Poll: Should the CFP expand?

Should the CFP expand beyond four teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I've been a very outspoken proponent of reducing the premier FBS division for many years now, but even if you pare it down to the top 50 or so teams it's still far too many for anything other than subjective ratings. Which I'm fine with. I don't care how well East Popcorn State plays this year, if they didn't play a tough enough schedule to make the claim of being the best, they're out.

East Popcorn State has a really good defense though!
Haha! I love that! I'm going to put that in "Turquoise" for funny! East Popcorn State! Go Kernels!

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Absolutely not.

The IDEAL - to me - is the four-team BCS.

Computers and humans offset each other.
Eye test comes into account.
Rankings actually MEAN something every single week.

I also have zero problem going back to the old bowl system and matching up 1 vs 2 AT THE END of the bowl games.
I agree 4 is best

I can go for 6 if the regular season is reduced by one game

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think an 8 team playoff is the answer. Include the AAC making 6 conf. champions and add two at-large teams. Then cede them. The CCG's then become part of the playoff bracket. Higher codes get first game at home.

Still can't understand people wanting automatic bids rather than simply the X best teams. Makes zero sense to me.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Example (NOT REAL!!!):
11-1 OU
11-1 Baylor conference champ.
10-2 Clemson conf. champ.

You cool with Clemson getting the nod over OU?

I think an 8 team playoff is the answer. Include the AAC making 6 conf. champions and add two at-large teams. Then cede them. The CCG's then become part of the playoff bracket. Higher codes get first game at home.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Still can't understand people wanting automatic bids rather than simply the X best teams. Makes zero sense to me.
Conference Championships became mostly irrelevant once the playoffs began. I am totally fine with not winning the SEC, if I get in the tournament and win it all.....

I agree.... the best teams get in..... if 3 of the top 8 are from the SEC West, or the B1G Legends, or the ACC Atlantic, or the PAC12 Not On the Coast Division, so be it.....

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Yes I'm cool with that scenario assuming OU would be considered for an at-large birth. I'd feel the same way about an SEC or Big 10 or any other non-conf. winner as long as their resume was strong enough for at-large consideration. Obviously, there would need to be specific metrics for at-large consideration...SOS, etc.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Conference Championships became mostly irrelevant once the playoffs began.

Actually, they never had much value in the first place other than, "If we win we get to go to X bowl game."

2001 Nebraska and 2003 OU didn't win their conference but played for the title in the BCS era.

And none of the Indy schools (N Dame, Miami) ever won one back in the day, either.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I am concerned about the across the board viability of college football. The dominance of the SEC, while laudable, is not a healthy situation overall. I'm particularly concerned for the PAC 12, a storied conf. with an incredible across the board athletic resume. An 8 team playoff balances the platform. Then, if the SEC representative(s) prevail, there is no second guessing about who is best. I'm speaking herein as a college football fan, not as a SOONER.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I'm hesitant to expand the number, but I don't think it will devalue the regular season with the Top 6 teams. No more than 6, stop it there.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
With 4, the regular season matters.

With more, the regular season gets watered down..................WAY down.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
With 4, the regular season matters.
With more, the regular season gets watered down..................WAY down.
In most years, teams will not be voted into the Top 6 with more than 1 loss, therefore I think it's hard to make a claim that the regular season would be devalued. When you move to the 7 or 8 spot there will have good teams with 2 losses, which is why I wouldn't expand it beyond 6.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In most years, teams will not be voted into the Top 6 with more than 1 loss, therefore I think it's hard to make a claim that the regular season would be devalued. When you move to the 7 or 8 spot there will have good teams with 2 losses, which is why I wouldn't expand it beyond 6.
But again -- if one year that A&M loses 2 games -- to Bama and LSU. And Bama is undefeated and LSU has just one loss (to Bama) -- can't A&M be considered 3rd through 8th best, and have a legit claim?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm wondering if Tua's injury will drop us this evening the eyes of the judges? Since we are talking about a committee vote and sticking with the way it is.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
According to an article I read somewhere on TF, Barrett Jones says that the committee is not allowed to judge us on possible future results, only on present accomplishments. TIFWIW..
I'm wondering if Tua's injury will drop us this evening the eyes of the judges? Since we are talking about a committee vote and sticking with the way it is.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
According to an article I read somewhere on TF, Barrett Jones says that the committee is not allowed to judge us on possible future results, only on present accomplishments. TIFWIW..

But one could argue we were only #5 based on having Tua. Would still be based on future results, but I could see them dropping Bama to #7, behind Oregon and Utah. If...LSU beats Georgia and Oregon doesn't lose, even if Bama beats Auburn, I still think Oregon gets #4.....then gets obliterated by LSU or Ohio State, whoever is #1.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I remember a barely ranked Georgia Tech team getting into a BCS bowl because they won in a horrible ACC field. Heck, just look at the ACC this year, if not for Clemson the whole thing is a dumpster fire. Let's not even get into that time the mighty Uconn won their conference and went to a BCS bowl.

Conference champions should have never been allowed as criteria in the first place, it's nonsense. Just for starters, are we really going to say that winning a conference with 10 teams is as important as winning one with 14 teams? Does that actually make sense? That aside, all conferences simply are not equal. You can be second in your division and still be the second best regular season team in football. How you performed the entire season is what should matter, not how you performed in some games. Conference championships are arbitrary.

Last edited:

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I dont see how the regular season gets watered down with an 8 team playoff. Seems to me that if a conf. championship is the ticket to the playoff it makes the season more competitive.
Can't base it on conference championships though....what happens if the 3+ loss Coastal team beats Clemson in the ACCCG? Does that team make it? What happens if Georgia loses to A&M then beats LSU?

An upset in the ACCCG just skips Clemson out of the playoff and leaves the ACC with no representative.

I can go with a 6 team playoff, where 1 and 2 get byes.....rewarding those two teams and pushing teams to shoot for 1 or 2. I could also go with a 4 team playoff with strictly the old BCS rankings used....heck, do the 6 team with the BCS rankings.

Should be interesting, I bet there's another upset on the horizon that mixes everything up more.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
But one could argue we were only #5 based on having Tua. Would still be based on future results, but I could see them dropping Bama to #7, behind Oregon and Utah. If...LSU beats Georgia and Oregon doesn't lose, even if Bama beats Auburn, I still think Oregon gets #4.....then gets obliterated by LSU or Ohio State, whoever is #1.
Lol, not a shot at you, Cruloc, but I’ve seen Oregon 3-4 times this season. I don’t care if our QB is Mack Jones or Grandpa Jones — eye test says Bama is a better team that the Ducks. Herbert is very overrated. An NFL team will make a mistake by drafting him early and starting him quickly, in my opinion. I just think if we beat Auburn, AT AU, we trump Oregon, since they lost to them, PAC-12 title or not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.