Coping with lack of explosive offense

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I've been telling myself it was only a few more games, anyway. We are going to have a logjam at QB. Young is supposed to be really, really good, so we'll have Mac, Taulia, Tyson and Young coming on board. I think it's not a question of "whether" but one of "who" transfers. Our offense will change, for sure, but I don't think we're going to be impotent...
My money is on Tyson transferring in the spring and Mac transferring sometime after that. It will be between Young and Taulia next year imo.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My money is on Tyson transferring in the spring and Mac transferring sometime after that. It will be between Young and Taulia next year imo.
It will be interesting. We've certainly had a true freshman come in and take over before. Hope he's studying the playbook... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thinking about it, I think transfers by Taulia and Tyson more likely, although Tyson leaving would be like an amputation. :D This is all speculation, anyway. About all we can say is that transfers are likely...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It would depend on Tyson’s mindset and plans for his future. Gardner Minshew was coming to Alabama to get his foot in the door for coaching. If Leach hadn’t come along and convinced him otherwise he wouldn’t be in the NFL.

If all these guys are hellbent on starting then I could see a defection or two. Even Mac could be content backing up next year if he gets beat out by someone.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Mack, you were dead on about Jalen before he stepped foot on campus, what do you think about Young and the other “Young Guns” waiting in the wings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Situations like this is why Sark gets the big bucks. I hope he shows that saban's faith in him was not displaced, I think he will.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I really do not understand why everyone thinks the sky is falling with Tua gone. Tua is a generational QB, one of the best in the country and he cannot be replaced! Do not misunderstand me.

Mac Jones is a junior that has had some of the best coaching on the planet. Has been sitting behind two of the best QB in the country for 3 years. Has some of the best talent in the country around him. He came in as a highly rated 4 star recruit. He is not some kid we just picked up off the flag field. He has played in several games now, with some real action and a start under his belt. He is at worst a top 5 SEC QB right now. I would argue, other than UGA and LSU he could start for any other team in the SEC today. There may be two or three others you can make an argument for but I would take Mac over them and understand the argument.

Understand we are upset about Tua, but Mac is a first rate QB that can get the job done. I would say he is better than McElroy and he won a ring and he is at least as good as AJ if not better and he won a ring, plus Mac has more weapons around him than either of those two had.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
I really do not understand why everyone thinks the sky is falling with Tua gone. Tua is a generational QB, one of the best in the country and he cannot be replaced! Do not misunderstand me.

Mac Jones is a junior that has had some of the best coaching on the planet. Has been sitting behind two of the best QB in the country for 3 years. Has some of the best talent in the country around him. He came in as a highly rated 4 star recruit. He is not some kid we just picked up off the flag field. He has played in several games now, with some real action and a start under his belt. He is at worst a top 5 SEC QB right now. I would argue, other than UGA and LSU he could start for any other team in the SEC today. There may be two or three others you can make an argument for but I would take Mac over them and understand the argument.

Understand we are upset about Tua, but Mac is a first rate QB that can get the job done. I would say he is better than McElroy and he won a ring and he is at least as good as AJ if not better and he won a ring, plus Mac has more weapons around him than either of those two had.
This version of MAC is not better than original GMAC of 2010.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

I would say Mac does not have more talent than AJ. He may have more talent than McElroy, but that remains to be seen. As for weapons around him, he has a better group of receivers. But he doesn't have the talent at RB, OL, or on defense that either McElroy or AJ had. And they had some pretty good receivers, as well. So overall, I'd say the talent around Mac is not as good as the talent around the other two.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would say Mac does not have more talent than AJ. He may have more talent than McElroy, but that remains to be seen. As for weapons around him, he has a better group of receivers. But he doesn't have the talent at RB, OL, or on defense that either McElroy or AJ had. And they had some pretty good receivers, as well. So overall, I'd say the talent around Mac is not as good as the talent around the other two.
I follow you....I follow you....I do...and I'm with you. But I counter with this on the underlined part. During media sessions last week, Najee (for the first time publicly) kind of shared how annoyed he is at that notion. He talks about not really having the opportunity to showcase it because of all of the other weapons that are on the field (namely Tua & the receivers). I don't know that we truly know what those units are capable of because they haven't necessarily been asked to do what those past teams were asked to do. This RB unit has been asked to be more of a complementary unit and the OL group has been asked mostly to be great in pass pro. In the past, the RBs were the focal point and that, in turn, helped the OL with pass pro because of the threat of play action.

