Tua's Injury

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Goodness! That could have been much, much worse!
That whole incident could almost support a novella. I was in the house, trying to stanch the blood flow, trying to decide if I needed an ambulance, since my wife and our German exchange student were out somewhere, when a very strange kid from our neighborhood started pounding on the door and I had a hard time running him off. He wanted to see the blood. When we made the ER, I had to wait hours, after asking for a particular plastic surgeon, who happened to be on call. It turned out the ER doc wanted to sew me up, for practice, I guess. I'll go non-PC and confess that I told her "No, sweetheart, you're not touching my face. I want the plastic surgeon I asked for." She pouted and said he wasn't written down, which was a lie. When he got there in three hours, he said he could have been there in ten minutes. He was highly recommended and had been in med school with my secretary's SIL, an anesthesiologist. I'd never met him. Now, my facial x-rays are a mess, from impacts, multiple nose breaks, etc. I'd explained all this to the x-ray tech, who, by now, was off duty. When the surgeon walked in, he said "Somehow, I thought you'd look worse than this." I explained that I'd told the tech about the history of my face. He turned to Liz and said "Does he look today like he looked yesterday?" She whipped out a photo and he examined it, gave it back to her and said "God, those x-rays look awful"... :D

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
His draft status could be totally disrupted - totally depends on the exact nature of the injury and his recovery. There is a strong likelihood that he will not be able to do any physical workouts before the draft. So, IMO, he should stay at Alabama, rehab/redshirt next year and then go out for the 2021 draft.
I agree....to an extent. Part of me thinks Tua wouldn't want to end his college career like that. I bet he redshirts next year and comes back for a 5th season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree....to an extent. Part of me thinks Tua wouldn't want to end his college career like that. I bet he redshirts next year and comes back for a 5th season.
I hope not - for his sake. If he wants to play in the NFL, he needs to stop playing college football.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Fantastic. From the sound of that it's leading me to think there was no break then?
Idk. Doesn’t say yes or no, but from the comments above not all breaks are the same. The still undergoing tests part sounds a little iffy, but at least it sounds positive.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Idk. Doesn’t say yes or no, but from the comments above not all breaks are the same. The still undergoing tests part sounds a little iffy, but at least it sounds positive.
Yep - if the initial reported fracture is accurate and there are no vascular or nerve issues, he will have a full recovery. But it is going to take a long time.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Full recovery may not mean full,you can play football again, recovery. We will have to wait and see I suppose.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Lyle Cain/UA has released a statement regarding Tua

[FONT=&quot]“Tua Tagovailoa sustained a right hip dislocation that was immediately reduced at the stadium. He is undergoing further testing to determine the best course of treatment. He is expected to make a full recovery but will miss the remainder of the season.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dr. Lyle Cain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alabama Team Orthopedic Surgeon, Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Clinic[/FONT]
https://mynbc15.com/sports/universi...-alabama-team-orthopedic-surgeon-dr-lyle-cain

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

“Tua Tagovailoa sustained a right hip dislocation that was immediately reduced at the stadium. He is undergoing further testing to determine the best course of treatment. He is expected to make a full recovery but will miss the remainder of the season.”
Dr. Lyle Cain
Alabama Team Orthopedic Surgeon, Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Clinic
https://mynbc15.com/sports/universi...-alabama-team-orthopedic-surgeon-dr-lyle-cain
This release doesn't mention any fracture, so maybe he didn't have. Tide HSV can probably provide the best prognosis on this injury, either with or without a fracture.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Could be a difficult to 100% diagnose detect hairline fracture resulting from just the sheer force of the impact or possible twisting action. Based on these updated reports though he should be able to make a full recovery, however, this will almost certainly not occur this year. The 6-9 month window that came from a couple of board moderators is very good estimate. Keep praying for more good news and reports updates.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
My brother is an MRI tech. He said they can tell easily if there’s a hairline crack. His words when asked how easy is it to see a crack or soft tissue damage.
“Very easy. T2 fat sat or STIR sequence will show hot spot where the bone is repairing itself. T1 sequence will show the whether it is a crack or contusion.”
He said the bone will begin to repair immediately.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
SIAP (not going to search 16 pages). Is there a silver lining in this dark cloud? Could Tua return next season because of the inevitable draft status hit?

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Also, just read previous post while I was typing but Dr. Cain is without a doubt one of the best if not the best orthopedist in the world in a group of elite orthopedists who do confer with each other so their knowledge base, expertise, and experience is truly immense. I would trust his their diagnosis and judgment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.