PSA about tree-cutting...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On the subject of ladders....I just picked up one of these "platform" ladders last week from Walmart.

It wasn't on my shopping list but for some reason when I saw the display I felt the need to grab one.

I've always used conventional ladders but now that I'm getting up there I'm trying to be a little more proactive in matters of safety and well being.

I also bought my first full face protective shield for doing grinding and cutting with my angle grinder, die grinder, or dremel:

I have one of those step-stools. I also have a hard hat with integrated earphones/protectors, with goggles. I understand my friend has been told he will not be placing weight on that leg for many months. My coincidence, we'd been to a birthday party over at their newly-purchased/remodeled mansion on the bluff last week. It's three stories. The top is hers. Then there's the main floor. However, the lowest floor is a man cave, with an impressive wine cellar and furnished with many mementos from where he's served all over the world. You access it by a steep spiral staircase. It'll be a long time before he sets foot in that level. I hope he does eventually...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have one of those step-stools. I also have a hard hat with integrated earphones/protectors, with goggles. I understand my friend has been told he will not be placing weight on that leg for many months. My coincidence, we'd been to a birthday party over at their newly-purchased/remodeled mansion on the bluff last week. It's three stories. The top is hers. Then there's the main floor. However, the lowest floor is a man cave, with an impressive wine cellar and furnished with many mementos from where he's served all over the world. You access it by a steep spiral staircase. It'll be a long time before he sets foot in that level. I hope he does eventually...
Sounds like your friend has a pretty good incentive in front of him - to be able to access his man cave!

Also sounds like he's in worse shape than Tua.

My best to both with their recoveries!

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
On the subject of ladders....I just picked up one of these "platform" ladders last week from Walmart.

It wasn't on my shopping list but for some reason when I saw the display I felt the need to grab one.

I've always used conventional ladders but now that I'm getting up there I'm trying to be a little more proactive in matters of safety and well being.

I also bought my first full face protective shield for doing grinding and cutting with my angle grinder, die grinder, or dremel:

As someone who is highly allergic to heights, I love these type ladders (mine has a little tray at the top for screws and such with a few holes for 2 screwdrivers and a pair of pliers). Also had to have a piece of concrete removed from my eye at 17 due to using a grinder with no eye protection, so I am super careful about safety glasses. I got very lucky with no long term damage.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As someone who is highly allergic to heights, I love these type ladders (mine has a little tray at the top for screws and such with a few holes for 2 screwdrivers and a pair of pliers). Also had to have a piece of concrete removed from my eye at 17 due to using a grinder with no eye protection, so I am super careful about safety glasses. I got very lucky with no long term damage.
I had to had a steel splinter plucked out of my eye, working underneath an old truck on the exhaust. As for where my friend lives, does "Panorama Way" sound familiar? :D

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I put safety glasses on all my patients. I don’t know why more dentists don’t. They keep the aerosol spray out of the patient’s eyes in addition to keeping foreign objects out.

I have tinted safety glasses for mowing and untinted for other chores.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Takes some learning from experts. Tree trunks and limbs weigh much more than most people realize. A tree may look like it will naturally fall in one direction while twists and larger limbs may cause it to go another. I learned my lesson years ago when cutting away a limb while up in a ladder. The limb twisted funny and had a lot of force. It barely hit the front of my calf leaving a slight gouge; a few inches over and it would have likely snapped my leg.

I cut down a large tree next to my in-laws' house with a good estimation of where it was going. The house is location on a steep slope coming up from the river. The tree was supposed to go straight down towards the river. A small contingent of boats lined up to watch the show.

The tree made a slight angle to the left when it fell which seemed okay but it landed directly on top of an iron and wooden bench sitting on top of a flat rock. The bench exploded into tiny pieces. That drew a big applause from the boats. The high-volume cussing that went on from my mother-in-law drew and even bigger applause. I think a lot of boats took off out of fear. Come on, it was a cheap bench you can buy at Walmart...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I had to had a steel splinter plucked out of my eye, working underneath an old truck on the exhaust. As for where my friend lives, does "Panorama Way" sound familiar? :D
Guntersville's lookout mountain. I bet he will at least have a beautiful view while he recovers (when he gets home).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Takes some learning from experts. Tree trunks and limbs weigh much more than most people realize. A tree may look like it will naturally fall in one direction while twists and larger limbs may cause it to go another. I learned my lesson years ago when cutting away a limb while up in a ladder. The limb twisted funny and had a lot of force. It barely hit the front of my calf leaving a slight gouge; a few inches over and it would have likely snapped my leg.

I cut down a large tree next to my in-laws' house with a good estimation of where it was going. The house is location on a steep slope coming up from the river. The tree was supposed to go straight down towards the river. A small contingent of boats lined up to watch the show.

The tree made a slight angle to the left when it fell which seemed okay but it landed directly on top of an iron and wooden bench sitting on top of a flat rock. The bench exploded into tiny pieces. That drew a big applause from the boats. The high-volume cussing that went on from my mother-in-law drew and even bigger applause. I think a lot of boats took off out of fear. Come on, it was a cheap bench you can buy at Walmart...
After decades, I have a pretty good eye. OTOH, with any doubt, I turn it over to the pros...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.