Bama Freshman DB Scooby Carter in the Transfer portal (he's staying)...(no, he's in the portal again)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Freshman year is tough for these guys -- they were the star in HS and now just another player. Lots of adjustments...the challenge is that they would probably do best to stay wherever and keep working...life is tough and lots of adjustments...got to learn that lesson sooner or later.

Even Nagee and Tua thought about leaving...

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Probably wants to "go closer to home" but winds up transferring in the opposite direction....similar to a new Colorado Buffalo.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Freshman year is tough for these guys -- they were the star in HS and now just another player. Lots of adjustments...the challenge is that they would probably do best to stay wherever and keep working...life is tough and lots of adjustments...got to learn that lesson sooner or later.

Even Nagee and Tua thought about leaving...
They didn't skip classes. They stayed through the season and talked it over with their families before deciding. Having doubts is common. Quitting is just weak.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Having never been involved with D1 recruiting, I'd bet these young men are told by everyone in their lives that they walk on water and get to make their own rules.
The recruiter probably plays to that in the recruitment process.
Then reality hits him when his arrives in Tuscaloosa.
"You are not the greatest athlete ever to don a helmet. And you don't get to skip class. You are part of the Process."
Some adjust. Some do not.
I wish him well in his next stop.
Next man up.
Absolutely not. I know for a fact that the academic side is emphasized in the recruitment process. Many parents have reported that, in their first visit with Saban, football was never mentioned. There's no excuse. He decided not to listen/believe what he was being told. Also, there's no school which provides more academic support than Bama...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Absolutely not. I know for a fact that the academic side is emphasized in the recruitment process. Many parents have reported that, in their first visit with Saban, football was never mentioned. There's no excuse. He decided not to listen/believe what he was being told. Also, there's no school which provides more academic support than Bama...
I did not mean to imply that Bama recruiters tell recruits that they do not have to attend class.
I would bet that recruiters from others schools do, or at least do not emphasize the importance of academics.
I do believe that all recruiters, including Alabama's, play to recruits' vanity by telling them they are great athletes. At Alabama, they can honestly tell the recruit that, even as a freshman, if you give the team the best chance to win, you'll start or the very at least play.

I bet that Alabama recruiters tell recruits, "You will have to go to class." And stud athletes like Scooby think to themselves, "Yeah, yeah. I've heard that before, but I know it's not true. I'm so good, they don't dare bench me."

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, if his problem is that simple, I really don't wish him well. Sounds petty, but I am getting tired of these guys acting like petulant children. I hope he fails miserably so he can learn from it.
He's a kid, I'm cutting him some slack. I don't know all the details, but know my college-aged kids need our guidance often and there's no telling if he receives the same sort of perspective.

Student athletes at this level are under an unbelievable amount of stress - more than most most adults ever have to handle - all while having a prefrontal cortex that's still 5-7 years away from being developed.

So yeah, he's a kid, I'm cutting him some slack...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
A little bit Old Testament, BIG.

Thousands of freshmen leave schools all over the country for homesickness, girlfriends, immaturity, academic issues or the school turned out to be something they didn’t expect. Happened when I was a freshmen, too.

Unlike athletes, they don’t have to publicly enter the transfer portal. They just leave. Doesn’t mean they’re petulant.
Their lives, not ours.

Well, if his problem is that simple, I really don't wish him well. Sounds petty, but I am getting tired of these guys acting like petulant children. I hope he fails miserably so he can learn from it.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
After being suspended for Saturday’s game. Right on cue......I’m all for players having the ability to just up & leave. I also don’t like when a player just decides to up & leave.

I hate to say it, because it sounds cold and cruel. BUT...
ALABAMA will be a better team without his distraction.

This will free up a scholarship for a player that would like a free education.

Crap like this will continue in college football. When they opened up the Portal, Lots of bad boys and malcontents are going to pass thru, along with the guys who don't want to go to class.
Cases like this highlight the unintended consequences created by an open Portal policy.

Here's hoping Scooby finds exactly what he's looking for. BUT...
Scooby doesn't meet Alabama's standards.
(I think that Light Blinked Out)

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I remember back in the day, when it was a big deal for us or Auburn to “win the state” in recruiting. A large majority of our players now are out of state kids. Back in those days there were no 5 star ratings. You had a connection for the most part. Now, it’s all about getting to the NFL. CNS has a proven track record for doing just that.

If you could put Cornelius Bennett and Bo Jackson in that climate during their recruitment, they may have both ended up who knows where. It’s a different day with these kids now.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I did not mean to imply that Bama recruiters tell recruits that they do not have to attend class.
I would bet that recruiters from others schools do, or at least do not emphasize the importance of academics.
I do believe that all recruiters, including Alabama's, play to recruits' vanity by telling them they are great athletes. At Alabama, they can honestly tell the recruit that, even as a freshman, if you give the team the best chance to win, you'll start or the very at least play.

I bet that Alabama recruiters tell recruits, "You will have to go to class." And stud athletes by Scooby think to themselves, "Yeah, yeah. I've heard that before, but I know it's not true. I'm so good, they don't dare bench me."
OK. Under Saban, the sales pitch has been the challenge of playing at Alabama and competing with the best to rise to the top. A lot of recruits have commented on how different the approach is from the other schools recruiting them. Julio was told by Saban that we'd win championships with him or we'd win championships without him. The choice was up to him. The character was there. The school choice might not have been Carter's. It may have been where his parents wanted him to go...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.