CFP Ranking = #5...

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Actually this is very true. The SEC has always reset the landscape of college football. The SECCG changed everything. All the conferences started adding them. The Vols were in danger of getting shafted (actually would have loved that) in 98 when 3 teams had a chance to go undefeated and we got the BCS. Then the SEC was too good and it was unfair they kept getting into and winning titles so we got the playoffs. I’d say the SEC might be the one behind the call for a 6-8 playoff mode more than the others when and if they get slighted by a great team getting left out. This year would be a great example if an 11-1 Bama were left out for a Utah or Oregon just to be “more fair”. The inverse could also be true if 3 teams ever made it. Had UGA not lost that could have easily happened this year.

As a selfish fan, I want the 6 team playoff bracket to start as of next week! Really, I am in favor of it when they renew the contract in a few years (or sooner).

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
We've been in every playoff...Forget the selfish fan part...4 is fine. Play like Bama and selfish takes care of itself...RTR.
As a selfish fan, I want the 6 team playoff bracket to start as of next week! Really, I am in favor of it when they renew the contract in a few years (or sooner).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Two things are sure to happen in the future of college football:

The CFP WILL expand. It's just inevitable.

Bama football will not always be at this level. We'll cycle down at some point before we rise again.

At some point, we'll be #5 or #8 and an expanded playoff will be to our advantage too.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Two things are sure to happen in the future of college football:

The CFP WILL expand. It's just inevitable.

Bama football will not always be at this level. We'll cycle down at some point before we rise again.

At some point, we'll be #5 or #8 and an expanded playoff will be to our advantage too.
You mean like this year?

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Except this year there are only 4 spots. :wink:

But yeah, this could be the year we are on the outside looking in (But I choose to remain optimistic if we'll just win out)
Well, here is to Bama winning out starting with sufficient "eye test" results vs MSU so the CFP committee can't help but pay attention to the Alabama Factor. Roll Tide Roll!!!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don't trust committees. I don't care what comes out of their mouth's, they all have agendas. There is a huge backlash against Bama right now. I think the committee puts in any 1 loss conference champ over us, even if that champ's schedule is a little worse then ours. I just feel like this year is the year that the committee has enough "excuses" to leave us out. Our schedule just ended up being really bad, and an under performing SEC doesn't help. I think the committee will cave to outside pressure and find a way to leave us out. This year's agenda is to have the first ever Bama-less playoff.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Three of the top 5 teams in the country are in the SEC, but we're under performing. What people don't take into consideration is the fact that the lesser teams (In the W) all get 2 automatic losses with Bama and the Who's this year. Throw in Auburn...25% of the top 12 in the country resides IN OUR DIVISION!!! Of course it looks like they under perform, who else wouldn't??? They play three top 12 teams...nobody else does that in the conference, let alone their division...It's not just Bama fatigue, there's SEC fatigue as well.
I don't trust committees. I don't care what comes out of their mouth's, they all have agendas. There is a huge backlash against Bama right now. I think the committee puts in any 1 loss conference champ over us, even if that champ's schedule is a little worse then ours. I just feel like this year is the year that the committee has enough "excuses" to leave us out. Our schedule just ended up being really bad, and an under performing SEC doesn't help. I think the committee will cave to outside pressure and find a way to leave us out. This year's agenda is to have the first ever Bama-less playoff.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Come on man, stop being a homer. It's not the SEC beating up on the SEC that is the problem, it losing to teams like App St. that is the problem. So yes, the SEC is under performing this year, not just beating up on itself.
The SEC is the best conference in the country this year. Your top 5 are better than the B1G's top 5. The middle tier of the conference is worse than usual, but that happens. This from someone who doesn't care if every team in the SEC loses every single game (other than Alabama).

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The fact is, without Florida or Georgia on the schedule, we just don't get the benefit of having played the best of the rest. We get the east, and a win over Auburn would go a long way, especially if it's convincing. I assume that Saban is planning to rest Tua a LOT before that game, and then come out and get after their a55. A nice 20-30 point win couldn't come at a better time. Leave it up to Auburn to be the speed bump in the road that can effect everything. I don't expect them to beat UGA, but I think they will play really tough. They are certainly focused on the Tide, as they are every year. Literally nothing else to play for, most years. We know that either LSU or UGA is going to lose a game between now and then, as well. A shocking upset of Clemson or Ohio State, however unlikely, wouldn't hurt either.

Going from a boatload of unbeatens to a truckload of one loss teams is just soooo College Football. That is what I expect.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
The conference doesn't revolve around Coach Boom and S. Cackalacka...Yes, that's a bad look, but APP State WAS RANKED this year, pick another poison...
Come on man, stop being a homer. It's not the SEC beating up on the SEC that is the problem, it losing to teams like App St. that is the problem. So yes, the SEC is under performing this year, not just beating up on itself.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
According to Sagarin, the SEC West is #1 with an 83.
The SEC East is dragging things down a bit, with a 76 which puts them at 5th.

