Improvement on Defense

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
We actually played some zone Saturday and looked good doing it. I like a zone because players can simply sit back and cover their area without having to think so much.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
And how much is think/react speed VS just pure movement. Because when Christian Harris sees it -- he's like missle. The speed issue (to me) is more of a reaction deficit, vs movement....

Shane Lee on the other hand? He's a thumper - not someone designed to guard TEs or RBs with speed
CAN I get an Amen!

It's not that we recruited slow players. Quite the contrary, they're unusually fast / quick for their size and position. The issue is the game is still too fast, and assignments still too complex, for them to just play instinctively. Too many are having to think, and while the split-seconds of hesitation look like slow footspeed, the fact of the matter is entirely different.

We are getting better, and next year I expect a quantum leap. But this year....we're just going through growing pains. A lot of people say, "They're not freshmen any more." There is some truth to the statement, and that's the source of the improvement. Trouble is, that simplistic view ignores the fact that everybody is growing physically and mentally. So improvement vs. the opposition is a moving target.

Just as a freshman is almost a sophomore at this point in the season, a junior is almost a senior, with all the attendant physical and mental maturity and experience.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
CAN I get an Amen!

It's not that we recruited slow players. Quite the contrary, they're unusually fast / quick for their size and position. The issue is the game is still too fast, and assignments still too complex, for them to just play instinctively. Too many are having to think, and while the split-seconds of hesitation look like slow footspeed, the fact of the matter is entirely different.

We are getting better, and next year I expect a quantum leap. But this year....we're just going through growing pains. A lot of people say, "They're not freshmen any more." There is some truth to the statement, and that's the source of the improvement. Trouble is, that simplistic view ignores the fact that everybody is growing physically and mentally. So improvement vs. the opposition is a moving target.

Just as a freshman is almost a sophomore at this point in the season, a junior is almost a senior, with all the attendant physical and mental maturity and experience.
Not sure I agree with all of this, but I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
You have, but injuries and defections have seen a lot of that talent and speed made unavailable this year.
And the split second it takes most younger players to make a decision/react can make a huge difference, i.e.. they are fast, but not playing fast.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
You have, but injuries and defections have seen a lot of that talent and speed made unavailable this year.
When you have a potential All-American LB in crutches and two of your last crown jewel recruits in Anoma and Alfano high tailing it out of T-town it is hard to look like Alabama.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
When I saw the title of this thread I thought to myself, “now there is a topic I can enjoy talking about”. Listen, defense is STILL what wins championships...I don’t care who disagrees with me. I know that offenses are making hay right now but if you have an elite defense you always have a shot at winning the game. If we had one of those super defenses this year we probably would have been considered the best college team of all time....but it just didn’t happen that way. I’ll be honest...as much as I’ve loved watching our offense I miss me some smash mouth defense! Sometimes when you have some superstars on a team you lose focus and don’t have a sense of urgency. The really great Saban teams weren’t always the best at every position but they were invested in the process and played as a team every snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I find it difficult to judge our defensive coaching staff. Alabama's front 7 is the youngest I think I've ever seen, not just at Alabama, I don't ever recall a power 5 program starting this many freshman. Clearly our defensive recruiting during the years of 2016-2018 were of, how do we say... Questionable quality. Additionally some of the better players during that span only effectively started a single season (Williams, Wilson, Moses -so Far). We seemed to recruit quite well on the offensive side, I'm not sure if I've seen a disparity quite like this. I hope this has been resolved with more recent classes but can I get some opinions on the question of: "Has the defense improved during the year?"
You do realize that we are starting most of these freshmen because of the slew of injuries that has hit us this year, right? :conf3:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
And how much is think/react speed VS just pure movement. Because when Christian Harris sees it -- he's like missle. The speed issue (to me) is more of a reaction deficit, vs movement....

Shane Lee on the other hand? He's a thumper - not someone designed to guard TEs or RBs with speed
I think, when you start true freshmen on defense, the biggest issue is getting them to read/react and trust their instincts.

Not to mention we had near misses in the last recruiting class like Dean (UGA) and To’ oto’ o (UTe) that could have helped.

I love Shane Lee, but his future may be on the d-line. He’s just one biscuit shy of putting his hand in the dirt.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also forgot to answer the topic question: I do think in general the execution has improved but I don't think it has improved significantly enough to make a difference against quality competition.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
And there are times I wonder about what caused them to leave
I could be wrong, of course, but I have a feeling that some of the four and five star guys aren't accustomed to being told no or having to work as hard. There are times when I think that every great defense that I can remember had some great players, but they also had some of those three and even two star guys who paid attention to every little detail and worked their tails off. Defense isn't easy, but I also think it is natural to let up a bit when we are ahead by 30 points and the offense is making things look easy. We'll find out in a few weeks if we are strong enough to control the line of scrimmage. If we are, and we finish 11-1, I say let the chips fall where they may as far as playoff implications. The SEC may not be as strong this year as in past years, but 11-1 in this league is very solid. If we can go 11-1 with the injuries we have incurred, it will be unbelievable.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If you want to know what I really think, I think that Nick thinks he can straighten out any head, no matter how mixed up. He succeeds just often enough to keep him trying...
Interesting point! They certainly seem to give up on themselves before Coach Saban ever gives up on them. I think some players appreciate that, while some just want to do things their own way.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you want to know what I really think, I think that Nick thinks he can straighten out any head, no matter how mixed up. He succeeds just often enough to keep him trying...
It is why he came back to the college game - to help young men.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Quite the contrary, they're unusually fast / quick for their size and position.
And this, I believe, is the crux of the injury problem which puts some of these young players on the field.

I believe that we seem to have an inordinate amount of injuries on defense, because we have more players that put more force/stress on their bodies (joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, etc.), not because of some perceived coaching issue-strength, technique, or otherwise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.