CFP Ranking = #5...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: CFP = #5...

The primary purpose of the committee is to put the best four teams in the playoffs. Since last night's rankings came out many of the Who's are throwing their corndogs against the wall because Bama was put in striking distance to get back in.
They led 33-13 at halftime.

They should have scored another 33 and put us away.

Ever watch those Jason movies? If you stab us with your steely knives but just can't kill the beast.......well, LSU can check out any time they like......

But as I asked several guys I'm in a College football FB group with, "After watching Bama play and proving their offense is as potent as y'alls. Can you honestly say Oregon or any would be PAC 12 champion is better than Bama? Be honest."
They can't answer that question because then they'd have to admit that....."Well, ya know, if Tua was 100% healthy and the punter doesn't screw up......we probably lose...."

And they're absolutely not going to do that.

They wouldn't directly answer the question. All they seemed to think was since Bama lost to LSU in a regular season game that should automatically eliminate them from the discussion.
This would be a somewhat valid argument if we had SEVEN unbeaten teams.......but we don't.

So.....should Oregon be eliminated for losing to Auburn?
Should OU be eliminated for losing to K State?

BEST OF ALL - ask these jackweeds, "So then if LSU loses to Ole Miss this weekend, are you going to be consistent and say they don't belong?"

Regardless of what takes place the rest of the season. I kept trying to remind them that's not how the playoff system works nor should it. If it worked that way then the purpose of the selection committee shouldn't be selecting the best four teams. But at the end of it, I get why they don't want it to work that way. Because of what happened in 2011.
They are absolutely terrified of deja vu.

I had this gal who I work with that's pretty cool and she did her MLS at LSU. We get along fine and she never mentions football......until this past Monday morning!!!

Asked me - politely - what I thought.

Here's what I said (with my other Tide fan friend from Red Bay watching and laughing):

"Enjoy it. Because y'all are gonna absolutely die when Alabama rolls you in the playoffs."

I've been having fun with that one - and the looks on their faces shows they know that giving Saban a second shot is like giving the Mel Gibson character in "Lethal Weapon" a second shot.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I see where you live, LOL, and you are an elder statesman here. Been reading your posts for years, and I want LSU to lose, too.

The problem is I think LSU is our ticket in. If LSU loses twice (as in, a regular season game and then to Georgia), I think the committee takes Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson and the Pac-12 champ. I think we're out in that scenario, because our best item on our resume -- the five-point loss to LSU where we fought back -- is then eliminated. Then, all we have is a win over Auburn. I think we need LSU to win out, Georgia to lose once more, and a convincing trio of wins against State, Carolina and Auburn.
If quality losses mattered, we'd be 4th and UGA 5th.....

If LSU and UGA face each other in the SECCG, both with a loss -- we are in over the 2-loss loser of that game.....

If LSU wins out -- there's only one spot open

If LSU loses twice -- there are two spots open

Math works in my favor ;)

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
If quality losses mattered, we'd be 4th and UGA 5th.....

If LSU and UGA face each other in the SECCG, both with a loss -- we are in over the 2-loss loser of that game.....

If LSU wins out -- there's only one spot open

If LSU loses twice -- there are two spots open

Math works in my favor ;)
Math works in your favor in that scenario yes. Mathematically, we still have a shot at the West. Mathematically, Florida can still win the East. Mathematically, Wake Forest can still win the ACC Atlantic. Mathematically, Oregon State can still win the Pac 12 North.

LSU only loses with a meltdown. Georgia will make the SECCG with 1 to 3 losses and LSU will beat them.

LSU, Ohio State, Clemson make the playoff....there's one spot.

Spot comes down to Bama, Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, Baylor. Minnesota ain't making it....Penn State would have to beat Ohio State, not happening.

Games for Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma and Baylor are all I'm worried about outside of Bama blowing the doors off the next three opponents. If Auburn beats Georgia, its an appetizer before the main course.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It’s a couple weeks early to get too torqued up about these yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

The committee basically has put the onus on Georgia.

If Georgia takes care of business and beats Auburn and somehow beats LSU they will undoubtedly be in the CFP. Basically, the committee put Georgia ahead of Alabama because they control their own destiny and we don't. But if they slip at all, we are there to take their spot at #4.

