Coping with lack of explosive offense

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Tua and company have spoiled us and I dont know how we are supposed to go back to pre-Tua days?

There will never be a QB -WR combo like we had this year -- atleast in my lifetime.

As for Tua --- hope we can continue to see him tear up NFL

Sorry guys but this is my way of grieving.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We still have Harris, Jeudy, Smith, Waddle, Ruggs and others. I am confident that Mac can get them the ball in space and they will still be explosive. It might not look like the offense that Tua runs, but Sark game plan to will find ways to get the ball into his playmakers hands. Mac may not execute with the level of efficiency Tua did (most QBs in the country don't), but he can get the job done.

In other words, I think our offense will still be explosive. It just may do things a little differently to create those plays.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't care if my teams win scoring 10 points or 50 points - just win. Tua was leaving soon no matter what. But Alabama is still Alabama.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I think Najee will step up. He already is coming into his own the past few games. As said before, we have the playmakers. Mac just needs to distribute the ball in whatever capacity that he can and let them make the plays.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
I don't care if my teams win scoring 10 points or 50 points - just win. Tua was leaving soon no matter what. But Alabama is still Alabama.
I would love to go back to 2011 time frame and win like 24-7 but the college football has drastically changed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've had very good to great offenses with much lesser quarterbacks than Tua. The situation is a bit different because Mac Jones was not groomed to be the starter in 2019. Perhaps, to some degree, the offense isn't quite tailored to Mac Jones strengths. This is actually bit less of a problem this year because QB runs were nearly eradicated from the offense. Still, I don't think Mac Jones has shown himself to be the pinpoint accurate thrower over the middle so the slant RPO is definitely not going to be as likely to pop for a huge play. He throws a pretty nice deep out or corner route though.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
We will still have an explosive offense. We have always had an explosive offense under Nick Saban. It has been in his mission statement since day 1.
I think we are good long term at QB. We have Mac and Taulia now, with Bryce Young coming in. What I'm wondering is will we ever again see a group of wide receivers like we have now. This is most phenomenal group of receivers I've ever seen on one team, especially an Alabama team. And these guys don't just catch passes, they actually block and look out for each other. Will we ever see a group like this again? I'm hoping in the future that, the names will change, but the results will be the same.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There is such thing as scoring too quickly. I have always preferred the possession type offense to keep our D rested. I think that is part of our problem defensively now. Mac has the capability to throw the slant. One play and its pay dirt with the talent we have to throw to. But I still prefer the sustained, balanced offensive attack.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
We've had very good to great offenses with much lesser quarterbacks than Tua. The situation is a bit different because Mac Jones was not groomed to be the starter in 2019. Perhaps, to some degree, the offense isn't quite tailored to Mac Jones strengths. This is actually bit less of a problem this year because QB runs were nearly eradicated from the offense. Still, I don't think Mac Jones has shown himself to be the pinpoint accurate thrower over the middle so the slant RPO is definitely not going to be as likely to pop for a huge play. He throws a pretty nice deep out or corner route though.
Let the guys adjust to a righty and We will be all right. People forget about ball rotation. I’ve seen a few of his passes touch hands and careen unexpectedly to those guys. Ball rotation and trajectory are different, these guys will adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think Najee will step up. He already is coming into his own the past few games. As said before, we have the playmakers. Mac just needs to distribute the ball in whatever capacity that he can and let them make the plays.
This is the key. Mac doesn't have to play like Tua. But with the talent around him, we'll still have plenty of explosive plays. I would expect the offense to look different next year without Tua and our amazing receivers. Of course, next year we'll still have some great receivers, just not as many as this year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've been telling myself it was only a few more games, anyway. We are going to have a logjam at QB. Young is supposed to be really, really good, so we'll have Mac, Taulia, Tyson and Young coming on board. I think it's not a question of "whether" but one of "who" transfers. Our offense will change, for sure, but I don't think we're going to be impotent...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
There's a guy in our QB room who is healthy who has been the MVP of the A-Day game two years in a row (over Jalen and then over Tua). He should get the starting nod the next two weeks. I feel fairly comfortable in saying that our offense will be just fine.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Tua and company have spoiled us and I dont know how we are supposed to go back to pre-Tua days?

There will never be a QB -WR combo like we had this year -- atleast in my lifetime.

As for Tua --- hope we can continue to see him tear up NFL

Sorry guys but this is my way of grieving.
Hard to argue with this IMO. No question for me that they`ve been the best battery Alabama has had in the 61 years that I`ve been watching Alabama football. JMHO, of course.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Only change will be the personnel. Everything else will be the same.

I've been telling myself it was only a few more games, anyway. We are going to have a logjam at QB. Young is supposed to be really, really good, so we'll have Mac, Taulia, Tyson and Young coming on board. I think it's not a question of "whether" but one of "who" transfers. Our offense will change, for sure, but I don't think we're going to be impotent...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This is true, and I think the O line has quietly improved as well to help this along. I know it`s been said, but getting D. Brown back at RG has led to steady improvement in the run game. Ds have to respect our run game, at the very least.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.