Game Thread: UGA @ AU: “The DSOR”

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
2007 (obviously).

This one is different. Chances are Bama will have to do some hoping in order to get into the playoff after the Iron Bowl. In every other situation 2008 to 2018 the IB winner either A) would go the SECCG with a win B)go to the BCS/Playoff with a win. This year is different. Now maybe Oregon or Oklahoma lose in the next two weeks, but chances are a Bama win in the Iron Bowl won't lead to B (we know it won't led to A).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
2007 (obviously).

This one is different. Chances are Bama will have to do some hoping in order to get into the playoff after the Iron Bowl. In every other situation 2008 to 2018 the IB winner either A) would go the SECCG with a win B)go to the BCS/Playoff with a win. This year is different. Now maybe Oregon or Oklahoma lose in the next two weeks, but chances are a Bama win in the Iron Bowl won't lead to B (we know it won't led to A).
I agree.

You have one of the sharpest football minds on the board. I wish you would share more of your insight on the play rather than generalities.

2ndand26

Oct 4, 2018
Huntsville, AL
2007 (obviously).

How on God's green Earth, and in what Universe, can it be true that a team that puts upwards of 10 players in the projected first two rounds of the 2020 NFL draft is not one of the 4 best teams? How can some so-called experts - who played the game! - place Bama at 8 or worse in their personal rankings?

Oregon is projected to have 1 first rounder and 3 third rounders. Bama is projected at 6 first rounds and 4 second rounders. I just don't get it. I understand conference championships and all that, but in my eyes, all things being equal, a team with that many projected first and second round picks in the NFL draft is "unequivocally" better than those to which they are being compared. There's no debate. What am I missing?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How on God's green Earth, and in what Universe, can it be true that a team that puts upwards of 10 players in the projected first two rounds of the 2020 NFL draft is not one of the 4 best teams? How can some so-called experts - who played the game! - place Bama at 8 or worse in their personal rankings?

Oregon is projected to have 1 first rounder and 3 third rounders. Bama is projected at 6 first rounds and 4 second rounders. I just don't get it. I understand conference championships and all that, but in my eyes, all things being equal, a team with that many projected first and second round picks in the NFL draft is "unequivocally" better than those to which they are being compared. There's no debate. What am I missing?
Here, try on this pair of Eeyore Glasses that keep getting passed around from some of the "Doom and Gloom" Crowd on here..... they've been almost hoping we get eliminated from the beginning of the year, just so they can say, "see? I told you so"

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
CoachJeff, I'll remind you that half or more of our recent championships have come when we needed a heck of a lot of hope and luck to even be there. 2011 ring a bell? How many times have we needed 3 or 4 teams in front of us lose so we could get that shot?
I don't mind being realistic and reallity is that we may or may not get into the playoffs this year. But you are being a downright pessimist without really having anything to back it up.
We win this weekend and then next weekend we win at AU (particularly by two scores or more with a backup qb) and the committee would be hard pressed to not put us in.
Look, go have a couple of stiff drinks of bourbon or scotch and try.......REALLY GIVE AN EFFORT to just support the team and quit being so glum about everything.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I will be like I am every year during the iron bowl. Having my sons with me, drinking beer and raising hell during the game. There is no such thing as a meaningless iron bowl. Roll Tide!!!!!🙌

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Quote:
2011 - Bama was #2 going into the Iron Bowl. Because others in front of us lost. We were dropped to 4th or 5th (somewhere around there) after losing to LSU.
Point is, Nearly every team who has won a championship in the last 20 years has needed luck at some point to get there (exception Clemson because they truly don't play anyone in regular season).