I think we'll learn more about who we are and who we can be in two weeks down in Auburn.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I follow you....I follow you....I do...and I'm with you. But I counter with this on the underlined part. During media sessions last week, Najee (for the first time publicly) kind of shared how annoyed he is at that notion. He talks about not really having the opportunity to showcase it because of all of the other weapons that are on the field (namely Tua & the receivers). I don't know that we truly know what those units are capable of because they haven't necessarily been asked to do what those past teams were asked to do. This RB unit has been asked to be more of a complementary unit and the OL group has been asked mostly to be great in pass pro. In the past, the RBs were the focal point and that, in turn, helped the OL with pass pro because of the threat of play action.

I think we'll learn more about who we are and who we can be in two weeks down in Auburn.
Very good information Mr. Silky Johnson.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Check out Bryce Young's 2019 stats on the recruiting board. I think that you guys will be just fine.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
Call me crazy but I think the offense will be fine for the next 3 or 4 years. Bryce Young has the "it" factor. Watch his film. He is special. He might end up being better than Tua. I realize that is crazy talk. Tua has been amazing! I just believe that Young will be something extra special in college. He just needs to have some stud wide receivers around him like Tua has had these last few years. And don't forget that Trey Sanders, Rivals #3 overall recruit for last year and the best running back in that class, will be back next year. Don't fret. The future is still bright. The defense might be a different story. Hope I am wrong.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What's going to be fun -- is watching Lia come in on the second possession of the third quarter this weekend -- running the offense....with Waddle, BRob, Metchie and Shavers.... and seeing if there is some magic in there. I think he will be mobile, exciting, and throw a couple of touchdowns....

THEN -- it will get really interesting on the football board!

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Call me crazy but I think the offense will be fine for the next 3 or 4 years. Bryce Young has the "it" factor. Watch his film. He is special. He might end up being better than Tua. I realize that is crazy talk. Tua has been amazing! I just believe that Young will be something extra special in college. He just needs to have some stud wide receivers around him like Tua has had these last few years. And don't forget that Trey Sanders, Rivals #3 overall recruit for last year and the best running back in that class, will be back next year. Don't fret. The future is still bright. The defense might be a different story. Hope I am wrong.
Here's the deal, Tua makes the receivers better because he hits them in stride so they can keep running full speed, he throws balls that lead them into open spaces and away from the defenders (so they can keep running full speed through the catch), and he gets the ball to them at the right time to make the catch in small windows between defenders.

The receivers make Tua better because they catch virtually anything they can get their hands on, they are great route runners and know how to get to the open spot, and they're fast enough to run away from defenders after the catch.

It's a win-win situation that is the result of supreme talent on both ends of the play. Our great receivers won't be as great with Mac because he can't do what Tua does (see above). But they will still make plenty of big plays.

We will lose several of our receivers to the NFL this year, but we have several great receivers waiting in the wings. There is plenty of talent at that position. Next year we'll just have 3 great receivers instead of 5.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Here's the deal, Tua makes the receivers better because he hits them in stride so they can keep running full speed, he throws balls that lead them into open spaces and away from the defenders (so they can keep running full speed through the catch), and he gets the ball to them at the right time to make the catch in small windows between defenders.

The receivers make Tua better because they catch virtually anything they can get their hands on, they are great route runners and know how to get to the open spot, and they're fast enough to run away from defenders after the catch.

It's a win-win situation that is the result of supreme talent on both ends of the play. Our great receivers won't be as great with Mac because he can't do what Tua does (see above). But they will still make plenty of big plays.

We will lose several of our receivers to the NFL this year, but we have several great receivers waiting in the wings. There is plenty of talent at that position. Next year we'll just have 3 great receivers instead of 5.
Just curious -- who is #5?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.