Poll: Should the CFP expand?

Should the CFP expand beyond four teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Should the College Football Playoffs Expand the field? If so, how many teams?

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
Good lowered!!
You've been reading/listening to too many people who make their living from controversy.
1. Watch the teams play.
2. Pick 2 or more teams outside of the top 4 that look like better teams than the top 4.

You'll have your answer.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Good lowered!!
You've been reading/listening to too many people who make their living from controversy.
1. Watch the teams play.
2. Pick 2 or more teams outside of the top 4 that look like better teams than the top 4.

You'll have your answer.
Been here for almost 18 years ...... I'm known to "stir the pot" every once and a while!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have said from the beginning that it should be 6 teams. It is the only way to make every game matter, as the #1 and #2 teams would get a bye in the playoffs.

Expand to 8 teams and the regular season games become even more meaningless.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I voted to keep it at four, for now of course. But, if its expanded beyond 8 teams then you allow people to win their conference and the "weak schedule" argument is done because you just play who you are scheduled to play. Win or lose!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I voted to keep it at four, for now of course. But, if its expanded beyond 8 teams then you allow people to win their conference and the "weak schedule" argument is done because you just play who you are scheduled to play. Win or lose!
I would not be in favor of any playoff with automatic qualifiers. Winning your conference is meaningless in determining who the best teams in the country are.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I voted for an 8 team playoff. This may encourage more of the bigger name schools to play during the regular season. Of course I would also like the conferences to balance out a little so there would be a true strength of schedule. I just see too much about weak conferences getting a pass to be in the playoffs like the ACC this year. I don't necessarily like "parity' like the NFL but I do like the way they set it up with the winning teams playing the toughest schedule the next year.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I would not be in favor of any playoff with automatic qualifiers. Winning your conference is meaningless in determining who the best teams in the country are.
IDK. I'm getting tired of the committee. Leave it on the field and you won't have the "media bias" in picking the 4 best.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Whatever they decide to do with expansion, it absolutely CANNOT have automatic qualifiers for conference champions. That would render every single OOC game completely meaningless.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Absolutely not.

The IDEAL - to me - is the four-team BCS.

Computers and humans offset each other.
Eye test comes into account.
Rankings actually MEAN something every single week.

I also have zero problem going back to the old bowl system and matching up 1 vs 2 AT THE END of the bowl games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Whatever they decide to do with expansion, it absolutely CANNOT have automatic qualifiers for conference champions. That would render every single OOC game completely meaningless.
I don't think anyone has thought this one through, but I see you have.

Get ready for "but Michigan beat Alabama in September, and Alabama made the playoff but Michigan didn't!!!"

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I don't think anyone has thought this one through, but I see you have.

Get ready for "but Michigan beat Alabama in September, and Alabama made the playoff but Michigan didn't!!!"
Not likely to happen but it could...how about a 7-5 Pittsburg (2018 ACC Championship game) gets lucky and beats Clemson. Should they get in as a conference champ?

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I voted for yes, expand to six teams. The top two teams get a bye. But I want to see the six best teams in the playoffs - no automatic qualifiers. That would eliminate a 3 loss conference champion from getting in. If you have 3 losses, you shouldn't even be sniffing the playoffs.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Well, the issue there would be when a top 4 undefeated or one loss team gets upset in their conference championship by a 2 or 3 loss team.....say Virginia beat Clemson this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.