Would Tua consider returning for his senior season?

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
If I was advising Tua, I would definitely not recommend returning for my senior year. With that said, I just don’t see him as a first or second round player in the upcoming draft. 1st and 2nd rounders are immediate impact players. Tua is not only going to be probably out for next year, but is injury prone as well.

I think his best option is a mid round pick to a team like the Chargers where he can rehab for a full year and then take over.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Joe Burrow looks like an NFL bust to me. People can say whatever they want, I’m still not buying it. He’s extremely accurate, but I’ve also seen where he makes plays with his feet that he won’t be able to do at the NFL level, and his arm strength isn’t elite. To me, he looks like Baker Mayfield with less arm. But I’m guessing very similar personality. Not a fan. Wouldn’t touch him
I have no idea how he will do in the NFL, but have you seen evidence of the bolded or do you just not like him?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I wonder if he would consider skipping the draft and staying at Alabama - but only to rehab while finishing his degree and preparing for the 2021 draft.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I wouldn't take him before Burrow if I was a GM right now but I'd risk Tua's injury history v. any other option as a pro prospect. He's going to be mid-to-late 1st rounder assuming he'll be available to play next Fall.
A friend who follows NFL closely, and watched the LSU-Bama game, said he would take Burrow before Tua.
If both are perfectly healthy, Tua is, I think, clearly better. Will Tua remain healthy in the NFL?
Tua had chances this year to show situational awareness and risk analysis to go along with his other skills (which are considerable). 3rd and 4, up 35-7 with 3:10 to play in the half, if the pass play is not there, throw it away, punt and live to play another down. It would be another story if Bama were down by 5 with 1:30 to play, but the Miss. State game was pretty well in hand, even if Bama does not pick up that 1st down.
Tua had an opportunity this year to show that he knows how to protect himself from unnecessary hits, something I'm sure factors into NFL GMs' calculations as to draftability, durability and salary.
I'm not blaming Tua for his injuries (most have been freak injuries), but the NFL is a business, and GMs make cold hard decisions all the time.
I think the perfect situation for Tua to go to would be New England. Brady is the Gold Standard in QB protecting himself, NE has a massive offensive line, and it would give Tua a chance to learn under one of the best QBs ever.
I do not watch NFL much any more and I'm not a NE fan. I just want to read about Tua having a long and successful NFL career because he has earned it.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
The decision will be up to Tua's dad, I assume. The family will consider all options as they wait on Tua's health, what the NFL thinks, Saban's input, etc. Also, I wonder how close Tua is to graduating? I am sure he wants to finish his degree while he is going through rehab.

Is Taulia coming back for sure next year if Tua does go to the NFL? I would think so, but it would not surprise me if the entire family moved from Birmingham to whichever city/team drafts Tua, to be close to him. That would likely mean Taulia leaves also. Like I mentioned, I really think the final decision is up to his dad based on what I have seen and read about their family, culture, faith, etc.

I guess the decision will be made in January after the bowl game and season is over? I don't think they would announce it any sooner. By that time, Bryce Young will be enrolled at UA, which is good news.
Maybe...…...….I don't see Tua's family leaving and Lia transferring to be close to him. If Lia makes it into the NFL, then he will probably be in another city altogether, and they would face a dilemma of where to be. I do think they would move once he graduated though......of course, that's just a speculation, but they don't strike me as the kind to up and leave once committed

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
A friend who follows NFL closely, and watched the LSU-Bama game, said he would take Burrow before Tua.
If both are perfectly healthy, Tua is, I think, clearly better. Will Tua remain healthy in the NFL?
Tua had chances this year to show situational awareness and risk analysis to go along with his other skills (which are considerable). 3rd and 4, up 35-7 with 3:10 to play in the half, if the pass play is not there, throw it away, punt and live to play another down. It would another story if Bama were down by 5 with 1:30 to play, but the Miss. State game was pretty well in hand, even if Bama does not pick up the 1st down.
Tua had an opportunity this year to show that he knows how to protect himself from unnecessary hits, something I'm sure factors into NFL GMs' calculations as to draftability, durability and salary.
I'm not blaming Tua for his injuries (most have been freak injuries), but the NFL is a business, and GMs make cold hard decisions all the time.
I think the perfect situation for Tua to go to would be New England. Brady is the Gold Standard in QB protecting himself, NE has a massive offensive line, and it would give Tua a chance to learn under one of the best QBs ever.
I do not watch NFL much any more and I'm not a NE fan. I just want to read about Tua having a long and successful NFL career because he has earned it.
I though the same. An established NFL team with a good older QB that can mentor Tua.

