Improvement on Defense

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If you want to know what I really think, I think that Nick thinks he can straighten out any head, no matter how mixed up. He succeeds just often enough to keep him trying...
I would have to agree with you...…………...he gives them every chance and works with them, probably more than some deserve. Shame many cant see that he is trying his best to help them.

Always reminds me of what a coach I had in high school used to tell the talented players who wanted to slack off or goof around...…..

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn’t Work Hard"

Last edited:

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
CAN I get an Amen!

It's not that we recruited slow players. Quite the contrary, they're unusually fast / quick for their size and position. The issue is the game is still too fast, and assignments still too complex, for them to just play instinctively. Too many are having to think, and while the split-seconds of hesitation look like slow footspeed, the fact of the matter is entirely different.

We are getting better, and next year I expect a quantum leap. But this year....we're just going through growing pains. A lot of people say, "They're not freshmen any more." There is some truth to the statement, and that's the source of the improvement. Trouble is, that simplistic view ignores the fact that everybody is growing physically and mentally. So improvement vs. the opposition is a moving target.

Just as a freshman is almost a sophomore at this point in the season, a junior is almost a senior, with all the attendant physical and mental maturity and experience.
This ol' girl appreciates this explanation. Thanks!!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
CAN I get an Amen!

It's not that we recruited slow players. Quite the contrary, they're unusually fast / quick for their size and position. The issue is the game is still too fast, and assignments still too complex, for them to just play instinctively. Too many are having to think, and while the split-seconds of hesitation look like slow footspeed, the fact of the matter is entirely different.

We are getting better, and next year I expect a quantum leap. But this year....we're just going through growing pains. A lot of people say, "They're not freshmen any more." There is some truth to the statement, and that's the source of the improvement. Trouble is, that simplistic view ignores the fact that everybody is growing physically and mentally. So improvement vs. the opposition is a moving target.

Just as a freshman is almost a sophomore at this point in the season, a junior is almost a senior, with all the attendant physical and mental maturity and experience.
SPEED...
Saturday night I was reminded again the difference Speed can make.
I watched Baylor and Oklahoma. Baylor probably gave up 25 lbs per player.
Baylor had some big guys on the line, but the rest of the team looked like they were built for speed. Speed got Baylor to the ball quicker, and lots of their small guys knew how to tackle.
Baylor made Oklahoma look slow in comparison.
And Oklahoma managed a comeback win thanks to the heroics of Jalen Hurts.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I find it difficult to judge our defensive coaching staff. Alabama's front 7 is the youngest I think I've ever seen, not just at Alabama, I don't ever recall a power 5 program starting this many freshman. Clearly our defensive recruiting during the years of 2016-2018 were of, how do we say... Questionable quality. Additionally some of the better players during that span only effectively started a single season (Williams, Wilson, Moses -so Far). We seemed to recruit quite well on the offensive side, I'm not sure if I've seen a disparity quite like this. I hope this has been resolved with more recent classes but can I get some opinions on the question of: "Has the defense improved during the year?"
Not an authority on Recruiting for sure...but some attrition happens to all schools and Bama has been affected for sure. Our DB crew has been hit hard for last few years by early exits, transfers, injuries, and some just didnt seem to adjust to the system. As far as Freshmen...we had one guy who lost interest after the Spring and he might be a starter had he stayed. Anyway...the 2 LBs we have played their butts off. I don't think they are as fast as CNS would like them to be. All in all..I think the Freshmen and the D are playing better....but this team is missing people on both sides of the ball. The Freshmen havent hurt this team as much as injuries have. I have watched Bama football most of my life....and I have never seen a Bama Defense with this kind of talent allow so many yds and points scored. Sometimes it is blown coverage..sometimes just a good play...sometimes they are just getting dozed backwards. Cant explain it. How do you explain our Lbs coming in to make a play on the QB and the guy ducks...our LB whiffs past..and he runs 12 yds for a 1st down?? Just some unsual things happening. But yeah....I think there has been improvement but man...I don't recall allowing so many points as we have over the past 4 years. Lots of teams will be showing that trend though. These rules are hard on Defenses, and officiating is a joke now.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The only gripe I have with the defense this year and maybe a little bit last year is our defense if the inside RPO runs where it looks like we are sometimes filling the wrong gap or approaching the gap physically enough. These are the runs that keep us from getting off the field and the runs the Auburn offense is built around. Imo, Auburn is not a good match up for us on either side of the ball.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The only gripe I have with the defense this year and maybe a little bit last year is our defense if the inside RPO runs where it looks like we are sometimes filling the wrong gap or approaching the gap physically enough. These are the runs that keep us from getting off the field and the runs the Auburn offense is built around. Imo, Auburn is not a good match up for us on either side of the ball.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I have noticed this all season long. Especially with Shane Lee. He just kind of waits in the hole and lets the running back initiate the contact and then gets driven back a few yards while he holds on for the drag down tackle. I fully expect AU to score 28-35 points on us which would be more than they scored against UF, LSU or UGA..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have noticed this all season long. Especially with Shane Lee. He just kind of waits in the hole and lets the running back initiate the contact and then gets driven back a few yards while he holds on for the drag down tackle. I fully expect AU to score 28-35 points on us which would be more than they scored against UF, LSU or UGA..
OTOH, we have a couple of other players who charge in and overrun the play consistently... :D

