Saban wants Mac Jones to be "Lead Dog".

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It would be nice, but I think we've been spoiled a bit by quarterback play lately. Last couple of years Alabama saw some really fantastic play from the starters and before that the backups. One year your backup scores 11 TDs, the next your backup scores 10 TDs. Let's not get into having a Heisman candidate the past few years.

Mac fits much more into the mold of what we saw from GMac and AJ. Alabama won a lot of games with those guys though, but it will be an adjustment.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
It would be nice, but I think we've been spoiled a bit by quarterback play lately. Last couple of years Alabama saw some really fantastic play from the starters and before that the backups. One year your backup scores 11 TDs, the next your backup scores 10 TDs. Let's not get into having a Heisman candidate the past few years.

Mac fits much more into the mold of what we saw from GMac and AJ. Alabama won a lot of games with those guys though, but it will be an adjustment.
Comparing AJ to Greg is silly. Greg could never have done what AJ did to Auburn or TAMU.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Comparing AJ to Greg is silly. Greg could never have done what AJ did to Auburn or TAMU.
It was the final game in Auburn's six-game Iron Bowl winning streak, their longest one over Alabama. ... 2009: Auburn leads 21 to 20 going into the 4th quarter. Greg McElroy led a perfect drive and threw a four-yard touchdown pass to fullback Roy Upchurch with 1:24 remaining to lift No. 2 Alabama to a 26–21 win over Auburn at Jordan–Hare Stadium.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bama has to beat Auburn convincingly to make it to the playoffs. We have to pass the "eye test" to stay ahead of Oregon and/or Utah. Does a "Tua-less" Bama deserve to be in the top 4?
Disagree - I think as long as Bama looks good, a one-point win is all it takes.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Disagree - I think as long as Bama looks good, a one-point win is all it takes.
I think the same, especially since that same Auburn team beat Oregon on a neutral field while we have to beat them on their home field. If we finish 11-1 in the SEC West with road wins over TA&M and Auburn, that resume will be as good as any of the other teams remaining.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yeah, because that was my point. I was specifically talking about what AJ did his senior year and comparing that to where Mac is right now.

Both AJ and Greg McElroy were unexceptional as backups, in entirely the same fashion as Mac has been. AJ was also rather pedestrian in his first year as a starter (147) not unlikely GMac (140.5) but developed more later on. Which of the two Mac is more like remains to be seen, but he's far more likely to be more of a game manager than the type of play we've seen from Tua, and even from Hurts in his past two years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, because that was my point. I was specifically talking about what AJ did his senior year and comparing that to where Mac is right now.

Both AJ and Greg McElroy were unexceptional as backups, in entirely the same fashion as Mac has been. AJ was also rather pedestrian in his first year as a starter (147) not unlikely GMac (140.5) but developed more later on. Which of the two Mac is more like remains to be seen, but he's far more likely to be more of a game manager than the type of play we've seen from Tua, and even from Hurts in his past two years.
With Auburn’s defensive backs being their weakness, their defensive front being their strength, and our wide receivers being our strength I think many are going to be surprised at how aggressive we really are with Mac behind center.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
You know what they say: If you're not the lead dog on the sled team, the scenery never changes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just curious—what are you basing that prediction on?
Auburn always seems to have an edge in "enthusiasm" in this game. I really am not sure that will be true this year. Alabama will either be totally flat, or really fired up. If Alabama plays at a high level and with great enthusiasm the entire game, Auburn just doesn't have the athletes to compete.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Great answer B1G!!!
Auburn always seems to have an edge in "enthusiasm" in this game. I really am not sure that will be true this year. Alabama will either be totally flat, or really fired up. If Alabama plays at a high level and with great enthusiasm the entire game, Auburn just doesn't have the athletes to compete.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just curious—what are you basing that prediction on?
A couple of things. Lets just say Im hearing some interesting stuff from Auburn friends in the know. But overall I think we match up better vs their defense even with Mac than what most believe, and if Ole Miss can shut that offense down on the plains then we can too

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Consider my curiosity piqued, your info. is historically pretty sound. Love to hear more? PM if you don't want to go public yet...:Joker_PDT_37: on TideFans.com
A couple of things. Lets just say Im hearing some interesting stuff from Auburn friends in the know. But overall I think we match up better vs their defense even with Mac than what most believe, and if Ole Miss can shut that offense down on the plains then we can too

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.