What QB do you choose for your all decade team?

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
I have lived through a vast range of Alabama QB's in my short 43 years...from Walter Lewis to Tua and every Hollingsworth, Tucker, and JD Phillips in between. I truly believe this decade we have seen the two best QB's of the last 50 years.

If you had to choose an all decade QB (2010-2020), who do you choose? We have had a few Championship winning QB's -Mcelroy, AJ x2, Coker, Jalen/Tua, Who do you pick?

I know the popular pick, and rightly so, is Tua. The stats, and number certainly speak for themselves. Would you choose him over AJ? I am not so sure. They are both very gifted, and each played in a completely different offense. What could AJ have done with the fab 4 receivers? What would Tua's resume look like if he had to hand the ball off to Trent, and Eddie 30+ times per game.

For me it is too close to call. I think back to AJ breaking down in tears after we beat LSU, screaming at Barret Jones late in the championship game vs. Notre Dame, 98 yard bomb to Amari at the Barn...man that guy lived and breathed Bama football.

We have been blessed this decade in Tuscaloosa.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I had to win one college football game, I would choose Tua as my starter over any other QB who has ever played at this level.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Tua is the guy. Not much room for discussion on that unless you want to take injuries into account. Tua, unlike the others, has been very injury prone.
See I don't think it's as open and shut...AJ's 2 championships and 2nd place finish in the Heisman should make room for discussion. I agree that pure arm talent Tua wins hands down. I don't think there is a wrong answer, and my first instinct was to look at numbers and automatically choose Tua. But again two great QB's playing under 2 very different offensive schemes. 1 QB had more successful teams, 1 had better stats. Both are two of my all time favorites.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
See I don't think it's as open and shut...AJ's 2 championships and 2nd place finish in the Heisman should make room for discussion. I agree that pure arm talent Tua wins hands down. I don't think there is a wrong answer, and my first instinct was to look at numbers and automatically choose Tua. But again two great QB's playing under 2 very different offensive schemes. 1 QB had more successful teams, 1 had better stats. Both are two of my all time favorites.
Did we win because AJ was the QB?
Or did we win because there were about a million NFL guys on those defenses?
Or did we win because of Eddie Lacy and Trent Richardson?
Or did we win because the SEC QB situation back then was horrid?

AJ was great.....he really was. I never worried with him back there. But our defenses never allowed us to get down 20 points to anyone..... so, we'll never really know.

Last edited:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Did we win because AJ was the QB?
Or did we win because there were about a million NFL guys on those defenses?
Or did we win because of Eddie Lacy and Trent Richardson?
Or did we win because the SEC QB situation back then was horrid?

AJ was great.....he really was. I never worried with him back there. But our defenses never allowed us to get down 20 points to anyone..... so, we'll never really know.
I miss those defenses...

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Granted Tua is a once in a lifetime qb, but I’m taking AJ because that guy knows how to win, he bled Bama, he was smart, instinctive and he knew how the throw the ball away when nothing was there. This has been Tua’s biggest problem in not knowing when to just throw it away and leave to play another down. AJ would’ve slayed defenses with these 4 receivers he’s been throwing to and prob would’ve won that heisman and top that with the defenses that AJ had with him, we could easily be taking about the most dominant tide teams of all time.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Granted Tua is a once in a lifetime qb, but I’m taking AJ because that guy knows how to win, he bled Bama, he was smart, instinctive and he knew how the throw the ball away when nothing was there. This has been Tua’s biggest problem in not knowing when to just throw it away and leave to play another down. AJ would’ve slayed defenses with these 4 receivers he’s been throwing to and prob would’ve won that heisman and top that with the defenses that AJ had with him, we could easily be taking about the most dominant tide teams of all time.
Good posts. I just wanted to clarify an earlier comment I made about AJ living and breathing Bama football. First off, Tua has bled enough Crimson and given as much to the Tide as anyone. I think people use those type phrases about AJ to illustrate that he wanted to be QB at Bama since he was a little fella, and not in any way trying to say Tua doesn't live and breather Bama football...heck they guy and 20 or so of his relatives moved across an ocean and a continent!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I love AJ....

He's one of my absolute favorite former players and I felt the Best Alabama QB I had ever seen....

Until Tua....

Look AJ was GREAT..... but he had KILLER defenses to back him up. He also had Trent in 2011 and then Lacy/Yeldon in 2012 AND played behind perhaps the Best OL Alabama has ever had.

Tua has not had a consistently good OL or a Dominate Running game or a Great Defense....

He has had to carry almost the entire team (Not including the WR Group) for 2+ years.

In those 2+ Years he SHATTERED the QB records. He now owns I believe every significant record except Career Passing Yards and he WOULD have broken that if not for these latest injuries.

AJ started in 40 games (plus some 2010 action):

9,019 Yards Passing (225.5 YPG) (66.9%) 77 TD's 15 INT's QBR 162.5

Tua started in 24 games (plus some 2017 action);

7,442 Yards Passing (310.1 YPG) (71.4%) 87 TD's 11 INT's QBR 206.9

Tua threw for 400+ yards (3) Times *Record

Tua threw for 300+ yards (10) Times *Record

Tua threw for 3+ TD's (17) Times *Record

Tua Threw for 4+ TD's (12) Times *Record

Tua Threw for 5+ TD's (4) Times *Record

Tua Threw for 6+ TD's (1) Time *Record

Tua of course is also the Season Passing Yards Leader and TD Leader.

I mean honestly it's just not even a debate anymore.

Tua is without question the BEST QB to EVER wear a Crimson Jersey.

He's QB of the Decade, Century, Millennium.........

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm seeing stuff like AJ "bled" Alabama or whatever. Tua literally did that just two days ago.

I love AJ, Coker, Sims, and all the rest. But the answer to this question is Tua and there is no close 2nd.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Imagine had Tua played on the 2011 and 2012 teams......... with an offensive coordinator that knew how to use his talents
Absolutely agree, but I would also have loved to see what AJ could have done with this group of receivers.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
To me it's Tua all the way.

AJ was great and brought home the bacon.

We had a pretty good run with Jalen too. (I thought he might deserve an honorable mention, while not really in contention.)

I'd be interested in Namath's opinion, but I'm guessing he might not want to pick a favorite.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I have lived through a vast range of Alabama QB's in my short 43 years...from Walter Lewis to Tua and every Hollingsworth, Tucker, and JD Phillips in between. I truly believe this decade we have seen the two best QB's of the last 50 years.

If you had to choose an all decade QB (2010-2020), who do you choose? We have had a few Championship winning QB's -Mcelroy, AJ x2, Coker, Jalen/Tua, Who do you pick?

I know the popular pick, and rightly so, is Tua. The stats, and number certainly speak for themselves. Would you choose him over AJ? I am not so sure. They are both very gifted, and each played in a completely different offense. What could AJ have done with the fab 4 receivers? What would Tua's resume look like if he had to hand the ball off to Trent, and Eddie 30+ times per game.

For me it is too close to call. I think back to AJ breaking down in tears after we beat LSU, screaming at Barret Jones late in the championship game vs. Notre Dame, 98 yard bomb to Amari at the Barn...man that guy lived and breathed Bama football.

We have been blessed this decade in Tuscaloosa.
Really depends on your criteria.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To me it's Tua all the way.

AJ was great and brought home the bacon.

We had a pretty good run with Jalen too. (I thought he might deserve an honorable mention, while not really in contention.)

I'd be interested in Namath's opinion, but I'm guessing he might not want to pick a favorite.
If we get to have a 1st through 3rd team, that would be my set up. Tua, AJ, and Jalen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.