Would Tua consider returning for his senior season?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've read several mock draft articles that have Tua falling out of the first round. I have no idea what the thought process will be of Tua, his family, his agent and coach Saban regarding his decision. Mell Kiper said a lot of it will depend on whether he can attend the combine and/or private workouts and what teams internal thoughts are about his injuries. I don't think anyone, at this stage, knows what is the best thing for him to do. Not even Tua or the family. I know the knee jerk reaction is " Go pro, Go Pro, Go Pro". But we have absolutely no idea what the thoughts of the NFL organizations are now or will be come draft time. Especially if Tua is unable to attend the combine or do provate pro days.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've read several mock draft articles that have Tua falling out of the first round. I have no idea what the thought process will be of Tua, his family, his agent and coach Saban regarding his decision. Mell Kiper said a lot of it will depend on whether he can attend the combine and/or private workouts and what teams internal thoughts are about his injuries. I don't think anyone, at this stage, knows what is the best thing for him to do. Not even Tua or the family. I know the knee jerk reaction is " Go pro, Go Pro, Go Pro". But we have absolutely no idea what the thoughts of the NFL organizations are now or will be come draft time. Especially if Tua is unable to attend the combine or do provate pro days.
Kiper's brain cells got confused at birth and thought they were supposed to grow hair instead. He's frequently wildly off and he is here. Everyone has video on Tua and know what he can do. There will be many meetings with doctors, both Tua's and team doctors. I'll be surprised if he does the combine or private pro days, unless they're medical, to make sure he moves freely...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Kiper's brain cells got confused at birth and thought they were supposed to grow hair instead. He's frequently wildly off and he is here. Everyone has video on Tua and know what he can do. There will be many meetings with doctors, both Tua's and team doctors. I'll be surprised if he does the combine or private pro days, unless they're medical, to make sure he moves freely...
I would think if he's able to do private and/or combine workouts. His first round draft status is pretty secure. If he's not, then second round realistically comes into play.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I wonder if he would consider skipping the draft and staying at Alabama - but only to rehab while finishing his degree and preparing for the 2021 draft.
I thought I heard he should be ready by next fall season. Do you think Saban would let him be on the team for the scholarship and rehab, but not play when he is able?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I have no doubt his draft stock has been hurt (not such a bad thing with Miami and Cincy) but he needs to go ahead and go. Take the money now and come back for the degree later.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I thought I heard he should be ready by next fall season. Do you think Saban would let him be on the team for the scholarship and rehab, but not play when he is able?
Yes - Saban would do whatever helps Tua. If it becomes clear that there is too much lingering doubt about Tua's hip on draft day for him to go in the first round, Tua can simply decide to sit out his senior season and rehab. Assuming a full recovery is expected by him and his doctors, he would just need more time to demonstrate that recovery.

Also, there is the possibility that Tua could decide not to enter the 2020 draft (he is a Junior, so would have to file paperwork to become a part of that draft). If his hip is not ready to demonstrate his full recovery and that means a slip in the draft, he just waits. If he is ready a few months later, he could decide to petition for the 2020 supplemental draft (which is generally held in July, just before training camps begin). He would then almost certainly get a first round offer and not have to wait another year.

My point - Tua has a ton of options.

* Enter the 2020 draft and let the chips fall where they may
* Enter the 2020 supplementary draft
* Stay at Alabama and play his senior season
* Stay at Alabama and rehab for the 2021 draft

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Not going too early in the draft may actually be a benefit in the long-term. It will cost him some money initially, but it would likely land him with a better team, perhaps with a great QB he can learn from for a couple of years, and very likely extend his career.

