Improvement on Defense

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I find it difficult to judge our defensive coaching staff. Alabama's front 7 is the youngest I think I've ever seen, not just at Alabama, I don't ever recall a power 5 program starting this many freshman. Clearly our defensive recruiting during the years of 2016-2018 were of, how do we say... Questionable quality. Additionally some of the better players during that span only effectively started a single season (Williams, Wilson, Moses -so Far). We seemed to recruit quite well on the offensive side, I'm not sure if I've seen a disparity quite like this. I hope this has been resolved with more recent classes but can I get some opinions on the question of: "Has the defense improved during the year?"

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
One of the announcers said the other day only Bama and UMass start as many true freshmen, and UMass ain't doing too well.

I think that our guys have held five opponents to 10 points or less this year. No, they aren't great against really mobile qb's because we may be a step slow in understanding the play, but it's not like we don't have the talent. I think that next year you will see a step forward.

rtr

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Today will be the first practice after all the injuries. Coach will have to do his best to get across to the rest of the team how urgently it is required that ALL of them, coaches and players, up their game tremendously to close the season in a Bama Factor way. We lost some leaders. Everyone now has to really, really play/coach the best ball we've seen all year.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
We will see how mean they want to be now. They have had Tua to bail them out the last few years. I am not sure they ever felt like their backs were really against the wall--if someone scored, oh well, Tua can come in an make up for it. Bama defenses are best when the team goals run through them. I am sure they all realize now that it is up to them to keep Mac out of a bad spot. I am looking forward to them playing with that mantle to carry. I bet they bow their backs and rise to challenge.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Interesting comments by Saban this morning. A lot of defensive starters and second team d-line players will not see the field on Saturday. A whole bunch of true freshmen will get to play. Sneak preview of 2020.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I think if we were fundamentally better at tackling, this defense would be more highly regarded than it is now. We have given up a lot of yards after contact this season and it's not hard to see several of our guys arm tackling (or attempting to), which just doesn't get it done at this level unless you're in the Big 12.

If/once our D begins to finish tackles at the point of contact and these young guys get more game experience, we'll have a nasty defense.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Interesting comments by Saban this morning. A lot of defensive starters and second team d-line players will not see the field on Saturday. A whole bunch of true freshmen will get to play. Sneak preview of 2020.
Thank goodness..... these guys will be hungry. They can go "all out" -- and not hurt their redshirt status.....for some. It may be painful at times, but it also may cause some light bulbs to go off too

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks...does this mean for WC game or Auburn too?

Man have we been blasted by injuries the last few years.

In addition to Dale, Davis, Ruggs being questionable for Western Carolina, so is Mathis and another guy. Saban in his presser said there will be a few guys on defense that will have to play Saturday who have not yet played this year--it will be their first game. Wow. I sure hope these guys are healthy by Auburn !

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
We have recruited good defensive players, but we are just a step slow. I would like to see us recruit more speed. But I know it's easier said than done.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In addition to Dale, Davis, Ruggs being questionable for Western Carolina, so is Mathis and another guy. Saban in his presser said there will be a few guys on defense that will have to play Saturday who have not yet played this year--it will be their first game. Wow. I sure hope these guys are healthy by Auburn !
I think that is the point of holding them out - be ready for Auburn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We have recruited good defensive players, but we are just a step slow. I would like to see us recruit more speed. But I know it's easier said than done.
You have, but injuries and defections have seen a lot of that talent and speed made unavailable this year.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think if we were fundamentally better at tackling, this defense would be more highly regarded than it is now. We have given up a lot of yards after contact this season and it's not hard to see several of our guys arm tackling (or attempting to), which just doesn't get it done at this level unless you're in the Big 12.

If/once our D begins to finish tackles at the point of contact and these young guys get more game experience, we'll have a nasty defense.
I see you have a firm grasp of the obvious. :p

Yes, I do see improvement. We'll be back to our standard of greatness soon.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think that is the point of holding them out - be ready for Auburn.
I don't recall P. Mathis being hurt but maybe I missed that. Or, maybe he played through it and now it is worse. I saw the others get hurt.

Maybe Saban should just play the entire 2nd string or some 3rd string after the 1st quarter on offense and defense, just to prevent any more serious injuries to starters before the Auburn game. Give these other kids some experience.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You have, but injuries and defections have seen a lot of that talent and speed made unavailable this year.
And how much is think/react speed VS just pure movement. Because when Christian Harris sees it -- he's like missle. The speed issue (to me) is more of a reaction deficit, vs movement....

Shane Lee on the other hand? He's a thumper - not someone designed to guard TEs or RBs with speed

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't recall P. Mathis being hurt but maybe I missed that. Or, maybe he played through it and now it is worse. I saw the others get hurt.

Maybe Saban should just play the entire 2nd string or some 3rd string after the 1st quarter on offense and defense, just to prevent any more serious injuries to starters before the Auburn game. Give these other kids some experience.
We only got 7 scholarship players on the DL due to 3 guys being out. Not really possible.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.