The thing is, the Big 10 West is below them, both ACC divisions are below them, and the Pac-12 South is ranked below them. So, the SEC West is the toughest division in all of football to play in, yet again, but the SEC East is only behind the Big 10 East, the Big 12 and the Pac-12 North.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't trust committees. I don't care what comes out of their mouth's, they all have agendas.
So does every single fan with a rooting interest.

There is a huge backlash against Bama right now.
Not by the committee.

I think the committee puts in any 1 loss conference champ over us, even if that champ's schedule is a little worse then ours.
So basically you have NO EVIDENCE of this but you just - for reasons known only to you - "feel" that way??

I just feel like this year is the year that the committee has enough "excuses" to leave us out.
They had enough excuses to leave out Ohio State in 2016 and Alabama in 2017, but they didn't.

Our schedule just ended up being really bad,
Our schedule is bad, but it's not much worse than anyone else in the Top Ten save for LSU and (much lesser) Penn St.

and an under performing SEC doesn't help.
The SEC is 2-1 against the Big 12, both wins blowouts and the loss by a 4-5 team that lost by 7 points to the K-State team that beat OU>

The SEC is 0-1 against the Big 10, but Purdue vs Vandy isn't going to tell us anything.

The SEC is 1-1 against the Pac 12, with the 5th best team in the SEC beating probably the best team in the Pac 12 by a TD.
The loss (Ole Miss vs Cal) had a controversial call that helped the Rebels lose.

The SEC is 2-2 against the ACC, with Alabama (over Duke) and Florida (over Miami) getting wins while Clemson and UNC got wins for the ACC.
UNC barely beat SCAR......and barely lost to Clemson.......

The top 5 teams in the SEC - Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida - could hang with almost any team in the country. I'd give Ohio St a huge nod over the last 3 and a pick 'em with the first two. I think Clemson would lose to 2 or maybe 3 of those depending on the day.

The reality isn't that the SEC is down; it's that CFB as a whole has collapsed into a sport that has a few of the same ultra-dominant teams: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma (not quite as good this year) plus LSU, a few teams a cut below that (UGA, maybe Penn St/Michigan) - and a bunch of garbage in terms of the PLAYOFF.

I think the committee will cave to outside pressure and find a way to leave us out.
Outside pressure from whom?

This year's agenda is to have the first ever Bama-less playoff.
Thing is, I've heard this nonsense before.

First, a long list of people here were whining hysterical that the reason for the committee was to "make sure two SEC teams never make the playoff."

Then there's the always mythical garbage posts that talk about "Bama fatigue," and I'd call that a psychiatric disorder of the mind that only Tide fans suffer from when we're specifically discussing THE COMMITTEE. I swear, every time I hear some poster here use that phrase, I want to reach through the computer and smack that individual with a tube sock full of screws.

If you're talking about FANS of OTHER programs, they're born with so-called "Bama fatigue"; the PTB in charge have no such delusions.

If "Bama fatigue" really existed, we would not have made the playoff in 2017.

And now we have the THIRD mutation of this very same virus of self-persecution: "they're just trying to make sure we don't get there."

The first two mutations were phony, and so is this one.

If we don't make the playoff it won't be because "the committee wants to put Alabama in a place."

It will be solely because WE left it up to a committee to pick the participants when WE lost to LSU.

If we lose to Auburn - and that's more possible than most posters here want to admit - we're done anyway.

And yet some droning Tide fan here will blame it on the officials and "Bama fatigue," a term which makes me cringe almost as much
as the words "pancreatic cancer" does. (I'm not trying to mean folks, but I'm getting TIRED of that particular phrase from folks who
should know better).

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
According to Sagarin, the SEC West is #1 with an 83.
The SEC East is dragging things down a bit, with a 76 which puts them at 5th.

The thing is, the Big 10 West is below them, both ACC divisions are below them, and the Pac-12 South is ranked below them. So, the SEC West is the toughest division in all of football to play in, yet again, but the SEC East is only behind the Big 10 East, the Big 12 and the Pac-12 North.
Georgia's 2 SEC West games are against Auburn and Texas A&M, the next 2 games they have on their schedule and they can absolutely lose both of those games. Certainly would help Bama's resume if they did and Bama won out!! If that were to happen I suppose LSU would get a rematch with Florida.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
See, actually, what I meant was Bama fatigues...like The U back in the day. A new look...:Joker_PDT_06:

***EDIT: I think that the committee does their job pretty well...any "tiredness" of Bama that I think exists is from the average Joe fans, not committee members.

Just wanted to clear that up...hopefully I still get to eat at the adult table at Thanksgiving.

on TideFans.com
And yet some droning Tide fan here will blame it on the officials and "Bama fatigue," a term which makes me cringe almost as much
as the words "pancreatic cancer" does. (I'm not trying to mean folks, but I'm getting TIRED of that particular phrase from folks who
should know better).

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL, five of the top 12 teams in the country and he's a homer for suggesting that the SEC is tougher than the other conferences. Got it. Makes total sense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.