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
What I'm afraid of is that AU is going to want it more. I see far more intangibles favoring them. Hell, more tangibles maybe too. We aren't playing good defense and AU is playing lights out on that side of the ball. That sucks for us with our passing game sure to come down to earth. We'll most likely resort to a lot of very safe, short passing routes and that will play right into their hands. They will eat that up. Of course, Nix and company stink up the joint. It's a tragedy for Auburn that their stellar defense is largely wasted due to the ineptitude of their offensive players and staff. When it comes down to it though, I'm afraid we're gonna be deflated mentally. We lost our best player, dropped in the polls and now we have to go to the worst place we could possibly pick to close out the season. They're gonna be smarting off that UGA loss and how they almost pulled out another ridiculous miracle. GusBus will be coaching for his life. I dunno. I just feel they're gonna want it more than we do. Remember, they're more obsessed with us than we are with them. Unfortunately, sometimes in this game it shows. Oh also, though their kicker isn't as great as their usual, he's still probably better than what we're gonna throw out there.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
What I'm afraid of is that AU is going to want it more. I see far more intangibles favoring them. Hell, more tangibles maybe too. We aren't playing good defense and AU is playing lights out on that side of the ball. That sucks for us with our passing game sure to come down to earth. We'll most likely resort to a lot of very safe, short passing routes and that will play right into their hands. They will eat that up. Of course, Nix and company stink up the joint. It's a tragedy for Auburn that their stellar defense is largely wasted due to the ineptitude of their offensive players and staff. When it comes down to it though, I'm afraid we're gonna be deflated mentally. We lost our best player, dropped in the polls and now we have to go to the worst place we could possibly pick to close out the season. They're gonna be smarting off that UGA loss and how they almost pulled out another ridiculous miracle. GusBus will be coaching for his life. I dunno. I just feel they're gonna want it more than we do. Remember, they're more obsessed with us than we are with them. Unfortunately, sometimes in this game it shows. Oh also, though their kicker isn't as great as their usual, he's still probably better than what we're gonna throw out there.
Man, I hate to say it but in that stadium they always want it more. They simply aren’t very good on offense this year but their defense can keep it close. That’s when things get weird.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
How on God's green Earth, and in what Universe, can it be true that a team that puts upwards of 10 players in the projected first two rounds of the 2020 NFL draft is not one of the 4 best teams?
The committee is going to rate Strength of Schedule over how many players are projected to in the NFL draft. That is immaterial. It's about quality wins to the committee.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i'm not sure why folks think our guys aren't going to pour themselves into this game and are just going to mail in the rest of the season

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
i'm not sure why folks think our guys aren't going to pour themselves into this game and are just going to mail in the rest of the season
Me either, since I didn't say that.

For my part I'm not sure why folks don't see that sometimes, while we're motivated, the other team is more motivated. While we're greatly talented, sometimes the other team plays even more talented.

There are examples of both scenarios happening to us in the recent past, yet some people act like acknowledging it means they're less of a fan. It does not.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Me either, since I didn't say that.

For my part I'm not sure why folks don't see that sometimes, while we're motivated, the other team is more motivated. While we're greatly talented, sometimes the other team plays even more talented.

There are examples of both scenarios happening to us in the recent past, yet some people act like acknowledging it means they're less of a fan. It does not.
you said they are going to want it more. that implies our guys are not wanting it enough. i am not sure in what universe the players on our team are not going to want to win this game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
you said they are going to want it more. that implies our guys are not wanting it enough. i am not sure in what universe the players on our team are not going to want to win this game.
Yep - the mantra is going to be "win this for Tua". I really think that Alabama could throttle Auburn in this game.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Short passes has been Bama's game plan all season with Tua. It moves the chains and consumes time, to give the defense more rest. But that may change a bit with Mac, after seeing how defenses are playing it up close. Don't think Mac can't pass. He can. I expect to see more longer throws, just to keep their defenders honest. I'm not worried about Mac's passing. I'm more concerned about getting the run game going. The OL will have to do their job.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Mooooooooo...
what i'm afraid of is that au is going to want it more. i see far more intangibles favoring them. Hell, more tangibles maybe too. we aren't playing good defense and au is playing lights out on that side of the ball. That sucks for us with our passing game sure to come down to earth. We'll most likely resort to a lot of very safe, short passing routes and that will play right into their hands. they will eat that up. Of course, nix and company stink up the joint.efenseisit's a tragedy for auburn that their stellar d largely wasted due to the ineptitude of their offensive players and staff. when it comes down to it though, i'm afraid we're gonna be deflated mentally. We lost our best player, dropped in the polls and now we have to go to the worst place we could possibly pick to close out the season. They're gonna be smarting off that uga loss and how they almost pulled out another ridiculous miracle. Gusbus will be coaching for his life. I dunno. i just feel they're gonna want it more than we do. remember, they're more obsessed with us than we are with them. Unfortunately, sometimes in this game it shows. Oh also, though their kicker isn't as great as their usual, he's still probably better than what we're gonna throw out there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.