CFP Ranking = #5...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Even if we beat MSU by 40 points, is that enough to change the committee's deliberations.
It is just one more brick in the wall. By itself - meaningless. Fortunately Alabama's story is not that simple.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
A distinction should be made regarding the "Bama fatigue" term. There is very definitely "Bama fatigue" from most fan bases as well as many individual (the media is not a monolith) media members, there has been absolutely none demonstrated by the CFPC. In fact, IMO, they have done an outstanding job to this point and if anything shown a bias in Bama's and the SEC's favor, though their favorable evaluation of Alabama has been justified. They are the ones who rightly put 2 SEC teams in the 4 team tourney in a year in which Bama stumbled home losing its last game of the year, being offensively inept and ugly, and not even winning its division. They were rewarded with an all SEC final and the most exciting and dramatic finish yet.

It would be a pity to leave out a team that lost one game to the number 1 team in the country by 5 points but Alabama's schedule has been unusually weak. A strong finish seems to matter as shown by OSU in '14 who played a very weak schedule with bad loss at home, then crushed Wisc in the Big 10 title game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Georgia's 2 SEC West games are against Auburn and Texas A&M, the next 2 games they have on their schedule and they can absolutely lose both of those games. Certainly would help Bama's resume if they did and Bama won out!! If that were to happen I suppose LSU would get a rematch with Florida.
I just posted something about A&M in another thread, but yeah a Georgia tailspin would have interesting implications. It would bolster Alabama's SoS, give them two solid quality wins, and obviously clear Georgia out of the way as well.

The only potential issue at all with that is that if LSU were to pick up a loss somehow (let's say A&M gets hot) you'd kind of prefer a multiple loss Georgia playing them instead of Florida. However, if you could give me Georgia losses to Auburn and A&M, I'd take it right now and that could be just about all the help Alabama needed.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
From a psychological perspective, an LSU loss is potentially a good thing for us. If the committee sees LSU as winning only because Tua was injured and not because LSU is this crazy elite team, reinforces the belief that a healthy Tua beats them. Giving more value to the Tide in the playoffs

I guess in my mind, “losses” trumps sos. So bring forth the losses.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
LOL, five of the top 12 teams in the country and he's a homer for suggesting that the SEC is tougher than the other conferences. Got it. Makes total sense.

I never said the SEC was weaker than other conferences, I said it is under performing as a whole.. The bottom of the SEC is weaker then it has been in recent years and those are the teams that fill our schedule.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I never said the SEC was weaker than other conferences, I said it is under performing as a whole.. The bottom of the SEC is weaker then it has been in recent years and those are the teams that fill our schedule.
So we should have 6 of the top 12? ;)

Strong teams at the top means weak teams at the bottom

B

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
seems that by putting us at #5 the committee is acknowledging that we're really good and that it should only take a few things to put us back in the top 4.

i don't understand how GA is ahead of us considering their abysmal loss to SC, but whatever.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
seems that by putting us at #5 the committee is acknowledging that we're really good and that it should only take a few things to put us back in the top 4.

i don't understand how GA is ahead of us considering their abysmal loss to SC, but whatever.
Because they were trying to keep Brando, Kanell, Bayless, Klatt and the rest of the morons on TV from freaking out and possibly having hear attacks

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We can all agree that Alabama's loss is to a much better team, but GA has wins at this point over two much better teams. IMO, they were weighing both, and the wins outweighed the losses in their minds. I don't think that this means that the losses don't count.

Also, this gives them a path to include any two SEC teams, depending on how the rest of the games play out, because I think that the committee recognizes that two SEC teams deserve to get in if the season were to end now.

I really think that the committee's rankings were pretty shrewd. They give the committee the flexibility to do almost anything depending on how the season plays out without looking like idiots.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We can all agree that Alabama's loss is to a much better team, but GA has wins at this point over two much better teams. IMO, they were weighing both, and the wins outweighed the losses in their minds. I don't think that this means that the losses don't count.

Also, this gives them a path to include any two SEC teams, depending on how the rest of the games play out, because I think that the committee recognizes that two SEC teams deserve to get in if the season were to end now.

I really think that the committee's rankings were pretty shrewd. They give the committee the flexibility to do almost anything depending on how the season plays out without looking like idiots.
Well, UGA's quality wins, minus a horrific loss, outweighed our spotless record with a quality loss to the number one team. It still looks pretty unsound to me and even some rival fans have said so...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, UGA's quality wins, minus a horrific loss, outweighed our spotless record with a quality loss to the number one team. It still looks pretty unsound to me and even some rival fans have said so...
I had Alabama #3, ahead of Clemson, so you'll get no argument from me. But remember that they had you at #3 before, not #1, so they only dropped you two spots.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Re: CFP = #5...

Auburn beat Oregon. Auburn does not have to jump them in the poll for the committee to respect them more. The 2nd loss would keep them from doing that. But their two losses are to LSU and Florida - highly ranked teams. They have wins over Oregon and aTm. Add the win over GA and it is game over. Auburn would solidly establish itself as the better team.

Frankly, if Auburn beats GA, I would jump them up in the polls all the way to #4.

I don't think we will EVER see a two-loss team in the CFP Top Four... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I know this won't happen...but if we beat Auburn and Oregon beats Utah then both us and Oregon should be in and Clemson should be bumped. They will have 0 quality wins. I guess the lack of losses matters more than who you beat?

An undefeated Clemson is not going to get bumped... :cool2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
An undefeated Clemson is not going to get bumped... :cool2:
Well, no, but we can talk about it. The media whines about SEC scheduling all the time.

Look at Clemson. Garbage schedule. It is a story that needs to be discussed.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Yeah, I don't think the committee would do it.
2017 if Auburn had beaten Georgia in the SECCG, theyd have made it with 2 losses, if I'm not mistaken and they did have 2 losses going in.

This year, no, no scenario for a 2 loss team other than by some miracle Georgia losing one before the SECCG and then beating LSU...and even that's iffy.

Alabama has an excellent opportunity here. Would help though Oregon and/or Utah to lose before their game...and for Auburn to beat Georgia.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Well, no, but we can talk about it. The media whines about SEC scheduling all the time.

Look at Clemson. Garbage schedule. It is a story that needs to be discussed.
Imagine the outcry if Clemson didnt make it as an undefeated conference champion simply because their schedule is so abysmal. That and Alabama making it would cause an immediate 8 team playoff negotiation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.