Redshirts available/burned

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
At this point in the season, what freshmen have games left to play before burning a redshirt and who all have played 4 and no more?
Specifically wondering about Will Reichard, I don’t remember at what point he was hurt. Played one snap in one game past that.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don’t know the rules for such, but I would think Will would be a great candidate for a medical redshirt.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don’t know the rules for such, but I would think Will would be a great candidate for a medical redshirt.
I think his participation percentage in the regular season is already past the guidelines for eligibility (25%).

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
4 games is the breaking point. You can play 4 and be redshirted.
Medical redshirts are applied for AFTER the last year of eligibility.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Medical Hardship Requirements

30 % of 13 games (if a conference has a CG, it is included) so that is 3.9 games. Calculation is rounded to next highest number, even if under 3.5. Key wording is "more than", therefore an SEC football player can not have played in more than 4 games total, and all in the first half of the season in question, to be eligible.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
wrong thread, whoops

I wondered if Tua's brother was close to using up a redshirt if he finishes the season for us as a backup who gets playing time.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
According to Rolltide.com, redshirts have been burned on 14 players; 3 on the cusp with 3 games played (Taulia, Scooby & Pierce Quick), Bowles and Ingram have played in 1 game and those with zero participation include Turnage, Tyson, George, Sanders, Harris, Amari Knight and Ish Sopsher.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought for sure that Taulia had a few more games of participation but I reckon not:

He came in late v. Duke. Played the entire second half v. Arkansas. Came in late v. Mississippi State.

He never got into the NM St despite the score because our defense couldn't get off the field in the 4th quarter.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
According to Rolltide.com, redshirts have been burned on 14 players; 3 on the cusp with 3 games played (Taulia, Scooby & Pierce Quick), Bowles and Ingram have played in 1 game and those with zero participation include Turnage, Tyson, George, Sanders, Harris, Amari Knight and Ish Sopsher.
Nope - Rolltide.com has Lia in 4 games: Duke, So. Miss, Arkansas and MSU

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Good catch, must've missed it scrubbing through that video. Taulia cannot participate for the rest of the season or lose his redshirt. Barring Saban deciding to play Jones 4 quarters, Taulia is losing his redshirt on Saturday.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Everybody knows it, but I'm going to say it...

One of the reasons this site is so magnetic is you can just type out a question and in a few minutes...up pops an answer or two. And they are almost always right.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Good catch, must've missed it scrubbing through that video. Taulia cannot participate for the rest of the season or lose his redshirt. Barring Saban deciding to play Jones 4 quarters, Taulia is losing his redshirt on Saturday.
Or he could play Tyson. I think Mac plays the whole game, he needs the reps. It might be behind the fifth string receivers blocking while the fourth string defensive tackles run the dive, but I think he plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Or he could play Tyson. I think Mac plays the whole game, he needs the reps. It might be behind the fifth string receivers blocking while the fourth string defensive tackles run the dive, but I think he plays.
Are you thinking we might see Tyson this weekend? I can see how that might happen, if we have a comfortable lead and the coaches want to let him get some field time in without jeopardizing his redshirt.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tyson has not appeared in a single game and many may be thinking that this would be a great time to put him in a game. That may be true if you are literally just running out the clock at the end of the game, as Saban tends to do. But if Saban is trying to prepare Mac and Lia for Auburn, then Mac and Lia need to get every snap.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree. You play whoever can help the team win right now. If guys aren't ready to help the team right now, you redshirt those guys and help them develop so they can help the team later. First and foremost, though, is what does this team need to give us the best opportunity to be successful? It has always seemed to be a simple decision to me.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Tyosn has not appeared in a single game and many may be thinking that this would be a great time to put him in a game. That may be true if you are literally just running out the clock at the end of the game, as Saban tends to do. But if Saban is trying to prepare Mac and Lia for Auburn, then Mac and Lia need to get every snap.

I agree with you but I would still love to see Paul Tyson play just once this year, and this would be the best game to do that. Even if he just plays one series. I guess it would be neat because he is Bear's great grandson. :)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I agree with you but I would still love to see Paul Tyson play just once this year, and this would be the best game to do that. Even if he just plays one series. I guess it would be neat because he is Bear's great grandson. :)
Big pretty much explains why we won't see him play this weekend.

But it will be special when he takes the field. I hope the first game he plays in will be in Bryant-Denny, whenever that might happen. Talk about a legacy welcome from the home crowd.

Several years ago I was chatting with the head football coach of another school and the subject of Coach Bryant came up. He asked me about the Bryant Scholarship program that had been established to provide scholarships for the children of former players, coaches, staff, managers, and trainers who had served under Paul Bryant when he was head coach at Bama, 1958-82.
He said, “That is the best legacy I have ever heard of a coach doing.”
The sad thing is that the NCAA has since outlawed the practice. The good thing is that the Bryant Scholarship was grandfathered in because it had been established before the NCAA ruled that it was an impermissible benefit for student-athletes. And the really good thing is that 35 years since Bryant’s last season, it is still going strong.
https://247sports.com/college/alaba...Paul-Bryant-Tide-players-and-staff-110577801/

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Tyson has not appeared in a single game and many may be thinking that this would be a great time to put him in a game. That may be true if you are literally just running out the clock at the end of the game, as Saban tends to do. But if Saban is trying to prepare Mac and Lia for Auburn, then Mac and Lia need to get every snap.
Yep, Lia is our backup QB now and he is one snap away from being our starter. Taking the long view, we still need him in a playoff run.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Anyone think Ishmael Sopsher will get playing time Saturday with the D-lineman being injured? I know he is raw but would love to see him get some playing time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone think Ishmael Sopsher will get playing time Saturday with the D-lineman being injured? I know he is raw but would love to see him get some playing time.
I think that anyone that Saban trusts at all will play on the d-line Saturday.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.