JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
MSU wrapup: Loss of Tua eclipses win over Mississippi State
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 17th, 2019 04:48 AM

When the final chapter of Tua Tagovailoa’s book at The University of Alabama is written, the resulting product is going to be a story of what might have been, above all else. Alabama seems to have a penchant for this. Joe Namath. Kerry Goode. Linnie Patrick. The most talented, explosive players Alabama signs – […]

Read More Here

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
"The pressure is going to be on in two weeks when the Crimson Tide visits Auburn, but Jones is probably already better than Auburn’s Bo Nix." Great read Jess as usual. Let's hope that after 3 years at Bama that Mac is better than a true freshman, even though Nix has started every game this year. If he is not we might be in for a world of hurt moving forward.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Why did Talia play for 2 snaps? I guess the coaches have no decided that he can’t redshirt, but you would think that could have been a measured decision made this week, and not on the field.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why did Talia play for 2 snaps? I guess the coaches have no decided that he can’t redshirt, but you would think that could have been a measured decision made this week, and not on the field.
He is now #2 - get him a few snaps to make him comfortable. He will probably play some this weekend, too. Doubt he sees the field after that, though - maybe a bowl game if you miss out on the CFP.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks for the write up Jess. I know it was difficult to write.

Was this Talia's 4th game? Saban will burn his redshirt if he has to, unless his parents tell him not to. Lot's of decisions to be made over the next few days, weeks, and months for Bama and the players.

I hope the team will come together and win out for Tua and for BAMA football. It would be sweet to beat Auburn at their place with Mac. That includes winning the bowl game, even though I imagine some players will sit out for the NFL draft. Can't blame them, not after what happened to Tua.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Was this Talia's 4th game? Saban will burn his redshirt if he has to, unless his parents tell him not to. Lot's of decisions to be made over the next few days, weeks, and months for Bama and the players.

I hope the team will come together and win out for Tua and for BAMA football. It would be sweet to beat Auburn at their place with Mac. That includes winning the bowl game, even though I imagine some players will sit out for the NFL draft. Can't blame them, not after what happened to Tua.
I thought it was odd but Lia is #2 now and we may need him at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

According to the participation charts on rolltide.com, he can still redshirt. He has only played in 4 games. Saban will probably talk to him and his family about his redshirt, but with the Aubrun game and CFP still out there, you need to get your 2nd QB some snaps. But how do you weigh that against the even greater need to get Mac more snaps?

Also, you have Bolden as an emergency QB if Saban wants to preserve the Lia redshirt.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Jess, when you wrote about this:

“Jones’ skill set is built perfectly for short passes that demand accuracy, with the occasional throw over the top.......The pressure is going to be on in two weeks when the Crimson Tide visits Auburn.”

My first thought was if the coaches try to play this safe and short game against Auburn, we are in trouble. We have to periodically throw deep on Auburn...their defensive backs literally hold and interfere with receivers right off the LOS, and there’s not much separation until a receiver can gain speed and make a cut. In addition to throwing deep, we are going to need to throw on 1st and/or 2d down. If we are predictable and run twice and try to throw short passes (or worse with penalties or negative plays) on 3d downs, their defensive line is too good and Mac will get hammered.

I think Play action passes down the field on 1st and second down will be a big deal in the game against Auburn; screen passes could be big too.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jess, when you wrote about this:

“Jones’ skill set is built perfectly for short passes that demand accuracy, with the occasional throw over the top.......The pressure is going to be on in two weeks when the Crimson Tide visits Auburn.”

My first thought was if the coaches try to play this safe and short game against Auburn, we are in trouble. We have to periodically throw deep on Auburn...their defensive backs literally hold and interfere with receivers right off the LOS, and there’s not much separation until a receiver can gain speed and make a cut. In addition to throwing deep, we are going to need to throw on 1st and/or 2d down. If we are predictable and run twice and try to throw short passes (or worse with penalties or negative plays) on 3d downs, their defensive line is too good and Mac will get hammered.

