Dylan to turn pro, but what if he is told he is an unknown due to the injury and probably a mid-round pick. Would that prompt him to come back. I guess we will see down the road.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
At some point I'm going to have to try to get some info on some of these injuries, because typically out for the season means regular season. If Alabama is in the playoff, they could be playing a game nearly a month and a half after the end of the regular season. That coupled with the redshirt rule could make things interested if someone has had a really good rehab.

Interesting point! If they could play in the CFP (assuming we get in), then they could prove their worth to the Pro Scouts while still preserving their redshirt just in case... :cool2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It would be nice to have both back, as they can both make a difference on defense. I would expect Dylan to turn pro, but what if he is told he is an unknown due to the injury and probably a mid-round pick. Would that prompt him to come back. I guess we will see down the road.
If he doesn't get a first round grade, he will come back (IMO)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hope you’re right, B1G. Because I don’t think a GM will spend something as valuable as a 1st round pick on Moses. There are just too many unknowns.

He’s immensely talented, but had trouble picking up the intricacies of the D. We’re told that the light came on in the spring and fall camp before he was hurt, but there’s nothing on tape to demonstrate that.

Also, there’s the injury itself. It still takes a while to come back both mentally and physically from a reconstructed knee. And bigger players tend to take longer than smaller ones. I seriously doubt he’s truly 100% back until about this time next year. Will he still have the lateral quickness? Will he still have the speed? Nobody, not even Moses himself, knows for sure.

He’ll probably be fine. Probably. He’s probably acquired a professional’s understanding of Defense. Probably. But if you’re spending a first round pick and tens of millions of dollars, is “probably” good enough when there are less uncertain options out there? Personally, I don’t think so.

Now, none of that means that Moses won’t still go pro. He could follow bad advice. He could think, “This could happen again. I’ll still be a 2nd-3rd round pick, and still make millions. I’m taking it now, even though it won’t be 1st round money.”

We need him badly, and I hope he stays. But it’ll be interesting to watch.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hope you’re right, B1G. Because I don’t think a GM will spend something as valuable as a 1st round pick on Moses. There are just too many unknowns.

He’s immensely talented, but had trouble picking up the intricacies of the D. We’re told that the light came on in the spring and fall camp before he was hurt, but there’s nothing on tape to demonstrate that.

Also, there’s the injury itself. It still takes a while to come back both mentally and physically from a reconstructed knee. And bigger players tend to take longer than smaller ones. I seriously doubt he’s truly 100% back until about this time next year. Will he still have the lateral quickness? Will he still have the speed? Nobody, not even Moses himself, knows for sure.

He’ll probably be fine. Probably. He’s probably acquired a professional’s understanding of Defense. Probably. But if you’re spending a first round pick and tens of millions of dollars, is “probably” good enough when there are less uncertain options out there? Personally, I don’t think so.

Now, none of that means that Moses won’t still go pro. He could follow bad advice. He could think, “This could happen again. I’ll still be a 2nd-3rd round pick, and still make millions. I’m taking it now, even though it won’t be 1st round money.”

We need him badly, and I hope he stays. But it’ll be interesting to watch.
Mack Wilson had much better tape, and did not have the injury hanging over him. That, IMO, is Dylon's ceiling if he comes out. Only $300k of Mack's salary is guaranteed. If he had waited and gone in the 1st round he would have had more guaranteed $$$ than his entire 4 year contract will pay him. The last guy picked in the first round gets $10MM, with just over half of that guaranteed. Plus they have a 5th year option built in. Going in the 1st round is HUGE in a sport with an average career span that doesn't get most players out of their first contract.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is Saban's standard advice. However, we had several last year go pro despite that advice. So many are in such harsh family situations that they feel like they just have to take the lesser sums for the later rounds...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Mack Wilson had much better tape, and did not have the injury hanging over him. That, IMO, is Dylon's ceiling if he comes out. Only $300k of Mack's salary is guaranteed. If he had waited and gone in the 1st round he would have had more guaranteed $$$ than his entire 4 year contract will pay him. The last guy picked in the first round gets $10MM, with just over half of that guaranteed. Plus they have a 5th year option built in. Going in the 1st round is HUGE in a sport with an average career span that doesn't get most players out of their first contract.
Mack declared against advice. He, like Dylan, based on his last season, was a bit raw. I also had heard that the lights had really come on for him in the spring and he was looking forward to an outstanding season...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Moses will end up coming back because the injury is going to hurt his evaluation. May be wishful thinking but I don't see him actually getting a first round grade.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
At this point I assume guys that have a chance to go pro will. Moses could use a year to prove his worth but he’ll make plenty of money as a 3rd or 4th rounder if teams don’t pick him early.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think unless Dylan gets a 2nd round or higher rating, he comes back.

No one expected Derrick Brown (projected late 1st) at The Barn to come back and there was some question about Marlon Davidson. Both came back and made huge difference for them.

Dylan’s love for Bama is unquestionable. Don’t know if it was mentioned, but he actually suited up Saturday to show support for his teammates.

Maybe he feels like he has some unfinished business here now?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I would think that Dylan would need to come back and prove that he was as good as they projected him to be this past summer, but that does not take into account family needs. Mack left before he should have, but he has started for the Browns all year and is playing for his second contract right now. Moses may see that as his best option.

rtr

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
McMillon is a 5th year Senior, so he has no more eligibility. Moses can use this as his redshirt year and be a redshirt Junior next season if he returns.
A sixth year of eligibility is possible but rare. Here is a quote.

"Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

Finally, remember that getting the waiver is not the only consideration. The most important thing for an athlete is to get healthy and back out on the field again. Just because you might not qualify for a waiver is not an excuse to go back out there when you should not and risk losing the next season or your career.For that season, it is important that if an athlete redshirts or sits out after a transfer and it is at all possible that year might be used toward a sixth year, the athlete should document what happens during that year thoroughly. Make sure paperwork from injuries is in order, and keep up with rehab and doctors’ appointments. Any other hardship, like family financial difficulties, should be documented."

I don't know all of McMillon's circumstances.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
McMillon is a 5th year Senior, so he has no more eligibility. Moses can use this as his redshirt year and be a redshirt Junior next season if he returns.
A sixth year of eligibility is possible but rare. Here is a quote.

"Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

Finally, remember that getting the waiver is not the only consideration. The most important thing for an athlete is to get healthy and back out on the field again. Just because you might not qualify for a waiver is not an excuse to go back out there when you should not and risk losing the next season or your career.For that season, it is important that if an athlete redshirts or sits out after a transfer and it is at all possible that year might be used toward a sixth year, the athlete should document what happens during that year thoroughly. Make sure paperwork from injuries is in order, and keep up with rehab and doctors’ appointments. Any other hardship, like family financial difficulties, should be documented."

I don't know all of McMillon's circumstances.
Think he's the kind of player this rule was made for. Hope he can get it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.