Poll: Should the CFP expand?

Should the CFP expand beyond four teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've got mixed emotions about this, and go back and forth. There are sound arguments for leaving it at four or bumping it to six.

It seems like when we might not make the top four, six sounds pretty good. But then when we are really cooking, who needs more than four?

I'm kind of glad it's not up to me. :smile:

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
I like eight. Five Power Five Conference Champs--Two at large, and the highest rated Group of Five team(Only if they have one loss or less. If there are none then it becomes another at large berth).

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If I could start over from a blank slate I would get rid of all bowl games and play a 16 team tournament, with the higher seeds hosting the lower. The national championship game would be at a neutral site. Sound familiar?

rtr

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'll go minority in this thread. College ball has always been unique with the polls and bowl games and the like. The game is changing with better athletes, offensive oriented style of play...soon be paying players. Seems the only truly fair system is a real playoff and take away the human element of "rankings" as much as possible. Reward the teams who improve throughout the course of the year and give them a chance to compete in an NFL style playoff system. Just my take and sure it would never happen.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
I think 6 would be ok but not 8.
My two cents is really worth about two cents or less, but I think six, with the advantage of being in the top two a week off while the other four play. I don't know that I want any mandatory "conference champions must make it" rule. I don't want "well, number six HAS to be a group of five team" rule either. Just the six best teams. And an agreement that it won't expand. Opening it up farther is going to water it down. RARELY EVER does the number 8 team have a legitimate argument about a championship. I could probably say that about number six too, though.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well, the issue there would be when a top 4 undefeated or one loss team gets upset in their conference championship by a 2 or 3 loss team.....say Virginia beat Clemson this year.
Then don't lose your conference championship.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
I like eight. Five Power Five Conference Champs--Two at large, and the highest rated Group of Five team(Only if they have one loss or less. If there are none then it becomes another at large berth).
No offense whatsoever, but why do we have to feel obligated to put in a group of five team at all? I'm for anyone getting in who deserves it. If a GO5 program is there and deserves it more than anyone else, then fine. But not just because they're a GO5. No more special treatment; done that for decades for Notre Dame.

Last edited:

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
The purpose of the National Championship should be based on who was the best team for the year. By end of year it is usually between 2 and occasionally a 3rd team who has a solid argument to be considered the best, so the final few settle on the field. Currently only LSU and Ohio State have solid arguments to be crowned national champion, Clemson has a weaker argument, and that is it.

It seems like we debate who is the 3rd or 4th best team, then start talking of expanding, which seems to put the whole reason for the current play off system on its head.

If it is just to find the hot team in December and January, then go with 16, 32 teams, whatever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Then don't lose your conference championship.
It not that a team that loses to a 4 loss team gets left out - no one feels sorry for them - it is that the 4 loss conference "champion" gets in.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I find this worth discussing because of the new initiative to pay athletes with the use of their likeness. I think we are about to see a huge talent gap between the " Haves and Have-nots". To me this will eventually lead to the Super Division and more realignment. With that will come a playoff system based on Conference Champions. I see it sort of divided into divisions like the NFL.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Literally there are only 3 teams with a legitimate claim this year. There is no reason for the play offs to expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No way around that with 132 teams.
Which brings up the next topic, creating a new division or sending half of FBS back down to the FCS level. I would actually be for the creation of a new division, with its own playoff/bowl system. I'm thinking Sun Belt, C-USA, Mountain West, American, and MAC would make up this new division. Army and BYU could join them.

Literally there are only 3 teams with a legitimate claim this year. There is no reason for the play offs to expand.

See I disagree. I believe Alabama currently has a claim. As do a few others. LSU's defense is dreadful. Ohio State still really hasn't played anyone (that changes this weekend) though they have looked most impressive. Clemson, of course, has yet to play anyone with a pulse, but we know what their talent level is. Alabama has had its issues as well, but has only one loss by 5 to the #1 team (currently) with Tua being injured and fighting off rust for a half. Frankly, Georgia still has a claim. They had a crappy game against South Carolina. Out of a 100 games that was the only one they would lose. Literally, they would win the next 99 games against that team. I can't stand Georgia one bit, but if they win out, they deserve to be in and would give any of the other teams a good game.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think IF expansion “had” to happen then 6 would be the max. I’ve always liked the idea of rewarding the top 2 teams with a bye and throwing a bone to the fans and schools to have an on campus game. Any gripes from the 5-6 seed would be brushed off with great ease. They should be lucky they got included by the new expanded format [emoji16].

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Which brings up the next topic, creating a new division or sending half of FBS back down to the FCS level. I would actually be for the creation of a new division, with its own playoff/bowl system. I'm thinking Sun Belt, C-USA, Mountain West, American, and MAC would make up this new division. Army and BYU could join them.

See I disagree. I believe Alabama currently has a claim. As do a few others. LSU's defense is dreadful. Ohio State still really hasn't played anyone (that changes this weekend) though they have looked most impressive. Clemson, of course, has yet to play anyone with a pulse, but we know what their talent level is. Alabama has had its issues as well, but has only one loss by 5 to the #1 team (currently) with Tua being injured and fighting off rust for a half. Frankly, Georgia still has a claim. They had a crappy game against South Carolina. Out of a 100 games that was the only one they would lose. Literally, they would win the next 99 games against that team. I can't stand Georgia one bit, but if they win out, they deserve to be in and would give any of the other teams a good game.
Agreed. I believe that a new tier will be created with the new "paying" of student athletes, whether we like it or not.

The "pure system" that everyone talks about died with realignment of the 90s and the SEC Championship game of that decade.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've been a very outspoken proponent of reducing the premier FBS division for many years now, but even if you pare it down to the top 50 or so teams it's still far too many for anything other than subjective ratings. Which I'm fine with. I don't care how well East Popcorn State plays this year, if they didn't play a tough enough schedule to make the claim of being the best, they're out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.