Bama Freshman DB Scooby Carter in the Transfer portal (he's staying)...(no, he's in the portal again)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Absolutely not. I know for a fact that the academic side is emphasized in the recruitment process. Many parents have reported that, in their first visit with Saban, football was never mentioned. There's no excuse. He decided not to listen/believe what he was being told. Also, there's no school which provides more academic support than Bama...
And it is a fact that his TRUTH that he says was PRECISELY why Julio said he came to UA. Everyone else thought it was a slam dunk on where he was going but he said it absolutely wasn’t! He has said many many times that Coach Saban was the ONLY one that didn’t promise him anything. I think that is why he wins the living room with so many of the parents.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
The school choice might not have been Carter's. It may have been where his parents wanted him to go...
Come on...he is supposed to be a young man, and he is responsible for his actions and decisions. He should be man enough to admit when he made a mistake and take the consequences of his actions and try to improve his future decision making. Treating him like a child does him no favors in life. The only way his parents might be at fault are for not teaching him that academics are more important than atheletics.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
And it is a fact that his TRUTH that he says was PRECISELY why Julio said he came to UA. Everyone else thought it was a slam dunk on where he was going but he said it absolutely wasn’t! He has said many many times that Coach Saban was the ONLY one that didn’t promise him anything. I think that is why he wins the living room with so many of the parents.
Correct: 5 star Barnett was beaten out by 5 star Hurts, who was replaced by 5 star Tua. CNS offers a background of being in the league for a time with the best NFL coach we’ve ever seen. I think he’s pretty straight forward with the kid and his family.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
He's a kid, I'm cutting him some slack. I don't know all the details, but know my college-aged kids need our guidance often and there's no telling if he receives the same sort of perspective.

Student athletes at this level are under an unbelievable amount of stress - more than most most adults ever have to handle - all while having a prefrontal cortex that's still 5-7 years away from being developed.

So yeah, he's a kid, I'm cutting him some slack...
I agree. This lady, (the one with Tua on the cart on Saturday btw), has insight into what goes on with these young athletes. I know there are some bad seeds, but most times the issues are a good kid is just struggling.

https://youtu.be/FOb8MncYUwY

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Come on...he is supposed to be a young man, and he is responsible for his actions and decisions. He should be man enough to admit when he made a mistake and take the consequences of his actions and try to improve his future decision making. Treating him like a child does him no favors in life. The only way his parents might be at fault are for not teaching him that academics are more important than atheletics.
How is this responsive to my post that his parents may have wanted him at Bama? Are you aware that in the Tagovailoa family, the father has determined where each son has attended school? They make no secret about it...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If Carter wants to go because he doesn’t want to go to class, let him go.

I have no doubts that the demands of the Process are clearly laid out to the recruit and parents early on in recruiting.

It does, however, seem that we’ve lately either (1) over-estimated the willingness of several recruits to follow the Process, or (2) recognized a marginal attitude, and over-estimated our ability to turn it around.

Whatever the shortcoming, it results in a double-whammy....waste time and resources on a signee who contributes little or nothing, then leaves, and lose the potential long-term contributions of whoever the scholarship would otherwise have gone to.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If Carter wants to go because he doesn’t want to go to class, let him go.

I have no doubts that the demands of the Process are clearly laid out to the recruit and parents early on in recruiting.

It does, however, seem that we’ve lately either (1) over-estimated the willingness of several recruits to follow the Process, or (2) recognized a marginal attitude, and over-estimated our ability to turn it around.

Whatever the shortcoming, it results in a double-whammy....waste time and resources on a signee who contributes little or nothing, then leaves, and lose the potential long-term contributions of whoever the scholarship would otherwise have gone to.

“Lately”

This isn’t a new problem. We have had kids bail every year since Coach got here. Kids bailed in the 70s and the 80s and the 90s.

What has changed?

Our willingness to hear the “why” (before it never mattered). The inability of kids to deal with any complex emotions. The ability to bail without reason and no penalty for doing so.

Kids leaving hasn’t changed. Our inability to accept that someone doesn’t love us, has changed.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Student athletes at this level are under an unbelievable amount of stress - more than most most adults ever have to handle - all while having a prefrontal cortex that's still 5-7 years away from being developed.
When I taught at Alabama, the best students I had were student-athletes (both young women). One ran track and the other was a basketball player.
I chalked it up to being purposeful, organized, and disciplined. They knew that they had a certain amount of time to practice their sport, a certain amount of time to do their classwork, and they disciplined themselves to get the right things done within the time allotted. They both were very good at this. Maybe the structure of sports helped them develop that discipline.

I do not know Carter's story. I just wish him well wherever he ends up and say, "Next Alabama man up."

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Like my old ball coach told us. “They’ll be playing football here with or without you and someone will be coaching football here with or without me.”

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
“Lately”

This isn’t a new problem. We have had kids bail every year since Coach got here. Kids bailed in the 70s and the 80s and the 90s.

What has changed?

Our willingness to hear the “why” (before it never mattered). The inability of kids to deal with any complex emotions. The ability to bail without reason and no penalty for doing so.

