Bama Freshman DB Scooby Carter in the Transfer portal (he's staying)...(no, he's in the portal again)

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
You serious Clark? 'cause I'm pretty sure I can scare up some folks that would have taken an education, chef, masseuse, tutors, nice place to live.etc...over Nam. I cannot nor am I intending to speak for anyone that serves/served, but I think that this was waaaayyyy off base. (see what I did there?)
No different than a kid coming out of high school, then running smack dab into Vietnam.
Some adjust easily. Circumstances force them to grow up.
Others don't. Carter still has a lot of growing up to do.
He can now do it on someone else's Dime.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I started to write a thread on the type of players we seem to be getting but decided I would write a book. There seems to be to many with the mentality of what can Alabama do for me. I know this is the state of kids today but not all. I coach a different sport and the ones that want to make themselves good are the ones successful. Not the ones who want you to make them good and rely on talent. I cringe when I hear a recruit say, I chose Alabama because they put a lot into the NFL. No, Alabama doesn’t put a lot of players in the NFL, players from Alabama put themselves in the NFL by doing what their coaches tell them to do and working their arse off! I know a player is going to be successful and a contributor when they say I want to have to compete to win my job and at Alabama I know I will. Sorry for the long post, been awhile since I last posted. Lurk a lot.
Very good post. I agree whole heartedly.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I’ll say I agree being in the military and going to Vietnam at 18 certainly aided my growing up. It also changed my worldview and my politics, but I grew up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
As CPB said, the first time you quit, it’s hard. The 2nd time is easier. The 3rd time, you don’t even have to think about it. Might be unfair, but I’m guessing this is not the 1st time.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As CPB said, the first time you quit, it’s hard. The 2nd time is easier. The 3rd time, you don’t even have to think about it. Might be unfair, but I’m guessing this is not the 1st time.

My son reminds me on a fairly consistent basis about "the lecture" I gave him after wanting to quit after a very bad night on the baseball diamond at age 14. Basic premise of that "lecture" was "today it's baseball, tomorrow it's college, then it's your job, then it's your marriage and your family, and what after that? Your life?"

The main lesson I wanted him learning on the field and in life was how to get up, keep going, keep fighting when things weren't going his way.

He reminds me about it because to this day, at age 28, he says it was one of the most important moments in his life.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My son reminds me on a fairly consistent basis about "the lecture" I gave him after wanting to quit after a very bad night on the baseball diamond at age 14. Basic premise of that "lecture" was "today it's baseball, tomorrow it's college, then it's your job, then it's your marriage and your family, and what after that? Your life?"

The main lesson I wanted him learning on the field and in life was how to get up, keep going, keep fighting when things weren't going his way.

He reminds me about it because to this day, at age 28, he says it was one of the most important moments in his life.
Your son is a wise man. Sounds like you gave him some advise that lots of kids ought to hear.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Your son is a wise man. Sounds like you gave him some advise that lots of kids ought to hear.
Dan, afterwards I second guessed myself as over-reacting or being too hard on him. I've been pretty open on this forum in discussing my son's issues with alcohol/drugs as a young man (now clean and sober for almost nine years).

He says he was ready for his life to be over. It was at that blackest moment when he wanted to quit on "life" when this conversation came back to him. And he decided he had to keep going, he had to keep fighting.

I now thank God every day I said what I said.

Reactions: whatsamatta U

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
This is why I don't closely follow recruiting. The kid that just left was all about the Tide when he signed. I guess it is all part of a "weeding out" in a natural kind of way. Supposedly a good talent who just left. Hard to have depth and talent with players doing this...although when I think back...we have always had a few who left. Just more nowadays.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
With the possible exception of Kamara, has anyone ever made it big after walking out on us?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So here’s a question. What happens when a kid goes into the portal and then no one wants to scoop them up? Have they effectively left football? Can they go back to the school they were at to begin with?
Has this ever happened that anyone knows of?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So here’s a question. What happens when a kid goes into the portal and then no one wants to scoop them up? Have they effectively left football? Can they go back to the school they were at to begin with?
Has this ever happened that anyone knows of?
Yes, it has happened many times. The school is no longer obligated to continue the scholly after a player enters the portal. They can if they wish, but it is up to the school.

Players take a substantial risk when they enter the portal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.