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
OTOH, we have a couple of other players who charge in and overrun the play consistently... :D
True, but at least the player overrunning will occasionally make a play in the backfield or at least disrupt the offense at times. A linebacker just hanging out at the LOS waiting for the play to come to him is a recipe for disaster against a team like AU who uses a lot of window dressing and the width of the field as main features of their running game.

But, you're right, neither is an ideal style of play for a linebacker..

What's the status of Stephon Wynn ? I haven't seen him this year that I recall.

I've seen him in at least 3-4 games, very late in the game. Last year and this year has been in rebuilding mode on defense for a number of reasons. Last year our top 5/6 Db's were all 1st year starters. There was zero depth in the front 7. We are still 23-2. I can't help but think the ridiculous talent on the 2015-16 teams hurt recruiting some. Top talent may have looked elsewhere knowing they might not start til their junior year. The list reads like an NFL allstar team. Many of them starting their freshman and/or sophomore year.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
True, but at least the player overrunning will occasionally make a play in the backfield or at least disrupt the offense at times. A linebacker just hanging out at the LOS waiting for the play to come to him is a recipe for disaster against a team like AU who uses a lot of window dressing and the width of the field as main features of their running game.

But, you're right, neither is an ideal style of play for a linebacker..
I agree Lee is too timid. It's like he's afraid of targeting fouls or something. He just needs to put some salt water up his nose and be mortally insulted before he goes to play. HE just needs to hate people more. on the field that is.

But back to your point, I think in general I have seen some run defense improvement but they are really terrible at tracking the QB out of the backfield. and I can go ahead and tell you the Auburn game plan. QB steps back on 3rd and long, pretends like he's going to pass even though I know, most of the stadium knows, and the guy in the parking lot running a grill knows, he's just going to try and run for it, 98% of that to the left. Stop that one little "trick" play and Auburn will never score. But alas.... that seems to be our Kryptonite.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
We have let QBs outside of the pocket consistently this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I agree Lee is too timid. It's like he's afraid of targeting fouls or something. He just needs to put some salt water up his nose and be mortally insulted before he goes to play. HE just needs to hate people more. on the field that is.

But back to your point, I think in general I have seen some run defense improvement but they are really terrible at tracking the QB out of the backfield. and I can go ahead and tell you the Auburn game plan. QB steps back on 3rd and long, pretends like he's going to pass even though I know, most of the stadium knows, and the guy in the parking lot running a grill knows, he's just going to try and run for it, 98% of that to the left. Stop that one little "trick" play and Auburn will never score. But alas.... that seems to be our Kryptonite.
Indeed, my fear is that....we get pressure, but only get a hand on Nix, who then escapes for big yardage. I think the boys will get back there and pressure him but I really only worry that the pressure won't turn into negative plays but them just whiffing and Nix taking off.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Indeed, my fear is that....we get pressure, but only get a hand on Nix, who then escapes for big yardage. I think the boys will get back there and pressure him but I really only worry that the pressure won't turn into negative plays but them just whiffing and Nix taking off.
Pretty much what happened against Burrow..

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Pretty much what happened against Burrow..

Exactly, and with even more youth in the front 7 due to injuries, unless Barmore turns clones himself or one more of the young guys just suddenly shows out....I worry about Nix escaping on a 3rd and 6 or more, extending a drive when they had a chance to get off the field.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly, and with even more youth in the front 7 due to injuries, unless Barmore turns clones himself or one more of the young guys just suddenly shows out....I worry about Nix escaping on a 3rd and 6 or more, extending a drive when they had a chance to get off the field.
You will not defend Nix the way that you defended Burrow. Burrow is an elite passer. You went after him. You want Nix to try and beat you in the air. You will mush rush and/or spy.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
The LSU offense is based on attacking the weakness of the opposing defense. Joe Brady has done a great job of helping Joe Burrow identify what to do and what to look for and how to attack the weakness of the opposition.

Malzahn doesn't do that and Nix isn't as good a QB as Burrow, at this point. LSU runs a system based on an NFL philosophy of attacking the weakness of your opponent. Auburn runs a system based on a high school philosophy of deception and tempo. There's not comparison. College defenses have learned how to stop up-tempo, spread offenses. Stopping an offense that attacks your weakness is a whole different matter. That's why Saban said it's almost impossible to stop LSU's offense.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.