Game Thread: Jalen Hurts @ Baylor (ABC)

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Dang, I stopped watching the game last night and left Baylor a message here to leave no doubt. I guess the only doubt remaining is how they blew that game. Ouch! Apparently, Jalen played a heck of a second half.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I watched that game on mute. It was a great comeback. Happy for Jalen, but not OU. If not for Jalen, OU would have 3 losses probably. I still don't want Bama to play OU, especially since Tua is out. If LSU beats UGA to get them out of the playoffs, wouldn't UGA get the Sugar Bowl spot? (If we don't beat Auburn?)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I watched that game on mute. It was a great comeback. Happy for Jalen, but not OU. If not for Jalen, OU would have 3 losses probably. I still don't want Bama to play OU, especially since Tua is out. If LSU beats UGA to get them out of the playoffs, wouldn't UGA get the Sugar Bowl spot? (If we don't beat Auburn?)
If we don’t beat Auburn, yes that’s likely. In fact, in that case we probably drop to the Citrus Bowl.

If we do beat Auburn but miss the playoff, we are in the Sugar Bowl. Georgia, at 11-2, is likely in another NY6 bowl or the Citrus Bowl themselves.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Hurts is a warrior.

He has deficiencies as a passer, that can cost his team dearly mind you. But he has just about all the intangibles and other characteristics you would want. He's a fighter, he maintains composure, he might not be one of the best passers in college football but he is one of the better quarterbacks.
Durability is often underrated.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Jalen had 3 TOs; 2 in the first half that dug the whole. OU ran 31 plays in the 3rd quarter and Baylor O was tight in the second half. I think they only ran 4 plays in Q3 and couldn't find their rhythm. Jalen was a stud running in the 2nd half. They knew he was going to run it but they couldn't stop it. Probably because they were so tired.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
OU wore Baylor down with those 3 long drives in the 2nd half and Hurts is the perfect QB in such a scenario. He threw to 10 different receivers. It actually might have been a good thing CeeDee was out because Hurts had become too dependent on him. Lots of freshmen making plays. Hurts is a warrior. He trysts to do too much at times and he is not the passer Murray or Mayfield were but his grit, determination, and leadership are invaluable. We are not a playoff team in my opinion but I like our chances to win the Big 12.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OU wore Baylor down with those 3 long drives in the 2nd half and Hurts is the perfect QB in such a scenario. He threw to 10 different receivers. It actually might have been a good thing CeeDee was out because Hurts had become too dependent on him. Lots of freshmen making plays. Hurts is a warrior. He trysts to do too much at times and he is not the passer Murray or Mayfield were but his grit, determination, and leadership are invaluable. We are not a playoff team in my opinion but I like our chances to win the Big 12.
This is something we are very well acquainted with. It was a pretty constant criticism of him when he was here, that and its twin of taking off too quickly. He's made a lot of progress in that respect...

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
This was an interesting/revealing thread (this was my first chance to review it).

Everything I've read aside, Jalen shook off an ugly first half and brought the Sooners back from the precipice of certain defeat. OU's second-half defense was also stellar, but that performance, no matter how impressive, won't make me forget the nightmares that were KSU/ISU, nor the first half of the Baylor game. For this reason, I (like owenfieldreams) am not sure my Sooners deserve to be in the playoffs, even if they finish with just the one loss.

For what it's worth, I hate Tua's injury not only for Tua's sake, but also for what it could potentially mean for Bama's playoff chances.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.