Kids leaving hasn’t changed. Our inability to accept that someone doesn’t love us, has changed.
Sorry, this is not true. Until very recently, a decision to leave your school meant going down a level or missing a year. Kids who considered changing stuck it out because the price for that change was high. But things began to change about 10 years ago as our society changed. Even before the transfer portal was created we had kids like BB leaving and getting waivers to play the next year at a D1 school - even though there was zero hardship involved. Our culture would never have allowed that 20 years ago. No school would have taken him under those conditions, and he wouldn't have even attempted to get that waiver approved because it would have been ridiculed. He would have been labeled a quitter, and rightfully so. He quit when he didn't get to start.

I am one who supports the new transfer rules, but I understand the consequences. Things have changed. We have created a culture in college football in which quitting is no longer frowned upon. It is sad, because some of these kids really are having problems and a change can make all the difference. They get lumped in with the quitters. I suspect that Carter will submit a waiver to play immediately wherever he goes. If so, he isn't leaving because of any hardship. He is leaving because things got tough and he wasn't willing to work to turn it around. And our society now encourages the behavior. Not happy - quit.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Good Luck to him and his future endeavors.

Attending a post secondary institution is a growing process for many and is a step towards independence. I left home when I was 18 and never looked back. I made a choice to go the JUCO living at a dorm at Chipola JC (Now College) in Marianna, Fl. I was still in driving distance of family, but basically on my own with my parents in the Middle East. I chose that route and then attend a major institution. It was still sort of "culture shock" when I got to FSU.

Good Luck, Scooby!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I expect to see more of this with the NCAA pretty much approving every transfer immediately (unless they are coming to Bama). Add to that with the coming "pay to play" situation that California and the NCAA just started the notion of going to class is a dead issue. Most schools won't even care and can easily "Auburn it" (set up online classes that you pass just by remembering your password to the portal). Meanwhile Saban will be over here talking about earning your spot, outworking everyone else, and going to class in case, I don't know, you break your hip and need a non football job. I'm not sure how Saban's way survives much longer.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Sorry, this is not true. Until very recently, a decision to leave your school meant going down a level or missing a year. Kids who considered changing stuck it out because the price for that change was high. But things began to change about 10 years ago as our society changed. Even before the transfer portal was created we had kids like BB leaving and getting waivers to play the next year at a D1 school - even though there was zero hardship involved. Our culture would never have allowed that 20 years ago. No school would have taken him under those conditions, and he wouldn't have even attempted to get that waiver approved because it would have been ridiculed. He would have been labeled a quitter, and rightfully so. He quit when he didn't get to start.

I am one who supports the new transfer rules, but I understand the consequences. Things have changed. We have created a culture in college football in which quitting is no longer frowned upon. It is sad, because some of these kids really are having problems and a change can make all the difference. They get lumped in with the quitters. I suspect that Carter will submit a waiver to play immediately wherever he goes. If so, he isn't leaving because of any hardship. He is leaving because things got tough and he wasn't willing to work to turn it around. And our society now encourages the behavior. Not happy - quit.
Actually at this point, society makes no difference between hardship and hurt feelings. It doesn't matter if it's legit or not -- all changes are treated the same way. It used to not matter why a kid was quitting....he was branded a "quitter". Now, it still doesn't matter why a kid is quitting....but now he's branded as "misunderstood"....

I don't agree with the changes..... but they are what they are. But, we've always had kids quit.....now, there just aren't consequences if they do.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK. Under Saban, the sales pitch has been the challenge of playing at Alabama and competing with the best to rise to the top. A lot of recruits have commented on how different the approach is from the other schools recruiting them. Julio was told by Saban that we'd win championships with him or we'd win championships without him. The choice was up to him. The character was there. The school choice might not have been Carter's. It may have been where his parents wanted him to go...
That right there is the Bryant sales pitch of the 1970s.
Word for word (as I'm sure you know better than I).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I expect to see more of this with the NCAA pretty much approving every transfer immediately (unless they are coming to Bama). Add to that with the coming "pay to play" situation that California and the NCAA just started the notion of going to class is a dead issue. Most schools won't even care and can easily "Auburn it" (set up online classes that you pass just by remembering your password to the portal). Meanwhile Saban will be over here talking about earning your spot, outworking everyone else, and going to class in case, I don't know, you break your hip and need a non football job. I'm not sure how Saban's way survives much longer.
As long as more of his players go to the NFL and/or finish their degrees and get decent jobs, there will continue to be room for programs which do it the right way, IMO. After all, there many programs now where kids can go now which don't demand much academically, as you've pointed out. Saban has no problem attracting the best of the best. I don't think that'll change but I hear and understand your concerns...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
You are 100% right. I was looking at some names that have gone public in the past month about the transfer portal. The trend I've noticed is guys going places where they have a perceived easier path. In that regard, Tuscaloosa is decidedly not an easy path destination.

Seems one way. Doesn't work in our favor...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You are 100% right. I was looking at some names that have gone public in the past month about the transfer portal. The trend I've noticed is guys going places where they have a perceived easier path. In that regard, Tuscaloosa is decidedly not an easy path destination.
Definitely! However, it seems that we usually get high-quality transfers because of that. And, of course, Saban is as selective as he is with recruiting...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.