I think Play action passes down the field on 1st and second down will be a big deal in the game against Auburn; screen passes could be big too.
Agreed - their weakness is their secondary, and you have to beat them there. With Mac in rather than Tua, I doubt that they play the "safe" defense that they played against Burrow. You are going to see them bring the heat and play man defense. If the line can give Mac time, you can kill them. Your receivers are amazing.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Agreed - their weakness is their secondary, and you have to beat them there. With Mac in rather than Tua, I doubt that they play the "safe" defense that they played against Burrow. You are going to see them bring the heat and play man defense. If the line can give Mac time, you can kill them. Your receivers are amazing.
We need quick decisive throws and RB’s in the flats to beat the barn. With two full weeks of practice and to mentally heal from yesterday, I would think the players will be motivated to beat the barn.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Mac can play so I suspect the committee will have to show their hand this week and take us down the ranking to avoid any controversy later after we beat Auburn. The challenge for this team will be how much effort is put into winning a meaningless bowl game. The Sugar Bowl has not been good to us or any other SEC team in that position lately.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Mac can play so I suspect the committee will have to show their hand this week and take us down the ranking to avoid any controversy later after we beat Auburn. The challenge for this team will be how much effort is put into winning a meaningless bowl game. The Sugar Bowl has not been good to us or any other SEC in that position lately.
If they move us down, and we come out and destroy Auburn, they have to move us back up. Frankly, if we beat Auburn something like 31-17, they've got to move us back up. This is something no team has done this year. LSU only beat them by 3. Georgia by 7. Florida did beat them by 11. I'm not saying we will do this; I respect Auburn's defense and realize our own defense is liable to allow Nix and company more than should be reasonable. BUT.. it is possible if this team rallies and believes in itself.

We would still be 11-1. I'm not sure we could win a playoff game without Tua, but frankly what does that matter if we still deserve it? I'm not sure Oklahoma/Oregon/Utah could win a playoff game with their starting QBs either.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
"The pressure is going to be on in two weeks when the Crimson Tide visits Auburn, but Jones is probably already better than Auburn’s Bo Nix." Great read Jess as usual. Let's hope that after 3 years at Bama that Mac is better than a true freshman, even though Nix has started every game this year. If he is not we might be in for a world of hurt moving forward.
To be fair, Nix probably has at least caught up with Jones from a development standpoint seeing that he's had more real game experience as the starting quarterback as Jones. Nix will basically have had a full year of starter experience when the Iron Bowl is played compared to the very limited real game experience Jones has had.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To be fair, Nix probably has at least caught up with Jones from a development standpoint seeing that he's had more real game experience as the starting quarterback as Jones. Nix will basically have had a full year of starter experience when the Iron Bowl is played compared to the very limited real game experience Jones has had.
Jones has received actual QB coaching. Nix has received, well, something else.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't know if it will translate in the actual game, but Mac Jones has looked far more competent in his time this year than Bo Nix has at any moment.

I disagree that Nix is anywhere near him, from a developmental standpoint.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't know if it will translate in the actual game, but Mac Jones has looked far more competent in his time this year than Bo Nix has at any moment.

I disagree that Nix is anywhere near him, from a developmental standpoint.
We shall see. But there things learned in games that can't be learned and many times coached in practice. Nix will have had 11 consecutive games of it. My hope is the game isn't put on Jones' shoulders anyway.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
We shall see. But there things learned in games that can't be learned and many times coached in practice. Nix will have had 11 consecutive games of it. My hope is the game isn't put on Jones' shoulders anyway.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Lots and lots of Najee!

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks for the great write-up, Jess. I surely pray for Tua's complete recovery. I also surely hope we stomp Auburn! I think if we play like we are capable of, we will...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You have to pass to beat Auburn. Their defensive line is dominant. The held Georgia to 141 yards rushing on 36 attempts. Georgia struggled in the game because they also struggled to throw the ball with only 110 yards passing.

Najee is better than any of the RBs on Georgia, but their o-line is legit. You can't lean on Najee too much in this game. Play conservative football and you will lose. Where you have an advantage is in the WR/DB matchups. You only win this game if Mac can get the ball in the hands of your receivers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.