CFP Ranking = #5...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Re: CFP = #5...

Neither has a win against a ranked team. Oregon and Utah have played no one. They are the only teams from the PAC that the committee has in their rankings. At the end of the day, one will have a quality win - against the other. Alabama's win over Auburn will be a much better win if Auburn can beat GA.

If GA beats Auburn, I have no idea.
In the eyes of the committee -- will it? Auburn is currently ranked below Utah/Oregon. Will they definitely jump ahead of them if they beat UGA?

No question we're rooting for the Barn though.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL

I hope Im wrong, but I have this feeling that scheduling Duke for the marquee OOC game may cost us a title—regardless of who was available or not.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

In the eyes of the committee -- will it? Auburn is currently ranked below Utah/Oregon. Will they definitely jump ahead of them if they beat UGA?

No question we're rooting for the Barn though.
Auburn beat Oregon. Auburn does not have to jump them in the poll for the committee to respect them more. The 2nd loss would keep them from doing that. But their two losses are to LSU and Florida - highly ranked teams. They have wins over Oregon and aTm. Add the win over GA and it is game over. Auburn would solidly establish itself as the better team.

Frankly, if Auburn beats GA, I would jump them up in the polls all the way to #4.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

Auburn beat Oregon. Auburn does not have to jump them in the poll for the committee to respect them more. The 2nd loss would keep them from doing that. But their two losses are to LSU and Florida - highly ranked teams. They have wins over Oregon and aTm. Add the win over GA and it is game over. Auburn would solidly establish itself as the better team.

Frankly, if Auburn beats GA, I would jump them up in the polls all the way to #4.
They're currently 12. I hope you're right but I'm not confident... I maintain we really want the Pac-12 teams to slip up.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama

I hate to be a pessimist but I don't think we get in this year unless we win out and several of the teams in the mix lose games. There is so much bias against us. Then Bama will go to the Sugar Bowl and a bunch of players won't play because of the draft. I really hope I'm wrong.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

They on the rankings show on ESPN talking about a scenario where a 2 loss Georgia team, should Georgia lose to either Auburn or Texas A&M and beat LSU for the SEC championship, would be in over a one loss BAMA. Crazy!!

So if Georgia loses to one of Auburn or Texas A&M, after already losing to South Carolina, Georgia beating LSU even with 2 losses to teams Bama would have beaten should Bama beat Auburn....Georgia with 2 losses should make the playoff, along with LSU over Bama??

Geux Tiggah's and I am now completely for an 8 team playoff!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I hate to be a pessimist but I don't think we get in this year unless we win out and several of the teams in the mix lose games. There is so much bias against us. Then Bama will go to the Sugar Bowl and a bunch of players won't play because of the draft. I really hope I'm wrong.

Several teams are gonna lose games.

There are two ABSOLUTE KEYS to this whole thing:

1) We HAVE to win all 3 games - that's top of the list
2) We need LSU to either: a) win out; or b) lose TWICE (I don't see this happening, but I fear they could lose this week with a letdown)

Minnesota is going to lose and probably more than once.
Baylor is going to lose and probably more than once.

It would probably be better for us to be in the mix with Oregon (direct Auburn comparison) than Utah.

BamaDaddy

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2002
Pawleys Island, SC
CPF Rankings 11/12/19

I know that there are several weeks and several games before the all important final poll, but

--Bama #5 with UGA #4
--Bama's loss to current undefeated #1 by 5 points
--UGA's loss to a 4-6 team that Bama blew out

Just saying . . .

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

2) We need LSU to either: a) win out; or b) lose TWICE (I don't see this happening, but I fear they could lose this week with a letdown)

It would probably be better for us to be in the mix with Oregon (direct Auburn comparison) than Utah.
Agree with this. UGA beating LSU is the worst case scenario we aren't talking about -- probably guarantees LSU, UGA, Ohio State and Clemson.

Minnesota and Baylor are zero threat and based on the rankings I don't think Oklahoma is either, frankly.

ColaTider

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2015
Columbia, SC
I know this won't happen...but if we beat Auburn and Oregon beats Utah then both us and Oregon should be in and Clemson should be bumped. They will have 0 quality wins. I guess the lack of losses matters more than who you beat?

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Its key to have so called strength of schedule because most of these top 25 teams aren’t really very good at all and easy to beat. Weird how bad our conference schedule turned out. Don’t remember this happening. Then again don’t remember it being 10 degrees halfway through autumn.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I think margin of victory may be important also against Miss. St. and Western Carolina. We really need to score a lot of points. I think if we have a chance to score 70 on WC we should go for it. Ohio State didn't pass up the chance to score 70 on Maryland. When you're desperately fighting for the playoff you can't afford to show mercy.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I know this won't happen...but if we beat Auburn and Oregon beats Utah then both us and Oregon should be in and Clemson should be bumped. They will have 0 quality wins. I guess the lack of losses matters more than who you beat?
Clemson are the defending Champs. If they win out, their in.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I don't know if I believe this -- "the how did the fair vs. Auburn" thing will only matter so much especially when we're literally talking about the first game of the season vs. the last game of the season.
You're absolutely correct.

