What QB do you choose for your all decade team?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Seriously, I would go with Tua. He's the best college QB I've seen. He has a quick release. He has a strong arm. But he also has a lot of touch with the ball. He knows how to lead the receiver away from the defender, or throw them open as some would say. His accuracy is unparalleled. And he does it all so effortlessly.

Not only that, but he appears to genuinely be a good guy. He's humble and respectful, never in trouble. He's a good leader, a great competitor, and a positive influence on a lot of people on the team and off.

Last edited:

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Guys.....I have seen every QB since Pat Trammel. Seen some great ones. I wish you younger dudes could have seen Richard Todd....Jeff Rutledge.......Joe Namath before the first knee injury. I could sit here and write about ALL of our QBs. Ken Stabler??? Now there is a QB for the ages. And he would have loved Tua. As we all do, but if Snake was with us today...he would be defending Tua's warrior mentality for extending plays when he could have killed the play to save himself from injury. Namath was injured a couple of times trying to make tackles after throwing interceptions. He was ALSO a warrior. But Snake had a feel for a game. And he played with hangovers sometimes. Tough. Steadman Shealy was fun to watch. Whole different kind of talent but what a leader! People will laugh...but if Jay Barker had been blessed with an OL like AJ had....he most likely would have 3 rings. Different talent...but if you think he wasn't a player....go pull up the 1994 Georgia vs Bama game in Athens Ga. He won a shootout versus Eric Zeier who was the media darling of '94. Tough. Tua is a warrior of another form. He and Jalen are similar to me. Tua's release is a bit more fluid. I will say....that I broke out in a huge ugly grin (because ..well...The 70s were rough) when Danielson announced that Bama was done after LSU's last score because Tua would have to score in one play...then recover an 'onside kick' to have a chance to win. A few seconds later...Smitty was in the endzone. I knew Tua is at his best in that situation. He is a winner. Exactly like ALL these other guys mentioned above. There are so many other QBs that have given their all for Bama. Walter Lewis was awesome. Many never got opportunities to play and many of them never seemed to perform up to reputations..but most gave something very special at one time or another. Tua will always remain with the elites IMO. We will all always wonder how it might have been had he been able to stay healthy. He will be somewhere in my top 10 of all-time Tide greats...and that is a very special place to be. Just my opinion, but it ought to be yours! I love saying that:biga2:
Tuaman....Roll Tide Brother. You will always reign in good company.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Tua in any decade at any college so long as the forward pass is allowed. :)

Best college quarterback I have seen in my entire life. Better than Dan Marino or John Elway or Brett Favre or Deshaun Watson or Scam Newton or anyone else you can think of. We'll have to wait and see about the NFL, but that doesn't matter for this debate.
I think Deshaun Watson was the best college quarterback I’ve seen in my life. He put up insane numbers on two of the best Alabama defenses of all time.

Tua is Top 5 but right now I can’t think of anyone that eclipses what Deshaun did.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That's because Tua passing to these WRs is a legit threat to convert 3rd and long and no running play ever is.
I said a few times before that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Another way to look at it is like this. Success is not determined entirely by if you make a first down, by if you score. Certainly not at Alabama. Success is if you achieve your goal of winning a championship. So you can draw up a play, and go hey look we got a first down, I did my job. Alright fine, but how much exactly is that first down worth? What's the cost of being predictable?

Specifically, how much would a first down against Miss. State have been worth on Tua's final possession? You don't run because you aren't as likely to get a first down. I understand why you do it, but Miss. State also understood to. That's why they sent guys to come after Tua. By relying so consistently on Tua, he was made him more vulnerable than was necessary..

Now, it is easy to say well you're second guessing things now, after the fact. I suspect B1G recalls my expressing general concerns about this sort of thing prior to Tua ever starting. I know I went over it a few times, you run a pass, X number of bad things can happen, one of those being injury. I said more than once that's what people aren't taking into account. It isn't even a matter of something good happening 90% of the time, because something really bad can happen the other 10% of the time. I saw the counter argument being explained, that all those yards are worth it, that they override the bad, but it sure doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting.

