ADMIN NOTE: Statement on Tua Tagovailoa from Alabama team surgeon Dr. Lyle Cain (Saturday)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Statement on Tua Tagovailoa from Alabama team surgeon Dr. Lyle Cain

What I have read is that your surgery should be performed by someone who has a great deal of experience fixing your exact hip injury - the more experience, the greater the likelihood of a successful outcome. Maybe these folks have more experience with this specific surgery?
I'm sure. I'm just disappointed that it's indicated...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

This is not really great news. This indicates that the damage was more than the simple dislocation would indicate. Also, the fact that the Andrews group is not doing it is not a great indicator. People come from all over to Birmingham to have them do the surgery...

Yep..................sounds that way.

Folks not familiar with doctor talk have different interpretations of "full recovery" than they do.

The form most familiar to me is "well, you are still alive................what are you complaining about?"

Hey, some of us can make a career out of complaining. If they only knew who they were dealing with............

(Moral of the story: don't go to a research hospital if you can avoid it. They really are there for the research.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I'm sure. I'm just disappointed that it's indicated...
Yeah, I was hoping that the bone chip would move back into place and no surgery would be required. :frown:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Yeah, I was hoping that the bone chip would move back into place and no surgery would be required. :frown:
Maybe it’s for the labral tear to stabilize the femur head? Hopefully its not more serious. It’s really all speculation at this point.
FWIW, I have corrective knee surgery scheduled for Dec 4th. I can relate . Full/good recovery isn’t always full/good!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Maybe it’s for the labral tear to stabilize the femur head? Hopefully its not more serious. It’s really all speculation at this point.
FWIW, I have corrective knee surgery scheduled for Dec 4th. I can relate . Full/good recovery isn’t always full/good!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The question there is: Is there a labral tear? An unstable fracture? Vascular issues?

Not to speculate, but we don't know the severity and they are NOT going to broadcast it. Or it could be that the doctors at Andrews and/or Tua's family felt someone else was better for doing the exact surgery that needs done.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The question there is: Is there a labral tear? An unstable fracture? Vascular issues?

Not to speculate, but we don't know the severity and they are NOT going to broadcast it. Or it could be that the doctors at Andrews and/or Tua's family felt someone else was better for doing the exact surgery that needs done.
A lot of it, we'll never know (and don't need to). However, it's safe to assume that it's not the simplest case or surgery wouldn't be indicated at all. That's pretty clear. I hate that surgery is indicated, but, since it is, I want him to have the best in the country. Since I'm going to have to have my right THR revised, I'll be looking with great curiosity at who does it...

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013

I don't know how anyone could read this and think it's anything but bad news. Must have discovered more complicated/problematic to require a trip to Houston.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't know how anyone could read this and think it's anything but bad news. Must have discovered more complicated/problematic to require a trip to Houston.
It is certainly not the best possible news, but as long as he makes it back onto the football field to continue his dream, I wouldn't call it "bad" news just yet. I just feel terrible for him that he has to go through this. Some players just can't seem to catch a break.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
What many people are failing to understand, is that football is not the god which Tua serves...

“23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
—Col 3:23-24

Tua serves the Lord, and everything else is secondary. Whether you’re a believer or not, is unimportant.....Tua is, and his faith makes all the difference in this situation.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.