Poll: Should the CFP expand?

Should the CFP expand beyond four teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes. 8 teams with power 5 conference winners getting at large bid and 3 wild cards. Notre Dame does not get any special treatment and the first round is played on the campuses of the top 4 teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm telling you, I can't wait until we have to go play in Boise in December......

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I can't understand why people are so in favor of automatically including conference champions....? Why would anyone want any automatic bids? All conferences are not equal in strength.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A reminder of reality:

1) Every single CFP poll EXCEPT the last one is meaningless; you can wipe with them.

2) The committee can do whatever it wants.

3) The logic behind the committee - in reality - was to ensure a Boise St or UCF doesn't get in based on playing nothing but creampuffs
(while I realize Clemson's schedule is atrocious, it's not their fault their big conference is going through a horrid time).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Heh, at least I'm clear on my position.
This board has done a great job of discussing the pros and cons of CFP expansion over the last few years, and yours is one of the best voices in that conversations. I appreciate your passion. I don't always agree with you, but I love reading your point of view, because it is always pretty well considered.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This board has done a great job of discussing the pros and cons of CFP expansion over the last few years, and yours is one of the best voices in that conversations. I appreciate your passion. I don't always agree with you, but I love reading your point of view, because it is always pretty well considered.
Nah, he's just trying to be a jerk....

Actually, he helped change my view from something radical to something more moderate........so I'll always appreciate krazy for that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm a little disappointed to see people voting for an expansion of the playoff that absolutely did not make that pitch when the playoff was originally being discussed.

A big part of my argument against the playoff in the first place was that it was going to keep expanding and include undeserving teams. I see some people are like full speed ahead! Who cares about the regular season, right?
Here's the thing. If this is about entertainment and the "spectacle" of it all.... then make it about the event. Throw deserving out the window.

Teams after the top 16-24 don't deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament. But -- the first two days of the tournament are amazing.....

So -- if it's going to be about entertainment, and thus entertainment value -- then go "all in" --

Can you imagine the first week of December and having 8 games featuring the 16 playoff teams? 1 vs 16, 2 v 15, 3 v 14, etc.

It would get phenomenal ratings.....and I have no doubt, would be a joy to watch.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
If we beat Auburn and are left out of the playoff, which at this point is a very likely scenario, then it will be interesting to see if people's perspective changes on expansion since we have never been in the position of being on the outside looking in. I'm confident my view won't change in that 4 is the right number. I still firmly believe that the point of the playoffs was to eliminate the debate of 2 v 3. If we are debating 4 v 5, and feel like the top 3 got in without question, then I'm perfectly fine with that.

Right now, the top 3 are LSU, Ohio St., and Clemson and I don't think there is much debate on that. This could all look very different in three weeks though.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It would get phenomenal ratings.....and I have no doubt, would be a joy to watch.
The real question is if you want the regular season to matter. Regular season college football games can still get monster ratings.

To give an example, the LSU vs. Alabama game peaked at 20 million viewers. It had a 9.7 rating.

I just randomly looked up a World Series game. Game 4 had a 5.9 rating with an average of 9.4 million viewers. A regular season SEC game was much bigger than the a World Series game...

So even if you just cynically look at this as a spectacle, no more, no less, you have to take into account the ramifications of what this could do to the regular season. I think they're using a tag line of "best regular season in sports" and I think that's true. No, not the best playoff though... There are other issues, but that's a critical one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The real question is if you want the regular season to matter. Regular season college football games can still get monster ratings.
I agree, but my stance is that a 6 team CFP would actually make every game even more important because you don't want to just make the pool - you want to make the top 2. The top 2 teams only play 2 playoff games. The rest of the field has to play 3. HUGE advantage for the top 2 teams, and something that would make even more games meaningful than the field of 4.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm a little disappointed to see people voting for an expansion of the playoff that absolutely did not make that pitch when the playoff was originally being discussed.

A big part of my argument against the playoff in the first place was that it was going to keep expanding and include undeserving teams. I see some people are like full speed ahead! Who cares about the regular season, right?
Well they've destroyed much of what I held sacred about college football already, so I've just decided to yield to the masses. Eventually, I'll stop watching altogether, but for now I'm trying to hang in there.

I've thought a lot over the weekend, after Tua's injury, about how I wouldn't mind seeing the college game adopt the NFL ruleset and mindset of protecting the QB and other "defenseless" players at all costs. I'm not saying it would have prevented this particular injury to Tua. But it appears to me the NFL's rules go farther in an attempt to bring about player safety than the college game does.

That's a tangent, I realize. I'm just saying my whole mindset about the game has changed dramatically over the last 5 years. They've taken away a lot of the great rivalries. They've saturated the bowl game schedule. Things just aren't as sacred. So what the hell is there negative about an expanded playoff, that makes losing one single game to a division opponent less of a death knell? I've ranted enough. I'll hang up and listen now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only issue I have with the playoffs is that the #1 seed is more of a death sentence than a reward. If they can fix that one aspect of it then I would be happy. A 6 team playoff instantly fixes it but there are tweaks that a 4 team playoff that could fix it.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm not convinced 6 is better. Some years it would definitely be but in some years it would be a waste. One issue I see is that they still have the scholarships set at 85. I believe it's been at that since the 70's I think. You know, when starting offensive linemen were around 250lbs and linebackers were around 190lbs, and there was no conference championships or playoffs.... The issues Alabama has endured scream for the need for at least another 10 scholarship players. And if they are going to allow players to make money they need to roll back these practice time restrictions. The coaches don't have time to develop talent any more. If they are going to get paid then make them earn it.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
Well they've destroyed much of what I held sacred about college football already, so I've just decided to yield to the masses. Eventually, I'll stop watching altogether, but for now I'm trying to hang in there.

I've thought a lot over the weekend, after Tua's injury, about how I wouldn't mind seeing the college game adopt the NFL ruleset and mindset of protecting the QB and other "defenseless" players at all costs. I'm not saying it would have prevented this particular injury to Tua. But it appears to me the NFL's rules go farther in an attempt to bring about player safety than the college game does.

That's a tangent, I realize. I'm just saying my whole mindset about the game has changed dramatically over the last 5 years. They've taken away a lot of the great rivalries. They've saturated the bowl game schedule. Things just aren't as sacred. So what the hell is there negative about an expanded playoff, that makes losing one single game to a division opponent less of a death knell? I've ranted enough. I'll hang up and listen now.

^This.

Eight teams but no automatic qualifiers. The world is not – and never will be – perfectly round; so inequities will sometimes occur.

But three unbeatens and five one-loss teams (all Power 5) would make for a great 8-team playoff. I agree with TideEngineer; there's nothing negative about an 8-team playoff, especially when it features multiple one-loss Power 5 teams – including one whose loss came at the hands of the No. 1 team in the land.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Totally agree that the 85 scholly limit is dated and needs to be addressed. It harms everyone - players and schools.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I think truth be told, if college football adopted the NFL rules then I think there would be far less complaining on this board. Think about it, rules generally favor the defense and targeting isn’t an automatic ejection unless it is clearly obvious that it is intentional. Also the game is far faster and doesn’t give the offense the chance to play 10 yard football.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have said from the beginning that it should be 6 teams. It is the only way to make every game matter, as the #1 and #2 teams would get a bye in the playoffs.

Expand to 8 teams and the regular season games become even more meaningless.
This. It would solve the "conference champ getting left out" and the "UCF deserves a shot" arguments.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.