That's something that needs to be taken into consideration. How many times did Tua get hurt when he handed the ball off? In light of that, I think Alabama could have done with a few less first downs.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I said a few times before that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Another way to look at it is like this. Success is not determined entirely by if you make a first down, by if you score. Certainly not at Alabama. Success is if you achieve your goal of winning a championship. So you can draw up a play, and go hey look we got a first down, I did my job. Alright fine, but how much exactly is that first down worth? What's the cost of being predictable?

Specifically, how much would a first down against Miss. State have been worth on Tua's final possession? You don't run because you aren't as likely to get a first down. I understand why you do it, but Miss. State also understood to. That's why they sent guys to come after Tua. By relying so consistently on Tua, he was made him more vulnerable than was necessary..

Now, it is easy to say well you're second guessing things now, after the fact. I suspect B1G recalls my expressing general concerns about this sort of thing prior to Tua ever starting. I know I went over it a few times, you run a pass, X number of bad things can happen, one of those being injury. I said more than once that's what people aren't taking into account. It isn't even a matter of something good happening 90% of the time, because something really bad can happen the other 10% of the time. I saw the counter argument being explained, that all those yards are worth it, that they override the bad, but it sure doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting.

That's something that needs to be taken into consideration. How many times did Tua get hurt when he handed the ball off? In light of that, I think Alabama could have done with a few less first downs.
Having Tua handoff -- is like asking Derrick Henry to just be a blocking back. It's part of the game. But it's not THE game you want them to play.

You think a lot......

I've been called an "over thinker" but you make me look like Forrest Gump ;)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Granted Tua is a once in a lifetime qb, but I’m taking AJ because that guy knows how to win, he bled Bama, he was smart, instinctive and he knew how the throw the ball away when nothing was there. This has been Tua’s biggest problem in not knowing when to just throw it away and leave to play another down. AJ would’ve slayed defenses with these 4 receivers he’s been throwing to and prob would’ve won that heisman and top that with the defenses that AJ had with him, we could easily be taking about the most dominant tide teams of all time.
AND... If Tua had the Defenses AJ had, he would have ate up every team... Give Tua that kind of time, and he would make even more completions.
Don't get me wrong I love AJ. He was the man, just as Tua has been.
Now we can only look ahead and dream.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Seriously, I would go with Tua. He's the best college QB I've seen. He has a quick release. He has a strong arm. But he also has a lot of touch with the ball. He knows how to lead the receiver away from the defender, or throw them open as some would say. His accuracy is unparalleled. And he does it all so effortlessly.

