Bama Freshman DB Scooby Carter in the Transfer portal (he's staying)...(no, he's in the portal again)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I remember in 1999, I was set to attend Jacksonville State University on a scholarship and my mother kept telling me that she thought I wasn't ready to handle the pressure of attending big school like JSU and thought that I should've attended Calhoun and take baby steps. I should've listened to her. I left JSU after one year with 1.8 GPA. I struggled Mentally and Emotionally. I could've stayed and preserved through it, but I knew I had to go back and start over. I ended up transferring to Calhoun Community college, then transferring to Athens State University. I made huge progress during those time. I left Athens State with 3.5 GPA and graduated from FIT with 3.9 GPA.

I can understand what Scooby is going through at this moment, but I admit that he didn't handle this right. I wish him nothing but the best.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I remember in 1999, I was set to attend Jacksonville State University on a scholarship and my mother kept telling me that she thought I wasn't ready to handle the pressure of attending big school like JSU and thought that I should've attended Calhoun and take baby steps. I should've listened to her. I left JSU after one year with 1.8 GPA. I struggled Mentally and Emotionally. I could've stayed and preserved through it, but I knew I had to go back and start over. I ended up transferring to Calhoun Community college, then transferring to Athens State University. I made huge progress during those time. I left Athens State with 3.5 GPA and graduated from FIT with 3.9 GPA.

I can understand what Scooby is going through at this moment, but I admit that he didn't handle this right. I wish him nothing but the best.
And the fella has pretty bad timing. When the team is coming together to surround their leader, he bails....

Had he left in March -- he would be getting 10% of the grief I'm sure he's getting now....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

You are projecting your experiences onto him. It might or might not have played out like this for Carter. If it did, I hope he figures it out. But if he transfers and then submits a waiver to play immediately, then he is just a quitter who didn't like Alabama.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
You are projecting your experiences onto him. It might or might not have played out like this for Carter. If it did, I hope he figures it out. But if he transfers and then submits a waiver to play immediately, then he is just a quitter who didn't like Alabama.

I also think the Alfano incident is playing a role in how this is perceived with Carter....All we heard about Alfano was he was going through so much because of his grandmother and he was going to move closer to home, only to head to Colorado.

These kids don't know what hardship is....if they have a bad day, a bad week, etc., its simply emotions that we don't "understand" and we should be more "sensitive" to their needs. Horse crap, if it were my son, and I've done this with my kids, if you get involved in something you at least see the season out then make a decision. That's a huge reason I respect Jalen so much outside of just football itself.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not trying to do that. I'm just saying that it is hard to adjust to new environment surrounding him, and for the record, I don't think he handled this right.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I’ve heard a few fans of other teams claiming this will help them recruit against Bama, along with Tua’s injury.........lots of rubbish, I say
To me, how they've handled Tua's injury has been nothing short of perfect.

Different injury
World's best care
Team rallying around leader....

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I guess I'm confused? What is going to help them with recruiting against us? The fact that they have to go to class?If that's a negative thing for a recruit, then they won't last here anyway...don't waste our time and resources.
I’ve heard a few fans of other teams claiming this will help them recruit against Bama, along with Tua’s injury.........lots of rubbish, I say

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess I'm confused? What is going to help them with recruiting against us? The fact that they have to go to class?If that's a negative thing for a recruit, then they won't last here anyway...don't waste our time and resources.
Any player lost due to negative recruiting is too dim witted to make it at a school like Alabama. Better off without them.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Well, they don’t have anyone taking pics of the big board, so they gotta do
Something

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Lord! The Houston surgeon even complimented Bama's handling and commented that a lot of colleges didn't handle it properly. Idiots grasping at straws...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
He was neither encouraged nor asked to leave. I will say that he’s had the same challenges that SOME freshman STUDENTS have when they go off to college in a state that’s a decent drive from home distance wise.

The going to class thing....that’s very easily correctable by just....you know...going to class.

He is an undeniable talent at DB, and if he can bring it all together will probably find himself on someone’s Thorpe Award ballot before he graduates.

But as with many freshman that come to college, there is a maturation process that has to take place. Some handle it better than others. I wish him well.
Yeah. I had a really bad freshman year and I did not have to deal with being a football player ( though I worked over 40 hours a week). No one here will care that I sucked my freshman year because I am just a normal guy. However this guy is just another guy that gets stressed out too. He just so happens to be extremely talented at football too. I hope he gets everything together and can utilize that talent.

beardensdaman44

All-SEC
Mar 7, 2006
Having never been involved with D1 recruiting, I'd bet these young men are told by everyone in their lives that they walk on water and get to make their own rules.
The recruiter probably plays to that in the recruitment process.
Then reality hits him when his arrives in Tuscaloosa.
"You are not the greatest athlete ever to don a helmet. And you don't get to skip class. You are part of the Process."
Some adjust. Some do not.
I wish him well in his next stop.
Next man up.

THIS.

And if you want to see how a kid should handle these things, watch the documentary on Da'Shawn Hand. I don't remember much being made of it when it was released, but it is extremely good. Hand is the ideal recruit. Humble, intelligent and he thinks before he makes a decision. It's called "First and 17." It's a MUST watch for Bama fans.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm not trying to do that. I'm just saying that it is hard to adjust to new environment surrounding him, and for the record, I don't think he handled this right.
No different than a kid coming out of high school, then running smack dab into Vietnam.
Some adjust easily. Circumstances force them to grow up.
Others don't. Carter still has a lot of growing up to do.
He can now do it on someone else's Dime.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I wish the private sector worked this way. I’ve a few employees I would like to send into the transfer portal.
Over the years I had a lot of 21-25 yr. olds work for me. Too many were like Carter.
I encouraged them to work for someone who didn't make demands on them.
Demands like follow the rules, follow orders.
I managed to see most of them on their way. Thank goodness.

Then there were the other kind of guys.
Over the years a few guys seemed to follow me from assignment to assignment.
These guys were over achievers. They did more than just follow the rules.
These are the guys who became leaders.

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
I started to write a thread on the type of players we seem to be getting but decided I would write a book. There seems to be to many with the mentality of what can Alabama do for me. I know this is the state of kids today but not all. I coach a different sport and the ones that want to make themselves good are the ones successful. Not the ones who want you to make them good and rely on talent. I cringe when I hear a recruit say, I chose Alabama because they put a lot into the NFL. No, Alabama doesn’t put a lot of players in the NFL, players from Alabama put themselves in the NFL by doing what their coaches tell them to do and working their arse off! I know a player is going to be successful and a contributor when they say I want to have to compete to win my job and at Alabama I know I will. Sorry for the long post, been awhile since I last posted. Lurk a lot.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
No different than a kid coming out of high school, then running smack dab into Vietnam.
Some adjust easily. Circumstances force them to grow up.
Others don't. Carter still has a lot of growing up to do.
He can now do it on someone else's Dime.
My dad did was in that category. From high school to Vietnam, the Army made him a combat medic. I the longer I live the more respect I have for him.

Scooby wasted an opportunity, most of us only dream of having.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.