IMO, it couldn't have fallen into place much better for us 3 days after losing the LSU.
I agree with your premise. I was listening to an Atlanta sports radio program yesterday and Chuck Oliver said that even if UGA beats AU, what's Georgia's identity this year? I think that's a good question, one for which I do not have an answer.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
See, I still think that close win and the their bye week really got them straight and focused. I can see them turning it on like they did last year...but I don't see them blowing their playoff opponents out like Notre Dame and Alabama last time. LSU is focused, but were they too focused on Bama Bama Bama.

Wake Forest is ranked, but I see Clemson racing past them easily....then South Carolina...then likely Virginia....then however their seeding set ups. They wouldn't beat Ohio State 31-0 again. Best QB in the playoff will be Burrow.
Wake no longer ranked, fell out after losing to VT. No one on Clemson's schedule is currently ranked, and it doesn't get any better. No one on Clemson's schedules thru 2023 is currently ranked other than ND, who they play 3 times in next 4 years. Very frustrating. Clemson probably is one of top 4 teams, but their record does nothing to prove that. Other than UGA (who already lost to USC), which top 10 team would not go undefeated with Clemson's schedule. Bama certainly would. Oregon would. Maybe not Utah or Minnesota, but those two probably win out if they get by TAM. Clemson has been preparing for the cfp since the summer. No other team in top 10 has that luxury.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Wake no longer ranked, fell out after losing to VT. No one on Clemson's schedule is currently ranked, and it doesn't get any better. No one on Clemson's schedules thru 2023 is currently ranked other than ND, who they play 3 times in next 4 years. Very frustrating. Clemson probably is one of top 4 teams, but their record does nothing to prove that. Other than UGA (who already lost to USC), which top 10 team would not go undefeated with Clemson's schedule. Bama certainly would. Oregon would. Maybe not Utah or Minnesota, but those two probably win out if they get by TAM. Clemson has been preparing for the cfp since the summer. No other team in top 10 has that luxury.
Yeah, shows how much I keep up with the rankings....I happen to see Wake somewhere at the bottom and honestly didn't even realize they played or lost to VTech. So Clemson has Wake, SCarolina and their championship game against another mediocre team.

Clemson won't be tested...but...they also will be prepared and mostly rested. They have probably already started looking at LSU and Ohio State just to get an early start.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Yeah, shows how much I keep up with the rankings....I happen to see Wake somewhere at the bottom and honestly didn't even realize they played or lost to VTech. So Clemson has Wake, SCarolina and their championship game against another mediocre team.

Clemson won't be tested...but...they also will be prepared and mostly rested. They have probably already started looking at LSU and Ohio State just to get an early start.

Wake F is 7-1 and has some of the best wide receivers in the conference, but those 2 guys are both out with injuries for the Clemson game. I read their best one is actually out for the rest of the year as of last week. So, Clemson has injury luck go their way again and will demolish Wake.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Wake is 3-2 in the ACC...LOL...and that's BEFORE the Clemson game...They gave up 62 to Louisville!!!
Wake F is 7-1 and has some of the best wide receivers in the conference, but those 2 guys are both out with injuries for the Clemson game. I read their best one is actually out for the rest of the year as of last week. So, Clemson has injury luck go their way again and will demolish Wake.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

If Auburn beats GA, that is probably enough to put your destiny back in your hands. Auburn already beat Oregon. Alabama's win over Auburn would trump anything that they would have on their resume. Both has a loss that is much worse, and neither would have a better win.
We are all pulling for Auburn this weekend.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I had to laugh when I read this.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
To be fair - we native Alabamians (born in my case) DO have a streak of oversensitivity and SOMETIMES it's justified.
We still - sadly - bear the burdens of the 1960s.

I think what happens is that sentiment becomes dominant in folks's thinking, and they're accustomed to being victims so they adopt victimhood as their magnifying glass on any and all analysis unfriendly to what they think.

Don't forget 2015, either - we were WELL THOUGHT of even after the Ole Miss debacle once the rankings came out.

Bama fatigue DOES exist among CFB FANS - that part is true.

But there's no such animal from the pundits, most who realize that we are the 90s Nebraska or 00s Oklahoma - we get the benefit of the doubt even when we lose.
Danny Kanell, Tim Brando and Skip Bayless says hello!! ;)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't even count them as pundits. They are stark, raving, lunatics with a microphone.
Trolls. Brando said today that Oregon and Utah would beat Alabama on a neutral field. He doesn't even believe that himself. If he actually does, it means he blacked out at halftime of the Alabama/LSU game last weekend and didn't come to until this afternoon.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.