Link: Georgia edges past Alabama to No. 4 in AP poll

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wish the committee would only have a final poll. Let the AP and Coaches have their poll for the entire season. The CFPC should have a final poll released the Tuesday after the completion of all of the conference championship games. At that point they know who the conference champs are, they know how the top 6 teams have played, who has the best win, who has the best/worst loss and the entire SOS is available to the committee. No drama until the very end.
I also like this idea.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Alabama proudly displays its AP trophies along with all of the other trophies that you have been awarded since the BCS era began. Same with Ohio State and every other school. The AP national championship trophy still matters to every person competing to win it. Maybe not as much as the CFP trophy, but it still matters.

I didn't even know what the AP trophy looked like until I googled it just now. I know what the CFP trophy looks like and the crystal ball for the Coaches poll but, couldn't remember the AP trophy.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I was talking with a UGA fan yesterday and he was convinced that, by beating Auburn, all UGA had to do was beat aTm and UGA was guaranteed a playoff spot regardless of if they lost to LSU or not. I told him he was smoking crack if he thought a two loss UGA team was getting anywhere near the playoffs with so many 1-loss teams out there. 1-loss teams that didn’t lose at home to a 4-7 team.

We need some help to get into the playoff, but the last thing I am concerned about right now is where UGA is ranked. Either they lose to LSU and are eliminated, or they beat LSU and lock us out. Neither depends upon their ranking. I’d love nothing more than to “take” UGA’s playoff spot, whether we win anything or not. Tired of hearing smack talk about losing by 5 to LSU from a team that can’t beat a bad South Carolina team.
Yeah that UGA fan was wearing rose colored beer goggles and smoking whacky tobaccy. The only route to the Playoffs for UGA is to win out. Period.

FWIW, I'm liking the rat poison of everyone thinking LSU will crush Georgia in the SECCG.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah that UGA fan was wearing rose colored beer goggles and smoking whacky tobaccy. The only route to the Playoffs for UGA is to win out. Period.

FWIW, I'm liking the rat poison of everyone thinking LSU will crush Georgia in the SECCG.
yeah, i'm interested to see how that game plays out with all of the coach yaw-yaw hype. but y'all better stay focused on ga tech, could be a trap game

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Interesting stats related to the Playoff picture. Again, until the conference championships are played none of this really matters.

https://twitter.com/VerneFUNquist/s...ault#version=c963e629088e1d0dfa5e722c6465aa9c
That's now the second site I've seen that shows Bama with a better SOS rating than what I'm seeing on ESPN

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Not sure I understand what goes into this guy's stuff -- but it shows us much higher.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's now the second site I've seen that shows Bama with a better SOS rating than what I'm seeing on ESPN

Every one of these ratings formulas uses different criteria. None is better than another, IMO. The eye test tells us that Alabama's schedule has been pretty weak. But it also tells us that a lot of other highly ranked teams have faced even weaker competition. But the committee won't use a SoS metric like this - they will look at quality wins and losses. That is what they have done every year when deciding on the last teams in or out.

Win out and Alabama will have 2 quality wins with aTm and Auburn. Your loss will be to LSU. Assuming OSU and LSU take care of business, none of the other one loss teams trying to get into that 4th spot will have better.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Every one of these ratings formulas uses different criteria. None is better than another, IMO. The eye test tells us that Alabama's schedule has been pretty weak. But it also tells us that a lot of other highly ranked teams have faced even weaker competition. But the committee won't use a SoS metric like this - they will look at quality wins and losses. That is what they have done every year when deciding on the last teams in or out.

Win out and Alabama will have 2 quality wins with aTm and Auburn. Your loss will be to LSU. Assuming OSU and LSU take care of business, none of the other one loss teams trying to get into that 4th spot will have better.
Oregon/Utah will have a better win though. We really could have used Auburn beating Georgia.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oregon/Utah will have a better win though. We really could have used Auburn beating Georgia.
Nope - the winner of that game will have one quality win - that one, and with Auburn already having beaten Oregon, it won't be better.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Nope - the winner of that game will have one quality win - that one, and with Auburn already having beaten Oregon, it won't be better.
I agree that they will only have one quality win but my point is that win will be a "better" win. Oregon and Utah will be higher ranked teams than Auburn so it almost has to be considered a better win.

And the way things are going A&M is going to lose 2 more games unless they upset Georgia or LSU and then they won't be ranked and will have 5 losses. I agree they are still a better 2nd win than what Utah/Oregon would have but I'm not sure how much that moves the needle when we are playing one less game.

I'm not saying its impossible but we probably need things to get a little crazy at this point if we want to make the playoffs. Maybe style points would help if we absolutely demolish Auburn and Utah vs Oregon is close and sloppy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree that they will only have one quality win but my point is that win will be a "better" win. Oregon and Utah will be higher ranked teams than Auburn so it almost has to be considered a better win.
They are not stupid. They can connect dots. Auburn beat Oregon. Auburn is better than Oregon - no matter where they happen to be ranked. Oregon is only ranked higher because they have played NOBODY. The committee knows that.

If Alabama beats Auburn convincingly, you are in over Oregon. But if Utah beats Oregon convincingly, that could change, because Auburn barely beat them.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
They are not stupid. They can connect dots. Auburn beat Oregon. Auburn is better than Oregon - no matter where they happen to be ranked. Oregon is only ranked higher because they have played NOBODY. The committee knows that.

If Alabama beats Auburn convincingly, you are in over Oregon. But if Utah beats Oregon convincingly, that could change, because Auburn barely beat them.
If Utah beats Oregon

They have one "good" win over Oregon
One "bad" loss vs USCw

We'd have one not quite as "good" win over Auburn
One "good" loss vs LSU

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Not really liking our chances to get in the playoffs unless we absolutely pound Auburn for a couple of reasons. Obviously without Tua we do not appear to be as attractive to some as we would have been with him. I think we could actually drop in the poll later tonight for this very reason. Next is just beating the barn enough??they are a 3 loss team and honestly would not help the strength of schedule much at all if any.And these reasons bring me to the last point.We will not benefit from playing in a conference championship like some of these others and I know it did not hurt us a few years ago but it could be the final straw that keeps us out this year. Hope I am wrong and we get in but it's a uphill battle for sure.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

The thing that makes me mad is people continue to give Clemson credit for playing 2 SEC teams, yet Bama gets none for beating those same teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is the point. The winner of the playoff is going to receive it. The AP is never going to give the trophy to a team that didn’t make the playoffs.
The AP Trophy is respected across the sport by every program. Only fans don't seem to appreciate its history and tradition. You would think that Alabama fans would, but clearly many do not.

The AP trophy is as relevant as it always has been. The CFP is just another way of winning it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.