Improvement on Defense

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Points allowed per opponent and their average points per game + national ranking in scoring offense:

Duke - 3 (24.9 / #92)
New Mexico State - 10 (18.8 / #118)
South Carolina - 23 (24.2 / #99)
Southern Mississippi - 7 (30.6 / #60)
Mississippi - 31 (27.2 / #77)
Texas A&M - 28 (34.0 / #31)
Tennessee - 13 (23.9 / #101)
Arkansas - 7 (22.3 / #105)
Louisiana State - 46 (47.8 / #2)
Mississippi State - 7 (26.5 / #84)

We haven't played many good offenses this year but still have gotten torched relatively speaking when you consider ALABAMA v. bottom 60 offensive opponent. I don't think it has gotten better because paradoxically - and historically-speaking atypically - our competition has gotten worse since Texas A&M save LSU.

We all know why they're not great. It is understandable and whatever we achieve this season has to take that reality into account during the postmortem but let's not put lipstick on the pig. This unit for the Saban era is historically bad and the winning and losing comes down to efficiency and scoring volume by the offense and special teams.

Edit: And I know that someone is going to post the fact that Alabama is #12 in scoring defense nationally. I counter that with the simple fact that we beat 9 of our 12 opponents this year in February through August (recruiting and S&C program). Additionally, look at our opponent's offensive rankings. Not only do we simply out-talent most teams on our schedule, most of these opponents were incompetent in their own right.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Points allowed per opponent and their average points per game + national ranking in scoring offense:
Lots of ways to look at stats, but almost all stats shot that Alabama's defense is pretty solid. Of course that doesn't fit your narrative.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.