Addressing The Strength of Schedule Argument

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Since this seems to be the rub with a number of people outside this protective lair, let's take a look at it, shall we? Let's just look at the teams and who they've beaten and how we can assess it.

1) LSU

LSU has the toughest schedule of any of the current contenders.

They beat #11 Florida by 14 points.
They beat #12 Auburn by 3 points, the same Auburn that gave Oregon their only loss.
They beat #5 Alabama by 5 points, and they never trailed in that game.

They are regularly blowing out the nobodies and have not come close to being upset yet this year.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is 42-32.
Of course, three teams - Alabama, Auburn, and Florida - account for 23 of those wins. The rest of their schedule is filler plus Texas, but they
have played an acceptable schedule.

2) Ohio State

The Buckeyes are 9-0 and have thoroughly routed ranked opponents: Cincinnati (17) and Wisky (15).

They are regularly blowing out the nobodies and have not come close to losing to anyone this year.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 46-37. Three teams - Wisky, Cincinnati, and Indiana - account for 22 of those wins.

It's hard, however, to give them props for the win over 7-2 Indiana given that the Hoosiers lost to 4-5 Michigan State.

3) Clemson

The Tigers are 10-0 and haven't played anyone worth a damn.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 39-45.

Had a close call against a Mack Brown coached team that was missing Colt McCoy.

Clemson has faced ONE FBS team with a winning record, Texas A/M.

(What I don't understand is where is Tim Brando's anger as an impartial journalist at Clemson????)

4) Jawja

The Dawgs are 8-1, and their win over Notre Dame is shielding them from the fact their resume is not very impressive.

They've beaten ranked Florida and #16 Notre Dame, who also lost to Michigan (and by a lot more points).

Their schedule is considered acceptable due to the two big wins.

They also have the most embarrassing loss of any contender, an overtime contest against SCAR.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 40-35, and 15 of those wins are thanks to two teams, Florida and Notre Dame.

The rest of their schedule is filler prior to this coming weekend's game against the Barn.

5) Alabama

The Tide are 8-1 and have beaten no currently ranked opponents.

The Tide have the best loss of any of the contenders, a five-point loss to LSU.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 40-45. Three teams - USM, ATM, and LSU - provided 21 of those wins.

6) Oregon

The Ducks are 8-1 and have beaten no currently ranked opponents, losing to the only ranked foe they played, Auburn.
The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 42-34.

They've scraped by two mid-level (at best) Pac 12 teams, Wazzu by 2 and Washington by 4 plus a ten-point win over 5-4 Cal.

7) Utah

The Utes are 8-1 and have played nobody worth a damn.
The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 38-36.

8) Minnesota

The Golden Gophers are 9-0.

They have played and beaten one ranked team, Penn State.
They are five plays from their 9-0 record being 4-5.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 36-39, with 14 of those wins coming from two teams, Penn St and Illinois.

9) Penn State

Shower U is 8-1.

They have beaten #15 Michigan and lost to #8 Minnesota in top 25 contests thus far.

Penn St has had three one-score wins, two of them against unranked foes.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 44-30.

Penn State's overall schedule is balanced, neither overly challenging nor overly easy.

10) Oklahoma

They have played one currently ranked foe, Kansas St, and lost.

They also have two narrow escapes against Texas and Iowa St, both unranked.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 34-38, and they've played two teams with six wins (losing one) and a lot of filler.

==================================

When you look at it like this, we don't look so bad.

And our schedule is not EGREGIOUSLY bad by comparison save with LSU.

In all honesty, LSU and Penn St have the best schedules (thus far) while Ohio St and Oregon have decent ones and Jawja has an acceptable one.

Utah, Minnesota, and Clemson all have schedules as bad or worse than we do (and that's not taking into account how "record" is not the only thing in an SoS).

Why aren't the same people bashing our schedule bashing Clemson's or Minnesota's.......if what you're really concerned about is sports journalism?

More later.

RTR

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, Selma, I want us to win out, have a couple of things happen, and I hope the committee will use the very sound reasoning you displayed in your post.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If we get lucky to have Southern Miss win out, and La Tech lose 2 of their last 3 then we would more than likely have another top 25 team under our belt

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As of today, the ENTIRE ARGUMENT in favor of "Minnesota should be ranked ahead of Alabama" is....

they beat Penn State.

The question in my mind then is this:
do you give them more credit for beating Penn State?
Or do you punish them for barely beating S D State and Fresno St?

I DO think you can argue "Penn State over Alabama" based on results so far.

But the reality is that the committee ranked Penn St where they did mostly because they lost to Minnesota while Alabama lost to LSU.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
When Iowa beats Minnesota this weekend that’ll be one down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it will happen, too.

