Poll: Should the CFP expand?

Should the CFP expand beyond four teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I've always thought they should expand it. Still do. I like 6 but could probably get behind 8. However, some other changes probably need to be made in conjunction with expansion.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have said from the beginning that it should be 6 teams. It is the only way to make every game matter, as the #1 and #2 teams would get a bye in the playoffs.

Expand to 8 teams and the regular season games become even more meaningless.
Thanks, B1G, saved me some typing. This is not ideal but much better than going to 8 which is ridiculous.

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Good lowered!!
You've been reading/listening to too many people who make their living from controversy.
1. Watch the teams play.
2. Pick 2 or more teams outside of the top 4 that look like better teams than the top 4.

You'll have your answer.
I don't think that means what you think it means.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Keep it at 4. I find it very hard to point to a number of years where more than 4 teams were realistically championship caliber. Anything beyond 4 dilutes the playoff and reduces how meaningful regular season games are.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Big IF --

IF you go to a 10 Game Season, plus a bye week - ALL P5 VS P5 -- then a conference championship game.....(during week 12)

THEN go to a 16 Team Bracket, I'd like that. (Week 13 - Round one, Week 14 - Round two) -- then do the Semis and Finals in January.

That way the kids keep their school schedules the same.... and they get a break before The Final Four

That means the championship game would be game #15..... just like now

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
24 teams. As long as we're playing basketball on grass, might as well have a basketball type playoff.

Seriously, I'd like to see it expanded to 6 with the top 2 getting a buy the first week. That allows for a little wiggle room to get 4 SEC teams in the playoffs each year.

OK, maybe not 4 SEC teams. But it does provide an option for a couple of teams who are close and have a legit argument for being included.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Any vote for expansion would mean teams might benefit by eliminating conference championship games. There should be no automatic conference qualifiers.
D1 games should be a determination factor.

I know many teams keep afloat by playing D1 teams. BUT...
Only D1 teams played should count if you increase the number of playoff teams.

I'd like to see any increase tied to beating only D1 teams.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
I'm good with 6, giving #1 and #2 a bye and doing the first round on campus at the higher seeded team's home field.
this is what I think should happen when they expand (you know they will eventually). Each year there is always the argument that team #5 and sometimes 6 could belong in the top 4, but rarely do you hear about team 7 & 8 belonging. No automatic bids to conference champs though and can the committee.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Yes. 8 teams with power 5 conference winners getting at large bid and 3 wild cards. Notre Dame does not get any special treatment and the first round is played on the campuses of the top 4 teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm a little disappointed to see people voting for an expansion of the playoff that absolutely did not make that pitch when the playoff was originally being discussed.

A big part of my argument against the playoff in the first place was that it was going to keep expanding and include undeserving teams. I see some people are like full speed ahead! Who cares about the regular season, right?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.