Now that Bo Nix has played some, Auburn would actually beat Oregon by MORE points.

I have no doubt we'd beat either of the Pac-12 teams but I think the committee will have a hard time putting an 11-1 Alabama team over a 12-1 conference champ and that conference title game win while we're idle gives them all the reason to do it.

Listen carefully because I'm only going to say this to every single Eeyore that shows up here and has reading comprehension problems (note: no reflection on you my good man):

Conference championships ONLY MATTER if the committee decides the conf champ and Alabama are EQUAL via the eye test.

The rules state this so explicitly it's not even funny. Pay attention to the bold.

Ranking football teams is an art, not a science. Football is popular in some measure because the outcome of a game between reasonably matched teams is so often decided by emotional commitment, momentum, injuries and the “unexpected bounce of the ball.” In any ranking system, perfection or consensus is not possible and the physical impact of the game on student athletes prevents elaborate playoff systems of multiple games. For purposes of any four team playoff, the process will inevitably need to select the four best teams from among several with legitimate claims to participate.

Four. Best. Teams.

The criteria to be provided to the selection committee must be aligned with the ideals of the commissioners, Presidents, athletic directors and coaches to honor regular season success while at the same time providing enough flexibility and discretion to select a non‐champion or independent under circumstances where that particular non‐champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

That's the KEY word - "comparable."

Oregon/Utah only gets the vote IF the committee looks at them and us and says, "this is a close call."

Then and only then do we get.....

Championships won
Strength of schedule
Head‐to‐head competition (if it occurred)
Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

========

We can rule out "head to head" since Alabama hasn't played Oregon/Utah.

That leaves the other three.

Comparative outcomes?
Auburn - that's it

We're in about as good shape as could be expected.

Current Sagarin SOS

Ohio St (34)
LSU (13)
Alabama (54)
Clemson (71)
Oregon (30)
Penn St (23)
Georgia (52)

Georgia 52 vs Alabama 54

I'm sorry but that's NOT enough to rank them ahead of us; the loss to SCAR overturns one that close (seriously, an SOS that close, you're basically saying if Duke won 3 more games).

Last edited:

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
If the top 3 remain where they are....meaning LSU beats UGA...Ohio State wins out...then whomever wins the Pac 12 is #4....if the winner only has 1 loss. If one of them loses then beats the other in their title game, Bama goes.

Only way to get in I think is if Oregon or Utah lose before the Pac 12 CG and then we have the one that still only had 1 loss get beat by the 2 loss team.

Final four would be LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama.

If the committee decides they dont want a rematch 1st round then switch Ohio State and LSU.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The bigger concern is that Oregon and Utah are right behind at 6 & 7. That means that the committee has them right on Alabama's tail. Neither is likely to lose before they play in their championship game, and Alabama will not be playing that weekend. I was hoping for a larger gap.
It's not bad news, but it's not good news either. By putting Georgia in front they made it clear Alabama isn't their top one loss team, Oregon and Utah was pretty consistent with their last rankings, but it shows that Alabama really needs both to lose.

Minnesota made a big jump to, clearly they have to lose. The only real good thing here is that the Big 12 isn't really getting much respect. Oklahoma moving down is a good sign.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama

Selma,

I know what needs to happen. I just don't think it will. Bama's schedule is so weak that I think a one loss conference champ will get in over them even though their schedules are not impressive. Then again, this is why I am a proponent of an 8 team playoff but that is another subject.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
Now I know that this far fetched but what if Clemson were to lose to South Carolina. South Carolina has them at home and it is a rivalry game. Stranger things have happened. Then if Georgia loses to either Auburn or LSU then they would have 2 losses and because of Clemson’s easy schedule, that 1 loss would kill them. Clemson and Georgia would be out so it wouldn’t matter about Oregon or Utah.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Now I know that this far fetched but what if Clemson were to lose to South Carolina.
If by some miracle Clemson loses, it will take Alabama's chances from unlikely to likely.

The main issue right now is there's about 7 teams all gunning for one spot. Some will lose, some will play each other. If you double the available slots, then that changes everything.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Now I know that this far fetched but what if Clemson were to lose to South Carolina. South Carolina has them at home and it is a rivalry game. Stranger things have happened. Then if Georgia loses to either Auburn or LSU then they would have 2 losses and because of Clemson’s easy schedule, that 1 loss would kill them. Clemson and Georgia would be out so it wouldn’t matter about Oregon or Utah.
If we curb stomp Auburn I can see us getting the nod over a 1 loss Pac 12 champ...anything less than a massacre and i think a 1 loss Pac 12 team is #4.

Clemson I really think got it together during their bye week...South Carolina is, a hot mess.

Georgia will lose, but I just dont see an Auburn team with zero offense beating them....LSU is their loss.

Think to be a certainty one of the west coast teams needs to lose before their championship game and then the 2 loss team beat the 1 loss team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.