Tua's Injury

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Report from Rodney Orr of TiderInsider (by permission)

I spoke to sources this morning who provided an update on Tua's hip injury/surgery. I originally posted this on Tider Insider but wanted to share with all Alabama fans.
--With this type of injury, the chances of a complete/full recovery are 90% if the hip is back in place within the first six hours. I am told the Bama med staff did an incredible job of immediately diagnosing the dislocation and having the hip back in place within three MINUTES of getting Tua in the locker room.
--As for the surgery itself, it was described to me as having been "beyond" successful. Doctors and medical staff, Bama staff, the Tagovailoas are all greatly encouraged as the recovery is expected to be full, complete and possibly quicker than some reports have suggested.
--The preliminary expectation is the rehab/recovery process will take 3 to 6 months.
--Tua is expected back in Tuscaloosa in the next 24-48 hours roughly. He will begin initial rehab work.
--Tua is expected to attend this Saturday's game at Bryant Denny vs Western Carolina.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I spoke to sources this morning who provided an update on Tua's hip injury/surgery. I originally posted this on Tider Insider but wanted to share with all Alabama fans.
--With this type of injury, the chances of a complete/full recovery are 90% if the hip is back in place within the first six hours. I am told the Bama med staff did an incredible job of immediately diagnosing the dislocation and having the hip back in place within three MINUTES of getting Tua in the locker room.
--As for the surgery itself, it was described to me as having been "beyond" successful. Doctors and medical staff, Bama staff, the Tagovailoas are all greatly encouraged as the recovery is expected to be full, complete and possibly quicker than some reports have suggested.
--The preliminary expectation is the rehab/recovery process will take 3 to 6 months.
--Tua is expected back in Tuscaloosa in the next 24-48 hours roughly. He will begin initial rehab work.
--Tua is expected to attend this Saturday's game at Bryant Denny vs Western Carolina.
This is all GREAT news, thank you for sharing it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Wow, wow, wow, and well -- wow!

He may well be God's favorite ;)

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I just pray he is not on the sidelines for the game as he will not have the mobility to get out of the way of potential trouble. He and his family should take up residence in a comfortable box for the game providing the NCAA will permit it. The guy deserves it.

NCRollTider

Dec 17, 2010

I mostly read and lurk, but I wanted to thank you so much for this information. Everything I've read, here and elsewhere, has suggested that things went as well as they possibly could upon Tua's injury happening, but this just brings it all together.
As I was reading this, tears of happiness started to roll down my face, and with each point I couldn't help but tap my feet with joy reading it. Something about this kid-and not just his amazing skills on the field-but his general joy and generous spirit, just makes you cheer for him. We've been lucky at Alabama to have him, and his family, as part of our team.
Thank you again for the updates. I look forward to seeing him on the sidelines (safely ensconced somewhere, hopefully!) on Saturday. This must really give the team a lift.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I just pray he is not on the sidelines for the game as he will not have the mobility to get out of the way of potential trouble. He and his family should take up residence in a comfortable box for the game providing the NCAA will permit it. The guy deserves it.
He'll be fine.

And the impact he'll have by being with his teammates on the sideline would far outweigh the potential risk (which is minimal).

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
i wonder if we can send him out as a team captain for the auburn game?

would be interesting to see the way he is received by their fans.

i'm hopefully optimistic they would cheer him...even if it's just to cheer the fact that they won't ever have to face him again.

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
From my own research, I knew that the speed with which the reduction happens is critical. Quicker than 6 hours is 90%. More than 6 hours is less than 50% full recovery...
I'd like to think a hip dislocation would be something quickly diagnosed and corrected. I can't imagine someone being in that agony for more than 6 hours. The extended time must be something like a back country hiking/rafting type trip that leaves you separated from rapid medical care.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd like to think a hip dislocation would be something quickly diagnosed and corrected. I can't imagine someone being in that agony for more than 6 hours. The extended time must be something like a back country hiking/rafting type trip that leaves you separated from rapid medical care.
Those are the normal conditions when that happens. I'd add that it's harder to reduce a hip dislocation than a shoulder...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Thanks for posting this. I have been worrying about him since the MSU game. Well, maybe since the Tennessee game.

I hope he is located in the Press Box or in some BOX so there is "0" chance of further injury. If he's on the SIDELINE, I will be WORRIED throughout the game. Will he be in a wheel chair?

I also love the response from Tua's parents from yesterday regarding his health care.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Thanks for posting this. I have been worrying about him since the MSU game. Well, maybe since the Tennessee game.

I hope he is located in the Press Box or in some BOX so there is "0" chance of further injury. If he's on the SIDELINE, I will be WORRIED throughout the game. Will he be in a wheel chair?

I also love the response from Tua's parents from yesterday regarding his health care.
Wouldn’t it be something if he exceeded expectations and got to a
place where he could work out for the NFL quicker, should he choose that route?

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
Tua deserves a parade or something where every fan could gather and show their appreciation! My favorite player of all time at Alabama!!!! Roll Tide and God bless Tua!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.