CBS vs the World for the SEC (SEC-CBS talks).

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Not so sure it is wise to put all eggs in one basket (Disney, espn, ABC). That arrangement could give them too much control, especially television game selection and time. With that said, CBS only offers one SEC game per week, which seems to be shorting the conference. I am amazed at the mega dollar potential for the SEC, which is great.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I've never understood why CBS doesn't start their coverage until the 3rd week of the season. They should have to cover every week and have at least 6 DH.
CBS carried the US Open Tennis on the first two weeks until 2015. Therefore, their contract with the SEC does not include those weeks. Any games they show in the first two weeks are leased from ESPN.

It is shameful they were not forced to up the ante on the contract when aTm and MO were added. The contract remains at $55M. The big loser is Bama because of being shown 5 times a year they get a whopping $733,333 per game. If Bama could sell those rights themselves they would probably get $5-6M per game. As it is they get only $3.66M per YEAR.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/...s-us-open-will-switch-channels-full-time.html

Last edited:

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Did anyone else catch NBC SN's coverage of the Notre Dame vs Boston College game yesterday?

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Interviews with cheerleaders, people sitting around a coffee table gibber jabbering about nothing in a 3-way split screen. The announcers sounded like they were calling an episode of the Kardashian's not a college football game. I realize this young generation has an attention span of 1.6 seconds, but there's no excuse for turning this sport into a soap opera. I do not want NBC getting the SEC tv contract if this is their idea of covering football.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Did anyone else catch NBC SN's coverage of the Notre Dame vs Boston College game yesterday?

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Interviews with cheerleaders, people sitting around a coffee table gibber jabbering about nothing in a 3-way split screen. The announcers sounded like they were calling an episode of the Kardashian's not a college football game. I realize this young generation has an attention span of 1.6 seconds, but there's no excuse for turning this sport into a soap opera. I do not want NBC getting the SEC tv contract if this is their idea of covering football.
I didn't watch but I think NBCSN's was an alternate broadcast and the "normal" broadcast was on NBC.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I don't think you have anything to worry about. First of all, NBC is not going to let go of the Notre Dame contract. Second, Notre Dame isn't going to share NBC with anyone else. IMO, they are somewhat stuck with one another.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I sincerely hope a Disney/Hulu/whomever don't get the contract. I dislike commercials intensely, but at least with the networks more people have access to them. Personally I would love it like real football (aka soccer) like the EPL where there are no commercials except at halftime. The flow of the game is uninterrupted and so much more enjoyable. Going to live games you get the players standing around during commercial time outs which ruins the flow of the game. I know football games will never be commercial free, but it would be so good if the number of commercials could be reduced.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
But some are better than others. I think CBS has got away with putting out a lazy product for too long. If they just took 1 extra game a week then I would probably be more supportive of it. Because it really forces other networks’s hands At where to put games. That’s how we get stuck with bad times
No offense intended but I believe that that in most cases bad games end up in bad time slots and that we have more than our share of bad games. New Mexico State and Western Carolina, Now that's weak, we're lucky those don't kick off at 7:00 am. Southern Miss is a bit better but still sad. About the only thing that can be said for Duke is that they're a member of a Power Five conference and a helluva basketball school. Of course we have no choice with other SEC schools that are suffering hard times such as Arkansas, but they still often contribute to the bad time slots we receive. I hope the current trend toward upgrading the schedule continues but regret that the effects won't be seen for a few years.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It sounds like that with the next contract every SEC team will probably get an additional 15-20 Million per year. The money keeps rolling in!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No offense intended but I believe that that in most cases bad games end up in bad time slots and that we have more than our share of bad games. New Mexico State and Western Carolina, Now that's weak, we're lucky those don't kick off at 7:00 am. Southern Miss is a bit better but still sad. About the only thing that can be said for Duke is that they're a member of a Power Five conference and a helluva basketball school. Of course we have no choice with other SEC schools that are suffering hard times such as Arkansas, but they still often contribute to the bad time slots we receive. I hope the current trend toward upgrading the schedule continues but regret that the effects won't be seen for a few years.
I don't think that noon or 3:30 time slots are "bad". The B1G plans a lot of its premier games in those time slots and gets great attendance and viewership. Those time slots can produce monster ratings.

The problem with those time slots in the South is the heat. JMO, but the SEC should negotiate with a major priority - the premier game of the week should be played at night every week. Reward your great teams with time slots that will produce better crowds.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think that noon or 3:30 time slots are "bad". The B1G plans a lot of its premier games in those time slots and gets great attendance and viewership. Those time slots can produce monster ratings.

The problem with those time slots in the South is the heat. JMO, but the SEC should negotiate with a major priority - the premier game of the week should be played at night every week. Reward your great teams with time slots that will produce better crowds.
It really is the heat. By mid-October it's not that big of a deal. I do enjoy the Big Ten breaking away from the pack and having a good game at 11:00 AM. That's been an under utilized time slot for many years, and it works for them.

As for our "bad" games though, back in the day we could put those on pay-per-view and make several million dollars on them, and not share a dime of it with the rest of the conference.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I couldnt imagine a TOSU- Michigan game at night at that time of the year. I think Fox and the Big 10 have a better relationship with each other than the SEC and CBS, and they try to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. Heck I would say the Fox pregame is probably better than SEC Nation and College Gameday.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
It sounds like that with the next contract every SEC team will probably get an additional 15-20 Million per year. The money keeps rolling in!
About time! Should have been raised to that when aTm and MO were added. The contract was, and still is, at $55M. Meaning the annual payout to the schools prior to expansion was $3.93M (14 shares-SEC office received 2). After expansion that became $3.66M (15 shares-SEC office receives one).

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
But some are better than others. I think CBS has got away with putting out a lazy product for too long. If they just took 1 extra game a week then I would probably be more supportive of it. Because it really forces other networks’s hands At where to put games. That’s how we get stuck with bad times
TOTALLY AGREE!!!They are also still in the 90s with regards to their mobile platforms. They are notoriously cheap too and this deal will blow the old one out of the water! We’re going to see just how badly they want to keep football.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Don’t discount DAZN either. They are shelling out serious coin and this type of contract might get them into the mainstream tv market. I think [emoji848] it’ll be a long shot though.
Pardon my ignorance: DAZN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Whatever the deal it should also include free streaming on whatever network they land on. This was a difference maker for me when MLB/Braves finally allowed FoxSports to stream all Braves games without me having to buy the MLB package to have access to 29 teams that I couldn't care less about.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.