NFL considering having a game at BDS

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Better question is "Why did the Raiders pass on going back to LA over going to LV?"
The Raiders wanted LA. They were blocked by the NFL owners. They gave the Rams the first ticket, and then the Chargers the first rights on the second. When the deal with San Diego fell through, the Chargers only option was LA and of course, the Raiders were left out in the cold at that point.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I still have a couple of tickets from when the Jets and Bills played a preseason game at Legion Field in 1970. Joe Willie and OJ are pictured on the tix.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
The year of Katrina, when the Superdome was unusable, the Saints played 4 home games in Tiger Stadium. One of those was against the Nick Saban led Dolphins. My memory isn’t like Selma’s, so I looked it up and the reported attendance was 61k, but I seem to recall the actual attendance was much lower. Granted, the saints were not good and this was pre-Brees, but the locals still really liked Saban.

Anyway, it sounds like a cool idea, but I don’t think it translates well. College towns like their teams. OTOH, playing an away game in a pro stadium can be an experience, such as when LSU played Wisconsin in Lambeau. I know Bama has a home and home against Whiskey in the future, but you will get to jump around in Camp Randall, which is an equally compelling experience.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
NFL football has a far larger fan base than college football.
Oh I know that. I’m one of the fans. I actually have become a far greater fan now that Bama players are so well represented in the league. I don’t blame them for their attempts either. It’s business. I like the idea of the international marketing better though. I thought the Mexico City game was cool. I’d love to see the Bell cow franchise in my hometown.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Seems like a good one-off idea. But attendance would be good only for the interest in what is a real NFL game in the state. There will never been any real discussion of bringing an NFL franchise to our state, permanently. Too many factors working against us, namely, the college game is more popular here. I'd make the argument that the college game is more popular in other places too, such as Tennessee, and maybe even Georgia, but those two states each have one very large city, with a pro franchise, that does well because of having that one large city.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There was actually a lot of talk about bringing an NFL team to B'ham in the 70's. The Birmingham Americans of the old world football league had 3 former Miami Dolphin players at the time,( Czonka, Kick, and Mercury Morris), and I think they sold out almost every game. I believe they won the WFL championship if I remember correctly. There was some talk then of B'ham getting a team then, but nothing ever materialized. It wasn't for lack of fan support. I don't think there was ever a big money man to back it up. I do think that ship has sailed now so I can't see Birmingham ever having a team. Frankly Huntsville may be the 1st city with a true major league team of some sort.

I do think a pro game would get some curious fans to come and check it out. I am not sure you'd get 100,000 though.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Which means it is only a stupid idea, instead of an incredibly stupid idea.

After reading the article, even though it was not stated, this idea would seem to be one way of solving the "well, if we go to a 17 game season, how do we handle the extra home game?" problem. Each team would still get their 8 home games, and everyone has to hit the road for 9 games.

OK, an interesting approach. The problem is................they will most likely think "local appeal", for one of the teams. Are Falcon or Titans fans going to come to T-Town? How many actually show up to their home games! OK, maybe some folks, who live an hour or two away might show up. Still leaves 80k, by the time you add in the locals with the home fans who travel, empty seats.

Not good optics.

Saints fans might travel well, but who wants the corndogs coming to town? Once every other year is more than often enough.

Other than Steelers or Packers, who has the fanbase that will go anywhere? Maybe the Pats, but that is only 3 teams. And every large stadium will clamor for those teams. Which means they are not coming to BDS. Best we can hope for is something like Saints vs Texans...................maybe CowBags. Most likely the loser Falcons. So, stupid idea

The best part of having the Falcons here would be to watch a team wearing read and black lose. Again. Maybe this time they will not trash the library.
I think locals that don’t often get to attend an NFL game without an overnight trip might be a chunk of the fans they get to come. I don’t think anyone would expect the stadium fill up with just fans of the two pro teams playing.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think it would be a huge benefit for Bama to allow it on the week before LSU. I think CNS would be behind it since he could use it as a recruiting tool. I hope if the do it then its a Sunday Night Football game between two really good teams.
That would be good timing if they can deal with the different schedules the different teams work around. SUnday night or Monday monday night.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think a game at BDS would work if it involved at least one of the following:

1. A Southern team. The Titans and NFC South probably would all draw a decent crowd just from having a decent local following.

2. A team with a traditional national following. The Cowboys or Steelers would fit the bill.

3. A team that is on top right now. Love them or hate them, you know the Patriots would bring people in.

That being said, we will get stuck with Chargers-Cardinals.

To be honest, I don’t know how big a crowd it would draw on a yearly basis. The first game might draw well as a novelty but would it be sustained if we hosted every year? The game could only be played on a week we are off or on the road anyway. I don’t know if people here would get into an NFL game in the middle of the college season. And a good NFL crowd of 50,000 would only fill half the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

1. A Southern team. The Titans and NFC South probably would all draw a decent crowd just from having a decent local following.

2. A team with a traditional national following. The Cowboys or Steelers would fit the bill.

3. A team that is on top right now. Love them or hate them, you know the Patriots would bring people in.

To be honest, I don’t know how big a crowd it would draw on a yearly basis. The first game might draw well as a novelty but would it be sustained if we hosted every year? The game could only be played on a week we are off or on the road anyway. I don’t know if people here would get into an NFL game in the middle of the college season. And a good NFL crowd of 50,000 would only fill half the stadium.

Maybe, but if Alabama can sell out playing Ark State, football fans must be starving. But, as you said, it can't be just any random 2 teams. In each college market you have to find match-ups that work.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Maybe, but if Alabama can sell out playing Ark State, football fans must be starving. But, as you said, it can't be just any random 2 teams. In each college market you have to find match-ups that work.
Yep, you couldn't really have broncos vs jets and expect people to care.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Or, Alabama vs. Arkansas State sells out because people don't want to watch the NFL.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I still have a couple of tickets from when the Jets and Bills played a preseason game at Legion Field in 1970. Joe Willie and OJ are pictured on the tix.
My wife and I were at that game. Details of it have faded from memory, but what I do recall was the fact that I got a warning ticket after the game headed out on Red Mt. Expressway, the only time I've ever been blue-lighted. :D

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
I went to the 1968 Baltimore Colts vs Chicago Bears preseason game at Legion Field and it sure wasn't a sell out. It was August 10. There was a regular season game later that year, September 22, between the Boston Patriots and The New York Jets which I missed. I did get to see John Unitas and Gale Sayers which made my day.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm a far bigger fan of college football than the NFL, but this could be cool. It seems like it would be good for the city.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama

I'd go see the Patriots and Falcons.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.