It's a big jump from college to pro. Tua has the talent to be one of the all-time greats in the NFL. But he needs to learn to protect his body for that to happen. Otherwise, his NFL career will be a short one. A couple of years as an "understudy" to a really good QB might be a good thing.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Tua still has things to learn about being a quarterback, but he's given us everything he had short of his life. It's time for him to go get what he can from the NFL. I'm 53 years old and I was a little kid the last time a Bama QB was a regular starter in the NFL. No other significant programs in college football have suffered such a drought. I want it to end, give me a reason to watch Sunday football. It's been amazing, but until we rebuild our defensive prowess we aren't going to get where we want to go.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I wonder if he would consider skipping the draft and staying at Alabama - but only to rehab while finishing his degree and preparing for the 2021 draft.
This is my thinking. Not sure how the future will play out but it does not appear he will be able to do anything but rehab in 2020 and be ready for the 2021 NFL trials......ASSUMING he does have full successful surgery and recovery.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
NO! The best thing about this injury is that it drops Tua to the middle of the 1st round where a decent team drafts him, he spends 1-2 years learning the ropes and then can have a long and productive NFL career. If that happens he will become another Russell Wilson in terms of earnings...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Even if he were to fall to the second round, that's still a good paycheck. I just don't see what benefit it would be for him to come back and risk more injury at the college level. I'm not saying it's all about money but, when you have talent like he does, you have to cash that in before it's too late.

Plus, if he's not 100% healthy for the pros, why come back to college just to rehab? He can rehab with an NFL team just as much as he could with Bama.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Right now, we need to focus on Tua's recovery and make sure he has full functional of his hips before we can even discuss this.

If Tua does return, then that's great. It just mean Mac Jones will Transfer and Tauila/Bryan will fight for #2 spot. Young is real good, but I often wonder if he's ready to play in Alabama Offense because Saban value ball security a lot. Tua will take out million dollar insurance policy and That's okay.

If he doesn't return. We will be fine. But right now, let's focus on getting him healthy.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
I would think he is done at Alabama. I would hope that he has insurance because this is a serious injury. His past is filled with multiple surgeries as well as injuries. I honestly don't see any NFL team taking him before the 3rd round. We know he is an unbelievable talent at the QB position and maybe the best QB we have seen at Bama. But NFL GM's do this for a living and get paid to make the right decisions, to me this is a huge gamble on selecting him early in the draft with Tua's past. I hope he fully recovers, I just don't know. I just think NFL GM's will be awfully hesitant on selecting him early. Maybe a better team with an already established QB would select him knowing he has even more time to recover because their QB will be playing for several more years. Roll Tide Roll.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Right now, we need to focus on Tua's recovery and make sure he has full functional of his hips before we can even discuss this.
Why do we need to wait to discuss? None of us are on the medical or rehab team so, what we do, or discuss, has zero impact on his recovery.

I don't see any problem with fans on discussion boards discussing, speculating about his options. It's what we do about every subject that comes up on this board.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Guys, speaking from a non-medical opinion, frankly, Tua should consider retirement from the sport. I know that's ugly to say, and it's not meant with disrespect.

But, I put myself in his position. I'm dealing with a serious medical issue as well, and I don't want to quit on my dreams because of it. So, in my shoes, I don't want to quit. I bet he's in the same position.

So, assuming he keeps playing football, absolutely do not come back to the college game. Go for the NFL dream. He has the skills to make it. His durability is the only question. I'm pulling for Tua. He's the best to play the position for Alabama, and before his injury, I had a hunch he would get another shot at a title this year, knowing that we are playing with a loss, and that he won us one back in 17. Nothing but positive vibes for Tua, with an eyebrow raised for his future health as a person.

leroyBAMA

Dec 3, 2018
Out of selfishness on my part as a Bama fan I wish he would. But I don't see it happening. He has been a pleasure to watch and I wish him all the best not only with his football career but more importantly life. Tua is a class act.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Why do we need to wait to discuss? None of us are on the medical or rehab team so, what we do, or discuss, has zero impact on his recovery.

I don't see any problem with fans on discussion boards discussing, speculating about his options. It's what we do about every subject that comes up on this board.
What? That's not what I was saying. you took what I said and flipped it into something that was not said.

His injury is very serious and could be a career ending, and I want to see how his rehab goes before I can even speculate whether he can play again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.