Not only that, but he appears to genuinely be a good guy. He's humble and respectful, never in trouble. He's a good leader, a great competitor, and a positive influence on a lot of people on the team and off.
Tua has a quick release. Lia may have an even quicker release and a pretty strong arm.
Lia will be good enough to run our offense at some point. I feel like it's coming.
Right now Mac has the job, but I see Lia pushing him.
I see the job as Mac's to lose.
IMO: Lia has a stronger upside than our other candidates, but that could change.
This next Spring is gonna be a battle royal of good quarterbacks.
I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Guys.....I have seen every QB since Pat Trammel. Seen some great ones. I wish you younger dudes could have seen Richard Todd....Jeff Rutledge.......Joe Namath before the first knee injury. I could sit here and write about ALL of our QBs. Ken Stabler??? Now there is a QB for the ages. And he would have loved Tua. As we all do, but if Snake was with us today...he would be defending Tua's warrior mentality for extending plays when he could have killed the play to save himself from injury. Namath was injured a couple of times trying to make tackles after throwing interceptions. He was ALSO a warrior. But Snake had a feel for a game. And he played with hangovers sometimes. Tough. Steadman Shealy was fun to watch. Whole different kind of talent but what a leader! People will laugh...but if Jay Barker had been blessed with an OL like AJ had....he most likely would have 3 rings. Different talent...but if you think he wasn't a player....go pull up the 1994 Georgia vs Bama game in Athens Ga. He won a shootout versus Eric Zeier who was the media darling of '94. Tough. Tua is a warrior of another form. He and Jalen are similar to me. Tua's release is a bit more fluid. I will say....that I broke out in a huge ugly grin (because ..well...The 70s were rough) when Danielson announced that Bama was done after LSU's last score because Tua would have to score in one play...then recover an 'onside kick' to have a chance to win. A few seconds later...Smitty was in the endzone. I knew Tua is at his best in that situation. He is a winner. Exactly like ALL these other guys mentioned above. There are so many other QBs that have given their all for Bama. Walter Lewis was awesome. Many never got opportunities to play and many of them never seemed to perform up to reputations..but most gave something very special at one time or another. Tua will always remain with the elites IMO. We will all always wonder how it might have been had he been able to stay healthy. He will be somewhere in my top 10 of all-time Tide greats...and that is a very special place to be. Just my opinion, but it ought to be yours! I love saying that:biga2:
Tuaman....Roll Tide Brother. You will always reign in good company.
One advantage you and I have over the young guys is we saw and fondly remember the great quarterbacks from the past.
I knew Kenny when he played for us. Snake was a wild man on the field, and a wild man when he partied.
You had to love him. Snake would get tackled by a swarm of guys, when the pile cleared up, Snake always managed to get up and trot back into the huddle. Stabler was one of the original Tough Guys. Snake had a high completion rate, but most of his passes weren't really that long. I always followed his career.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I'm not 100% sold that Lia's upside is as big as that of Bryce Young....
Tua has a quick release. Lia may have an even quicker release and a pretty strong arm.
Lia will be good enough to run our offense at some point. I feel like it's coming.
Right now Mac has the job, but I see Lia pushing him.
I see the job as Mac's to lose.
IMO: Lia has a stronger upside than our other candidates, but that could change.
This next Spring is gonna be a battle royal of good quarterbacks.
I can't wait to see how it plays out.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm not 100% sold that Lia's upside is as big as that of Bryce Young....
I've seen some highlights of Young and he looks to be very accurate on the long throws and he's a very elusive runner. But I don't think I saw a single pass under 25 yards. I assume he can throw the quick slant or a deep out, but it's not on the highlights I've seen.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I've seen some highlights of Young and he looks to be very accurate on the long throws and he's a very elusive runner. But I don't think I saw a single pass under 25 yards. I assume he can throw the quick slant or a deep out, but it's not on the highlights I've seen.
From the little bit I've seen of him on TV(haven't watched any full games) some of his best throws are slants.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
One advantage you and I have over the young guys is we saw and fondly remember the great quarterbacks from the past.
I knew Kenny when he played for us. Snake was a wild man on the field, and a wild man when he partied.
You had to love him. Snake would get tackled by a swarm of guys, when the pile cleared up, Snake always managed to get up and trot back into the huddle. Stabler was one of the original Tough Guys. Snake had a high completion rate, but most of his passes weren't really that long. I always followed his career.
I remember those days as well. One of the biggest differences is the speed and size of the tacklers coming after the QB. Most of the line was 30-40 pounds lighter and not near as fast. I always thought Stabler was quick and shifty but never really though he was super fast.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I remember those days as well. One of the biggest differences is the speed and size of the tacklers coming after the QB. Most of the line was 30-40 pounds lighter and not near as fast. I always thought Stabler was quick and shifty but never really though he was super fast.
You can add almost 100 pounds to that 30-40 pounds average per man.

66 OL avg 193, 2019 OL avg 327, diff = 134 pounds per man

66 DL avg 189, 2019 DL avg 305, diff = 116 pounds per man

Bama had one starter over 200 lbs in 1966: OT Cecil Dowdy at 206.

Bama was small for that day. The OL that Bama started vs the 1965 Neb team in the Orange Bowl win 39-28 was outweighed by 40-50 lbs per man. OTOH, Neb was large for that day.

Football is truly a different game today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.