JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Bama could use Petty’s help avoiding trap against Furman
by Chris DePew
TideFans Staff
November 19th, 2019 12:54 AM

Where to watch: Furman (4-0, #71 KenPom Rating) at Alabama (1-2, #74) – Today 7 p.m. Central, Coleman Coliseum, SEC Network-Plus (online only) Who to watch: John Petty. The junior from Huntsville has started every game and averages better than 33 minutes a night out of necessity, but so far he looks like the same […]

Read More Here...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I said this before - there is no such thing as a trap game when you are 1-2, coming off a loss to Rhode Island. Calling it a trap game is like building in an excuse for poor play before the game tips off.

This team isn't good enough to look past anyone - yet. But they have potential.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I said this before - there is no such thing as a trap game when you are 1-2, coming off a loss to Rhode Island. Calling it a trap game is like building in an excuse for poor play before the game tips off.

This team isn't good enough to look past anyone - yet. But they have potential.

I agree, once they learn how to play within the system consistently, they will be in every game they play. I'm going to chalk up the RI game as a good learning experience for them ... here's hoping they beat a solid Furman team by 20 tonight.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We are a 3 point favorite in the desert, but I would not put much stock in that. We were a 1 point favorite in the RI game. What i am seeing is a team that is trying to adjust to the up tempo style Coach Oats wants to play. It seems that in our attempt to go faster we sometimes make bad decisions with the ball. ie. ill advised passes which result in turnovers. Coach Oats wants the team to be ready for the conference schedule. Don't be surprised if we have appear to struggle when in reality we have a challenging schedule that will make us look worse than we really may be. If we can get nine wins in the out of conference and break even or be just over 500 in conference play, I think we make the tourney. We gotta win 18 games to have a chance depending on the rest of the conference standings.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We are a 3 point favorite in the desert, but I would not put much stock in that. We were a 1 point favorite in the RI game. What i am seeing is a team that is trying to adjust to the up tempo style Coach Oats wants to play. It seems that in our attempt to go faster we sometimes make bad decisions with the ball. ie. ill advised passes which result in turnovers. Coach Oats wants the team to be ready for the conference schedule. Don't be surprised if we have appear to struggle when in reality we have a challenging schedule that will make us look worse than we really may be. If we can get nine wins in the out of conference and break even or be just over 500 in conference play, I think we make the tourney. We gotta win 18 games to have a chance depending on the rest of the conference standings.
To be fair, this team made the same kind of turnovers last year. But Oats is a real coach. He will get this sorted out. He just needs time to teach, and the kids need more game play.

I am more worried about the terrible 3pt shooting, because the Oats offense requires guys that can hit those shots. If the problem is as simple as teams ignoring your big men and focusing on your perimeter shooting then you need to find a way to get the ball down low and score in the paint. That will open up the perimeter a bit and hopefully help. But right now, perimeter shooting is a problem.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Agree with you on the shooting, but I think it will be a case where we shoot better at home. The gym at RI was extremely small while that is not excuse, it does affect the background which sometimes affects the teams shooting. While we never shot what I'd call even remotely good in the game, we seemed to at least shoot better in the 2nd half. We are a team that will live or die by the 3, much like Auburn. If Davis can provide some inside presence, we will undoubtedly shoot better when defenses defend the post. We also need to defend better. Oats does not play zone ever, and we need to defend better so we can get out and run.

I hate to mention individual players, but Petty needs to calm down. He still can't dribble. I'd rather he miss a 3 than drive and commit a turnover. He is one player that needs to gather himself before he puts the ball on the floor. He is rebounding pretty well and we just don't have any other bodies. If there was ever a kid who needs to work on fundamentals, it is him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.