Someone said it and I want to repeat it:
Could Tua sit out a year for rehab and train and go in 2021? He could “redshirt” and still use the facilities and have our staff supervise his rehabilitation and training. Just wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I though the same. An established NFL team with a good older QB that can mentor Tua.

Someone said it and I want to repeat it:
Could Tua sit out a year for rehab and train and go in 2021? He could “redshirt” and still use the facilities and have our staff supervise his rehabilitation and training. Just wondering...
Yes - he has 1 year of eligibility remaining, and could actually stay 2 more years.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
What is crazy to me is Tua is probably the best quarterback to have played at Alabama, and he has played for 3 years. However he will only be credited with 1 championship. AJ McCarron was a very good quarterback but not on Tua's level. However he will have 3 championship rings and 2 of them as a starter. What a bizzare turn of events to make that happen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What is crazy to me is Tua is probably the best quarterback to have played at Alabama, and he has played for 3 years. However he will only be credited with 1 championship. AJ McCarron was a very good quarterback but not on Tua's level. However he will have 3 championship rings and 2 of them as a starter. What a bizzare turn of events to make that happen.
As much credit as we tend to give QBs for wins and losses, football really is a team sport.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before anyone freaks out, I have no inside information; I'm simply curious what the Bama Brain Trust thinks now that it appears that Tua has a fantastic chance at a full recovery and playing football at a high level again someday soon.

Obviously, Tua's draft stock will be significantly comprised by this injury, as he certainly won't be ready to do anything to show scouts by the combine and draft. Granted, NFL execs have plenty of tape on him, but without being able to see him play post-injury, he'd likely go no higher than the 2nd Round, which will cost him millions (though he might wind up with a better team, which is worth something).

Thus, my question: Is there a chance that he might be advised to rehab, get stronger, and return for his senior season in the hopes of making it through a full slate of games uninjured and thereby play his way back into being a Top 3 pick?

As a Bama fan, I'd welcome that decision and the chance to see him sling it around the yard for 15 more games.

Thoughts?
If Taulia transfers, which I don't anticipate... :)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I wonder if he would consider skipping the draft and staying at Alabama - but only to rehab while finishing his degree and preparing for the 2021 draft.
This is looking like a very viable option! Granted, no injury /rehab is without complications. But the young man has demonstrated a remarkable ability to heal! Or the Bama medical/training staff have mastered Reiki!

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I don't like to speculate. In his place I'd see how my hip repair went and try to get well to play pro ball when I'm completely healed. Even if that means retiring from college competition and taking a class while using the school and facilities to recover if that was my only option, or work on rehab with a personnel trainer.

He has little to gain by returning to play football at Alabama just to get chased down by huge fast d'linemen with no penalty for hitting the QB as hard as they can.

I hope he heals completely. No lingering effects that could hamper his mobility. I'll always think, wow what may have been with him healthy and our receivers, but I'm gonna move on as far as the team goes.

RollTide:BigA:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Tua had chances this year to show situational awareness and risk analysis to go along with his other skills (which are considerable). 3rd and 4, up 35-7 with 3:10 to play in the half, if the pass play is not there, throw it away, punt and live to play another down. It would another story if Bama were down by 5 with 1:30 to play, but the Miss. State game was pretty well in hand, even if Bama does not pick up the 1st down.
If the only thing calculated is throwing ability, there is no way Burrow is better than Tua. But as you point out, it's about a lot more than that. Now, Burrow doesn't shy away from contact, and perhaps he's just been lucky his college career where Tua has not. But rest assured, if injuries are to be had, the NFL will expose that in a hurry. If Tua transitions to a Tom Brady style QB, he would be unstoppable. It's cool to see what a guy like Lamar Jackson is doing right now, but that is not necessary to be successful in the NFL, and I'm not sold it is a recipe for longevity either.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hasn’t the T-family really integrated into Tuscaloosa culture? Meaning, don’t they love T-Town and the Capstone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not the point. Tua would be a roadblock in the way of Taulia's career, with Young breathing down his back. I can't see the pater familias going along with that...

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
I hope Tua declares for the Draft and has an amazing career.He is a Bama legend and the best QB I have seen in Crimson.As for next season,Mac has a huge leg up on the competition getting these last few starts.Lia,Tyson and Young will be breathing down his neck but I expect at least one to transfer.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.