Bama Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. MSU...

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
The national media will of course second guess Coach Saban on everything. It’s what they do best. While many of us would have pulled Tua from the game earlier, who is to say we would have done things differently if we were HC?

There is a reason and season for everything. I just pray that Tua and our other injured players will recover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I have to respectively disagree. I guarantee Tua was on the sidelines pleading to play till halftime. It is football and players get hurt. Coach Saban has done so much for the University and he deserves some benefit of the doubt. There was no way to know that Tua was going to get hurt. This injury could have happened on the first play of the game. Without Tua, we are not the same team, but we have to make the most of the situation. The odds are against us, but we still have a chance.
Pleading to play is what every player does. I played high school sports and always lobbied the coaches to get back into the game when it was out of hand. It's the nature of the player to want to play, but the coaches rightly told me no my evening was over. That looked like what Saban was doing and then let the player talk him into going back in. That was the mistake. A healthy player is one thing, but an already injured player is a whole different ball of wax. Saban should have gone ahead and went with his initial decision.

If the injury takes place in a close or reasonably close game that is one thing, but in an obvious blowout where Miss State had no offense at all the already injured player shouldn't be in the game. This one is on the coaches. I'm just hoping Tua will be able to fully recover in the long term, and make millions in the NFL. I appreciate all he has done for Bama, and his toughness and competitive spirit is without question.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
There isn’t a “right” answer here with Tua playing that last series or not. I think it was a dumb move and generally agreed with Palmer. However, I also think what Galloway is saying is a reasonable view, as well. Can’t play scared but also if up 35-7 put him in a bubble!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For those concerned about how much Saban will be blamed or second-guessed for his decision - he can handle it. We don't need to worry about Nick Saban. That said, we should move past it because he doesn't need to keep hearing it from the Alabama family, too.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And with this being an opinion based thing and not "fact based" all I can say is that I respect your opinion but I disagree. Fanbase is going to be divided on this issue but regardless they've gotta find a way to win two more football games and we're all going to be rooting for that outcome.
The problem with your analysis is that this injury was unrelated to any other. He was tackled and his leg buckled in an awkward way under his body and the weight of his tacklers. This was a freak injury that could have happened on the first play of the season. So, IOW, standard operating procedure, which would have had Tua in the game at that point, was fine.

I wish he wasn't in the game. I also wish he would have just thrown the damn ball away because there was no need to fight for anything at that point. But there's nothing good that can do at this point. It happened. As I said, I just hope he's ok going forward in his career.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Glad to hear Tua is going to St. Vincent. Didn't want him dying from ultra-mrsa at Golden Triangle or DCH. Gotta laugh I reckon ��
You actually think a joke about dying from MRSA is funny?

Please - chill out.

We're all frustrated here, but you're naive if you think people don't die every single day at every large hospital from sepsis and the like.

And things like that need to put this GAME in perspective, too.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Freak injuries happen...... I hate it for Tua and everyone else that was hurt, but as others have said it could have happened on the first play......... if anything is to be blamed, it’s bad luck...... and Bama has had its share

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can you imagine the bumpy ride back to Birmingham in the back on an ambulance on those roads? Forget the pain - it could seriously aggravate the injury.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wasnt one of the problems Prothro had was infection due to dirt and such being still in the wound? I know with the bone exposed this was nearly impossible to avoid. In spite of this, I do cringe a bit when our players are sent there first.
1) In the technical sense, you can get any infection at almost any time and particularly in a hospital (nosocomial infections).

2) I don't know the specifics of Prothro but I'd think the bone was exposed, meaning your assessment is correct.

3) "Long bone fractures" can cause a fat embolism (e.g. a blood clot) that can kill as well. That happened to Rodney Stowers of MSU in 1991 (ironically, treated by the orthopedist that treated my best friend at the time for a similar injury).

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The national media will of course second guess Coach Saban on everything. It’s what they do best. While many of us would have pulled Tua from the game earlier, who is to say we would have done things differently if we were HC?

There is a reason and season for everything. I just pray that Tua and our other injured players will recover.

We’re all hoping for his recovery. But this was an arbitrary and freakish injury, which is a regular byproduct of a brutal sport.

As for Coach’s decision: The injury could have happened on the first play, but it did not. It occurred when we led by 4 touchdowns, and Nick Saban's instincts and experience initially told him to get Tua out of the game.

Tua wanted to play? There are adults on the sideline for a reason. And in an unpredictable game, you control what you can control.

Roll Tide.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
1) In the technical sense, you can get any infection at almost any time and particularly in a hospital (nosocomial infections).

2) I don't know the specifics of Prothro but I'd think the bone was exposed, meaning your assessment is correct.

3) "Long bone fractures" can cause a fat embolism (e.g. a blood clot) that can kill as well. That happened to Rodney Stowers of MSU in 1991 (ironically, treated by the orthopedist that treated my best friend at the time for a similar injury).
Prothro's bone kicked up dirt. That's how bad his injury was. You're right on all points.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
For those concerned about how much Saban will be blamed or second-guessed for his decision - he can handle it. We don't need to worry about Nick Saban. That said, we should move past it because he doesn't need to keep hearing it from the Alabama family, too.
I completely agree. Hindsight is always perfection from second guessers they come out of the woodwork when something goes wrong. So, I stand in support of Coach Saban, knowing he is human and every decision might not be the best choice. If we take a minute to appreciate what he has accomplished, we need to be careful with the criticism. He is the best college coach ever and we are fortunate to have him.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I didn't get to see much of the game especially not the injury but got to say very costly game. No blame to anyone just dumb bad luck! Roll Tide and lets go Mac!!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.