Poll: Should the CFP expand?

Should the CFP expand beyond four teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
Just my opinion, but no. 4 teams is enough. Assuming things work out this year and Bama wins out to finish at #4, does anyone think Oregon, Utah, or Minnesota is good enough to win it all? And if Bama loses to Awbren they don't have any claim to be in the CFP anyway. There are tons of scenarios but none in which #5 or #6 is likely to win out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just my opinion, but no. 4 teams is enough. Assuming things work out this year and Bama wins out to finish at #4, does anyone think Oregon, Utah, or Minnesota is good enough to win it all? And if Bama loses to Awbren they don't have any claim to be in the CFP anyway. There are tons of scenarios but none in which #5 or #6 is likely to win out.
Maybe this year, but I would argue that Ohio State could have beat any team on a given day either year that we were left out of the CFP.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I've said it before and I'll lobby again for it:

: 5 Conference winners VS 3 at large (highest ranked teams who did not win their conference)
: Seeding based on rank (1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 ... reseed next round based on same pre-playoff rankings)
: Eliminate conference divisions but keep Conference Championship games.
: Conference championship games are between two highest ranked teams.
: Disallow FCS games.
: Play one less regular season game. Remove one G5 game.
: Each SEC team must play 9 SEC team schedule.

Feel free to express your displeasure :biggrin:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's go back.......

Alabama loses a heartbreaker to LSU despite outplaying the Tiggahs in most areas of the game.

I need Boise St to lose, so I watch TCU upend them in a great game.
I need Stanford to lose, so I watch them play Oregon and get smoked.
I REALLY need Okie State to lose, so I come home from work on Friday night and follow on TF while at On the Border.
I come home and stay up late to see Iowa State pull off a stunner.
The next day, I watch Baylor beat Oklahoma, which I also need.
I need LSU to beat Arkansas and win out, so I watch that game, too.
And I really do need LSU to upend UGA, so I watch that one.
And I need OU to knock off Okie St as well - and I watch them throw the damn ballgame (and you're not gonna convince me otherwise; it was a little too convenient).

Because of the BCS, I - the Alabama fan who doesn't watch a lot of the other games - watch seven more games than normal because it matters to my team.

And ALL of those teams that lose leave with utter dejection, it's all or nothing.

Alabama loses a heartbreaker to Johnny Butt Wipe and again we need help.
So I actually consider driving down to Waco to see Baylor and K State. I don't, but I watch it.
Concurrently (that means "at the same time" for those Auburn grads reading) - I watch Oregon lose, too.

BECAUSE of that, I'm willing to fork over $100 and drive 600 miles to see the 49-0 Alabama blowout over Auburn in person.

Fast forward to 2017.
We lose to Auburn.

I have a rooting interest but literally no reason to watch any game EXCEPT Ohio State-Wisky, which I do.
The other games MIGHT improve my team's chances but if Auburn beats UGA then Auburn simply goes in place of UGA.
If OU wins, they go, period.

But since Wisky is unbeaten, my team needs help.

In the first year, I watch seven additional games.
In the second year, I watch two more AND watch fewer because it compels me to GO to a game that matters.

That's the BCS.

What happens now?
I tune in to the ONE GAME that actually makes a difference.

If Clemson had lost to Pitt or Syracuse in 2011, it would have devastated the entire fan base because it meant everything.
Those losses? "Eh, how far we gonna fall? Oh, we're still in the hunt? Fine."

I don't think the playoff is perfect because the only perfect system would be impossible - a round-robin of all however many teams we have now.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
There is no perfect playoff formula but I do like eight teams. Of the power 5 conferences, the winner of their respected conferences with at least 11 wins get an automatic berth. The remaining teams can be decided by a committee or a computer formula. Only 8 teams out of 130 could make the playoff so the regular season still matters.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think it should be expanded to 5 teams immediately. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it should be expanded to 6 or 7.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
So I'm waiting for this to happen with "the committee"!

They say "common opponents" matter, but if we beat Auburn by 10 + points and then Oregon smokes Utah we will see how much they matter. I say they will move on from "common opponents matter" and move Oregon into the picture.

The committee has a habit of saying, " Yes we said that "X" matters, but "Y" also matters and in this situation that is why this happened"!

Watch!

They will say something like, "Alabama's offense simply doesn't look as good as Oregon's explosiveness at this point in the season"!

Mullen said on audio last night, "Alabama had a convincing win at the end of the day ..... I understand that Tua went out at the end of the 2nd quarter so that didn't affect them "THIS WEEK""! That is a clear and loaded statement!

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You're right..the math does not work and neither did the "smiley face". And a GREAT comeback by Selma.
Nothing personal; in fact, it wasn't even directed at you so much as the board in general.

Costanza is almost like the god of Tidefans - he's omnipresent.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So I'm waiting for this to happen with "the committee"!
Just win and let the chips fall where they may. Life is more enjoyable when you remove the doubt and worry and just focus on the stuff within your control.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.