My Eugene, Oregon bud who (get this) has never been to Autzen but has been to BDS TWICE (he's a passive fan of us, loved us growing up because it was rare to see SEC
games out there back in the 70s).

The moment they won, he said, "And now the hardest thing is to get them to be ready to play next week. And they're gonna lose."

And he's right, and I even sorta like Minnesota.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
There’s a LOT of football left to play.

I'd imagine the best practice the committee could do would be....lump all contenders together...then start arguing who wins against all the others....go through head to head arguments for every contender.

Now they'd likely just go ahead an have undefeated conference champions....right now that would be LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson if it ended today.

So the argument would come down to the 1 loss contenders.

Who wins if:
Alabama plays Oregon....Utah...Oklahoma...Baylor.....regardless of conference championships....because we want the 4 best teams.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I'd imagine the best practice the committee could do would be....lump all contenders together...then start arguing who wins against all the others....go through head to head arguments for every contender.

Now they'd likely just go ahead an have undefeated conference champions....right now that would be LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson if it ended today.

So the argument would come down to the 1 loss contenders.

Who wins if:
Alabama plays Oregon....Utah...Oklahoma...Baylor.....regardless of conference championships....because we want the 4 best teams.
Hope they look for the best team. Style points are going to be big and what got Ohio St into the playoffs in 2014. All these one loss teams except Bama have close games. Alabama will have to win comfortably over Auburn. We are going to be fighting against the people who have Bama fatigue. First and last drive of the 1st half of the LSU game kept Bama from being undefeated; strange sequence of events...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's take a look at the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers because, well, something.

At this point in the 1995 season.....

Nebraska had played ten games.

Record of their FBS opponents:
43-45-1

Nebraska moved up to one after #1 FSU lost to 6-3 Virginia.

In maybe the most delicious irony, FSU quarterback was Danny Kanell......

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
When Iowa beats Minnesota this weekend that’ll be one down.

I don't know if Minnesota loses this weekend. Iowa is 97th in scoring offense and 4th in scoring defense. Minnesota is 15th in scoring offense and 26th in scoring defense. I think Minnesota keeps winning until Wisconsin which is the last game of the regular season or the B10 CG. They will lose though.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
In my opinion, all of the teams listed can at least make a decent argument except Clemson.

People talk about Bama privilege and getting by without playing anyone; but Clemson -- good lord, look at that schedule -- it's by far the worst of all the contenders.

I believe that if you have a pitiful schedule, all you can do is go out and dominate your opponent. And when you do come upon a big game against tough competition, be ready to slug it out. Our guys weren't ready to slug it out. It showed with big mental mistakes in the first half. We won't find out about Clemson until they get to the playoff; but last year, they were ready.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In my opinion, all of the teams listed can at least make a decent argument except Clemson.

People talk about Bama privilege and getting by without playing anyone; but Clemson -- good lord, look at that schedule -- it's by far the worst of all the contenders.

I believe that if you have a pitiful schedule, all you can do is go out and dominate your opponent. And when you do come upon a big game against tough competition, be ready to slug it out. Our guys weren't ready to slug it out. It showed with big mental mistakes in the first half. We won't find out about Clemson until they get to the playoff; but last year, they were ready.
Clemson's schedule this year makes UCF's schedule a few years ago look tough, and they were not even considered for the CFP.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Clemson's schedule this year makes UCF's schedule a few years ago look tough, and they were not even considered for the CFP.
If NCarolina converts that 2 point conversion....Clemson is out of the playoffs. Their schedule is probably the weakest I can remember a power 5 team having. But....as defending champs, unless they lose, they will make it.

Problem is what trenda said....too many easy games and then when a big time opponent is across from you, you just aren't physically ready. Took Bama a half to get right, well, mostly right. Now, does Clemson turn it on when they have to? Who knows.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
If we are penalized for having a "weak" schedule this year, shouldn't Clemson, Pac 10/12/16 & all non-Power 5 teams be penalized every year?

Asking for a friend.

valuebet

Apr 7, 2011
BAMA opponents status in rankings are lowered by being beaten by BAMA, thus making BAMA's SoS look worse.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
"The Tigers are 10-0 and haven't played anyone worth a damn.

The overall record of their FBS opponents is: 39-45.

Had a close call against a Mack Brown coached team that was missing Colt McCoy.

Clemson has faced ONE FBS team with a winning record, Texas A/M."

Wow , just WOW!! not too mentioned, they have played 2 FCS teams Charlotte and Wofford on that pathetic schedule as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.