Bama Game Thread: Bama vs Florida Atlantic game thread ...

GoodTalkRuss

Suspended
Mar 9, 2019
Just a few games into the season and a very small sample size, but... Ingram is the leading scorer at UCF and Tevin Mack is the leading scorer at Clemson. That said, when I imagine them still being on the Bama team, im hard pressed to believe the team is really any better.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
And the thing is, I would rather just live and die with Petty just being a streaky spot up wing shooter who just is looking for open space on the floor. Somewhere along the line Petty decided he needed to become multi-faceted. It probably had something to do with fans complaining about his inconsistency as a shooter and he decided he wanted to refine his game. The truth of the matter is that all Petty ever really was or will be is a guy who can heat up from the perimeter. He's a streaky shooter who can get red hot and in this offense we don't need him to be a dribble drive guy and with his erratic handles it's never made sense anyway. This team has enough guys that can handle the ball. We sorely lack the guy who just runs the perimeter and softens up defenses by always requiring a man cover.
I don't have any first hand information, but I can't imagine any scenario where Petty, or any player for that matter, decides to improve some facet of the game because of fans complaining. Maybe, like most people, he looked at what he wasn't as good at and decided to work on those things.

We don't have enough guys that can handle the ball.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
And the thing is, I would rather just live and die with Petty just being a streaky spot up wing shooter who just is looking for open space on the floor. Somewhere along the line Petty decided he needed to become multi-faceted. It probably had something to do with fans complaining about his inconsistency as a shooter and he decided he wanted to refine his game. The truth of the matter is that all Petty ever really was or will be is a guy who can heat up from the perimeter. He's a streaky shooter who can get red hot and in this offense we don't need him to be a dribble drive guy and with his erratic handles it's never made sense anyway. This team has enough guys that can handle the ball. We sorely lack the guy who just runs the perimeter and softens up defenses by always requiring a man cover.
If Petty has any hopes of playing in the NBA then he had to round out his game and to his credit he has improved in some areas. I'm not giving up on him entirely, I just think right now he does not need to be starting. If I remember correctly Keith Askins was not a starter and he played several years in the NBA. I'm not saying Petty is Keith Askins, he is not, but it's not the worst thing in the world to not be a starter.

GoodTalkRuss

Suspended
Mar 9, 2019
Askins was an absolute lockdown defender. That's the thing about the nba. It's not about being good at everything, it's about being elite at something. I'm not denying that many NBA players are very high level guys at multiple skill sets. But there are plenty of one dimensional NBA players who just so happen to be elite at that one dimension.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Askins was an absolute lockdown defender. That's the thing about the nba. It's not about being good at everything, it's about being elite at something. I'm not denying that many NBA players are very high level guys at multiple skill sets. But there are plenty of one dimensional NBA players who just so happen to be elite at that one dimension.
I'm not sure what we're debating at this point. Askins was a fantastic defender but he wasn't a liability on offense by any stretch of the imagination. He could hit the 3 as well as drive to the goal and score and/or get fouled. Askins was not just a defender. I still vividly recall Askins as a true freshman scoring 16 points in a row against UT. Our radio guy at the time was going crazy. One of the first games that I attended at UA as a freshman was against UK and I remember the roof nearly getting blown off of Coleman when Askins took the ball doing the lane and finished with a very strong slam dunk. The closest player on our current team is Herb Jones and up to this point he is nowhere near as good as Askins was offensively. Defensively they are very comparable but offensively it was Askins. I'm not bashing Petty but he is not elite at anything. He has improved his overall game since his freshman year and I commend him for that. At the moment, it is MHO that the team, after Herb comes back, would be better with Petty coming off the bench.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Wow, I did not know Kentucky lost. I feel less bad about our loss to Penn.
As of yesterday, The University of North Alabama had an RPI about 200 places higher than ours. Yes, I realize that early season RPI is meaningless because there isn't a big enough dataset yet.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
As of yesterday, The University of North Alabama had an RPI about 200 places higher than ours. Yes, I realize that early season RPI is meaningless because there isn't a big enough dataset yet.
As you say, way too early to be looking at RPI. Maryland football led the nation in scoring at over 70 pts/game after two games and you see where they are now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.