Tua's Injury

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let me say this, of course of this is all speculation, but my posterior plateau was fractured also. It was cracked only. This happens frequently in auto accidents, when the knee is driven into the dash, with the force of deceleration and the weight of the driver and/or passenger behind the impact. Frequently, the acetabular plateau is only cracked, as mine was in my ladder fall. This force is very great - tons per square inch. In Tua's case there were two tacklers plus Tua's weight, plus the height of the fall. All this together wouldn't equal that of an automobile accident, or, perhaps as in my case, a fall from 14'. All this to say that, the acetabulae being robust bones, there's a good chance the fracture is a crack, rather than the bone being frankly broken apart. After my fracture, I ran many thousands of miles for three decades. So there's at least a chance that his career won't be affected...

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
He was a magic player but I think we've seen him the last time in crimson. As I posted in the post-game thread, I've been through the fractured acetabular plateau, with the associated cartilage damage, leading to hip replacement years later. Dr. Davis, the GaTech team doctor, with the Andrews Group, did my eventual replacement at St. Vincent's. If it were a dislocation, there would be disturbance to the cartilage. If the socket were fractured, then there are long-term consequences. We need to pray for him and his family, thank him for what he's done for the University and pull behind the team with Mac as the leader...
Absolutely. "He was a magic player" with a CAN DO attitude.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Unfortunately, some soft tissue is always involved. Necrosis of the trocantor is pretty much a crap shoot - hard to predict. In my case, Bo's injury actually happened not that long after mine. After I was dxed with the crack in the back of the socket, I went back to my orthopedist and asked if perhaps we should take another x-ray of my trocantor. He agreed and they took regular x-rays for a couple of years. If the bone starts to die, as in Bo's case, it turns chalk white, instead of normal gray. I dodged that, but the cartilage damage over a period of years caused deterioration and an eventual replacement, when they saw off the trocantor, the head of the femur, anyway. On a light note, a couple of years after the replacement, the nurse of a new family doctor, noting my age, asked if I'd had a bone scan lately. I answered that I'd had something better. Bristling a bit, she asked what was better than a bone scan. I said that, when they sawed off the head of my femur, the surgeon had held it in his hands and, later, said that my bones were in excellent shape for my age... :D
Let's just hope not too much bone or soft tissue, not the vasculature, and not the sciatic nerve. There are also other things to worry about beyond the musculoskeletal as well, potentially. Early reduction does greatly reduce risk for AN. That would have been done pretty quickly, but there's still a risk (maybe around 5% under good circumstances). That is assuming no direct vascular injury. Still a lot we don't know at this point.

You had the best bone scan available! :D

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
After my fracture, I ran many thousands of miles for three decades. So there's at least a chance that his career won't be affected...
One thing to keep in mind is that there are some really unathletic quarterbacks in the NFL. Tom Brady's 40 time was 5.28!

So, I guess the question isn't if he's as mobile as he used to be. Honestly that was kind of a weakness because he ran when he should have protected himself. The question is just if he can be healthy enough for robust physical activity. I sure hope so, and may be he can transition into an NFL QB that stays in the pocket. That's what he had to do anyway if he wanted any hope of a lengthy career.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I have been praying for Tua all year. I know he and his family are devastated, but they are also of strong faith. It is just so heartbreaking to see one of the best Bama players ever have this happen. I love his faith, leadership, and contributions to BAMA football. I hurt for him.

I hope this is not career ending for him.

I wonder what his parents think about it, him playing that extra 2 minute drive, etc.

I know Bama won the game, but it just doesn't feel like it right now.

I pray for the doctors and for Tua and for all of his family and the team. I know the "experts" and people on here are divided about him being in that last series. I personally think Saban should have taken him out after the 21 point lead. This will bother Saban for a long time (I think) even if he does not admit it publicly. It looked like he was about to tear up in is interview.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let's just hope not too much bone or soft tissue, not the vasculature, and not the sciatic nerve. There are also other things to worry about beyond the musculoskeletal as well, potentially. Early reduction does greatly reduce risk for AN. That would have been done pretty quickly, but there's still a risk (maybe around 5% under good circumstances). That is assuming no direct vascular injury. Still a lot we don't know at this point.

Yes. I was very happy to avoid AN. But, you're correct. There's no way to rule out direct vascular injury. That will emerge over the next several days. It's a matter of luck, unfortunately...

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
I'm just curious. I know we aren't doctors here, but are we looking at hip replacement as the surgery? Or is that too much speculation?

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
One thing to keep in mind is that there are some really unathletic quarterbacks in the NFL. Tom Brady's 40 time was 5.28!

So, I guess the question isn't if he's as mobile as he used to be. Honestly that was kind of a weakness because he ran when he should have protected himself. The question is just if he can be healthy enough for robust physical activity. I sure hope so, and may be he can transition into an NFL QB that stays in the pocket. That's what he had to do anyway if he wanted any hope of a lengthy career.
One benefit Tua does have with his talent is that he is not only a mobile quarterback. He has a very strong arm and is accurate on his throws, so even if this injury does slow him down some as far as being mobile goes he still has other advantages as far as talent goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So the posterior wall fracture is part of the socket? I didn't know. Not very familiar with these medical terms.
Yes - google it. It is the back wall of the "cup". Any transverse fracture would mean the end of his football career. This one he can probably make a full recovery from.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Of all the injuries that I have seen over the years in this or that game....I am not remembering an injury quite this devastating to a young man. He is going to be fine I am sure..but I do know it will be a slow go for him. Tua will, I think, make the very best of this.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I am amazed at the detailed information about the Injury that is out there...

I hope he he has a full recovery. I hate this happens to this young man!!!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'm just curious. I know we aren't doctors here, but are we looking at hip replacement as the surgery? Or is that too much speculation?
Almost certainly not now, though long-term risk for osteoarthritis that would necessitate one in his later years is a substantial risk.

The procedure to fix this (if the injury is severe enough) is called ORIF, or open reduction and internal fixation. CT, CTA, MRI, and direct exam and visualization of the injury guide the treatment.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Earle is spot on with this. Saw many hip fractures & dislocations in my ER days. Sometimes it’s the dislocation you worry about the most. The area in and around the acetabulum and the femoral head are very vascular. With a hip dislocation you’re always about trauma to the vessel supplying that femoral head and the socket. My hope is they got the dislocation reduced in a timely fashion and blood flow wasn’t compromised.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes - google it. It is the back wall of the "cup". Any transverse fracture would mean the end of his football career. This one he can probably make a full recovery from.
True. Mine healed up and allowed me to pursue an avocation as a distance runner and triathlete. OTOH, the doc with Andrews told me that, although the crack in the back of the acetabular socket healed up, the damage to the cartilage would not and that's what led to a hip replacement 25 years later. I'm sure Tua, at this stage of his life, would make this trade in a New York minute...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Almost certainly not now, though long-term risk for osteoarthritis that would necessitate one in his later years is a substantial risk.

The procedure to fix this (if the injury is severe enough) is called ORIF, or open reduction and internal fixation. CT, CTA, MRI, and direct exam and visualization of the injury guide the treatment.
I agree. It would have to be a disastrous injury to indicate THR...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.